Gransnet forums

Chat

I had no idea how pleased I would be!

(53 Posts)
Applegran Sun 13-Dec-20 10:15:50

I've just had a phone call from my GP surgery asking if I'd like to go to have the vaccination against Covid19! I am feeling so so happy and so so lucky! I hope other gransnetters are also having this fabulous news - or will soon. I realise some people will have different feelings about this, and what you think and want of course may be unlike me. But it has made me think about very different kinds of things to be grateful for - small things, like unexpected sunlight on a cloudy day, hearing inspiring music, seeing spring flowers, a small kindness from a friend , a smile from a stranger, a starlit night sky, a child's laugh.........looking out for small moments of joy can make a huge difference to life. From time to time I keep a gratitude diary - writing in a note book each evaning three things I'm grateful for and why. It does make a difference, even, or perhaps especially, when life feels grey or dull or difficult. I wonder what other Gransnetters find to be grateful for?

Applegran Wed 16-Dec-20 09:37:04

I am just home from recieving my first injection of the Covid vaccine! Wonderful! Very well organised at the surgery - apart from a nurse asking me if I was Wendy - which I am not! But they did get my identy right, gave me a virtually painless jab, and after a 15 minute wait sent me on my way. I have a card with the details on, which I bring back for my second jab in January. I am feeling fine! I do hope others will be as lucky as this and soon get their vaccinations too.

Shropshirelass Tue 15-Dec-20 09:31:50

Brilliant news. We will have the vaccination when we are offered it. My DH is extremely clinically vulnerable so hopefully it won’t be too long.

skunkhair63 Mon 14-Dec-20 22:53:56

I am taking MiL, aged 91, for her first Covid vaccination tomorrow. She is so excited to be taking this first step back towards a more normal life. I was disappointed to hear on the news that my age group will probably have to wait until after Easter though!

LauraNorder Mon 14-Dec-20 22:14:34

Great news Applegran, good to see so many keen to have their jabs, light at the end of the long tunnel. I will probably get mine around Feb or March and can’t wait to be part of the army that defeats the misery.
Lovely to be grateful for so many things large and small, from children’s laughter to life itself.
Lovely thread , thank you

Applegran Mon 14-Dec-20 21:46:37

I know some people are uneasy about taking the vaccine - but looking at the list sent by Olive53, most of the potential issues won't apply to me or most other Gransnetters - we are, for instance, unlikely to be pregnant or breast feeding. And yes - its a new vaccine and we cannot be sure about long term effects, but we do know that other vaccines do not have bad long term effects and we have to weigh up unknown risks (which are in all likelihood not serious ones) against the risk of getting a virus which has tragically given many older people really awful deaths. Add to that, the fact that in being vaccinated we are part of a process which will protect many others - it's a real incentive to be supportive of our wider community. Its win/win. So life offers us choices and for me it is clear that having the vaccine is the way to go. I hope others will see it like this too.

Olive53 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:51:37

I wonder if the Facebook fact checkers will fact check this.....hmmm FACEBOOK FACT CHECKERS HAVE SO FAR BEEN STUMPED ???????????
1. The vaccine is not safe for pregnant women or women planning on becoming pregnant within a few months of taking the vaccine
2) The vaccine is not safe for those that are immuno suppressed
3) No testing has been done to determine any long-term side effects
4) No testing has been done to determine side effects if taken with long term medications
5) It is unknown if the vaccine will cause infertility
6) Taking the vaccine will not stop you spreading the virus but will only reduce your symptoms (for years the doctors told us to rest, take paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids to achieve the same result)
7) You can't breastfeed if you have had the vaccine
? The vaccine has not been tested on children and may not be suitable for young persons under the age of 16
9) The vaccine is only 95% effective....meaning 5% of people that had the vaccine still had severe covid19 symptoms....the demograph and outcome of those 5% of people are being withheld...
10) Average age of death of persons in UK over past 10 years - 81years old....Average age of death of persons dying with/from Covid19 in 2020 - 82 years old
11) If the mortality rate of 0.3% is unacceptable for covid19 virus....why is 5% now an acceptable rate for vaccine failure?
12) If the vaccine is safe....why do the government and manufacturers accept no responsibility for death or injury resulting from the vaccine?

WAKE UP PEOPLE...WE ARE THE LAB RATS

Now if I gathered this info off the UK government website....does that still make me a conspiracy theorist, an antivaxxer....or a fact checker?

hulahoop Mon 14-Dec-20 15:45:06

It's good to hear vaccinations are now getting going good luck to all ?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 14-Dec-20 14:50:58

Congrats! I am looking forward to similar news.

It is so nice to read such a happy thread.

