Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it ok to be Australian on this site?

(93 Posts)
Ehlana Mon 14-Dec-20 11:59:03

I'm originally from UK now living in Australia since 1974 and was wondering if it's ok to be on this site. smile

MayBee70 Fri 18-Dec-20 23:30:30

I often listen to Radio Melbourne or Radio Sport 927. Used to tune in to listen to the Melbourne Cup but now I do it sometimes so I can pretend to myself that I’m in Australia. I like the talk about precipitation and adverts for Peter the Possum man.

Marmight Fri 18-Dec-20 23:12:35

Wow EllanVannin! I know it well. DD is in Curl Curl. There’s a confirmed case in DeeWhy shock

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 23:00:34

One person with COVID caught a plane from Sydney to Queensland. I wonder if travellers were wearing masks?
It only takes one.

EllanVannin Fri 18-Dec-20 22:59:07

Near Dee Why.

EllanVannin Fri 18-Dec-20 22:58:05

Marmight, my D and family are also on the Northern Beaches.

Marmight Fri 18-Dec-20 22:53:47

DD and her family live on the Northern Beaches, NSW where there have been a number of confirmed cases. SiL was in an Uber with a contact so is being tested today. All a bit worrying. They’re on lockdown now for 3 days which doesn’t sound long confused

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 11:40:35

Oh dear, worrying.
The number of cases is few but they have travelled, one on a plane to Queensland apparently.

infoman Fri 18-Dec-20 10:27:37

Not good news:
www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-18/nsw-coronavirus-ten-new-cases-bringing-total-to-28/12996622

Rufus2 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:41:16

Throw a phish on the barbie
Callistemon It's "Chish" as in