On the early side, I know, but Happy Christmas and good health (and wealth) to you all in the new year!

Lettice Mon 14-Dec-20 14:01:12

Lovely Applegran. Isn't it absurd how some little things can give one a real glow. I walked along a disused rail track very early yesterday and a juvenile hedgehog scurried across the path. I think my smile could have been seen from space.

Situpstraight2 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:16:05

We cant wait, but I will probably have to as I’m not vulnerable.

Let us know how you get on.

Teacheranne Mon 14-Dec-20 13:01:42

I’m hoping that my Mum ( age 89) gets the vaccine soon so visiting restrictions at her care home can be lifted. The staff there have not yet had their jabs either and neither have the home received the test kits promised by the government. I’ve only seen my mum twice in a tent since the end of March!

Doodledog Mon 14-Dec-20 12:57:47

Congratulations, Applegran!

I am looking forward to getting mine, too, although it won't be for a while yet. Enjoy your freedom when you get it smile.

Nannina Mon 14-Dec-20 12:51:29

I am so pleased for you Applegran and your delight is obvious. Whilst there are some who, for various reasons, won’t have the vaccine there a lot who will and have the same new lease of life feeling as you. I’ve a while to wait for mine but I’m sure I’ll have a similar reaction

HannahLoisLuke Mon 14-Dec-20 12:49:59

Lovely news Applegran. Can’t wait for mine, I’m 76 and clinically vulnerable so hoping it won’t be too long.

JenniferEccles Mon 14-Dec-20 12:42:47

That’s wonderful news and it’s also so encouraging that virtually everyone who has commented on here is equally as enthusiastic.

The virus is perfectly safe. We have repeatedly been told that.
Yes it has been produced quickly but no safety measures have been compromised. There are explanations online setting out exactly how it was produced so quickly which should reassure those who still have doubts.

Just make sure you don’t read the anti-vaccine dangerous nonsense.

I desperately hope the take up is very high, or this situation will drag on and on.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:25:37

Craftycat

I've just received a letter from NHS asking to to take part in a Covid testing research survey. I just have to use a swab in nose & throat & they will send a courier to take the them back.
I am very happy to do this (especially as I thought it was going to be the dreaded bowel movement test!)
I will get the results when they have done them.
I am sure I have not had any symptoms of Covid but it will be nice to be 100% sure.

Did the bowel sample last month. It's changed! Just one needed now not three. All was clear smile

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:23:51

So pleased for you. Think I will be well into next year (71)

I'm pleased too that others are keen to get theirs. I'm, however, fed up and shocked with the anti-vax campaigns I read about.

Applegran Mon 14-Dec-20 12:22:22

Polnan I am so sorry you feel despondent and really appreciate your celebrating for me getting my vaccine injection. I am sending a hug and hope something happens which lifts you soon. flowers

Spec1alk Mon 14-Dec-20 12:13:23

Great news Applegran!

Craftycat Mon 14-Dec-20 12:09:14

I've just received a letter from NHS asking to to take part in a Covid testing research survey. I just have to use a swab in nose & throat & they will send a courier to take the them back.
I am very happy to do this (especially as I thought it was going to be the dreaded bowel movement test!)
I will get the results when they have done them.
I am sure I have not had any symptoms of Covid but it will be nice to be 100% sure.

catladyuk Mon 14-Dec-20 12:08:31

That is good news Applegran.
I had a call from the surgery last wednesday offering me the vaccine one day next week but I am not sure.
I feel that there have not been long enough trials to see the full results of what the side effects may be.
Of course I am not ungrateful but I just don't want to take a chance. I have no serious health problems, just high cholesterol and blood pressure so it is merely due to my age and I would rather let someone more deserving take my place.
I'm sure I am not alone in feeling this way and many more of you have similar reservations

Jillybird Mon 14-Dec-20 11:49:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

travelsafar Mon 14-Dec-20 11:49:07

I felt grateful to be able to get out for a walk this morning in the wintery sunshine. although in great pain i managed to do 45mins as i chose my route careful so i could sit on a seat halfway round. To top it all i heard a couple of robins singing and most of all i saw a beautiful Jay hopping in some wet leaves. By the time i had taken my phone out of my pocket and set the camera it had flown away.

Ro60 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:44:09

Congratulations Applegran it's good to 'know' someone who is actually going to get it already.
Love you already ? totally agree with the positive posts - the 'smaller picture' I call it.
Grateful for Gransnet you're my alternative Girls Night Out ?

bear1 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:40:21

i have copd although only stage 1 and have managed to stay that way for last 5 years i have thought alot about if i should have the vaccine my decision yes i will have it now just waiting to be called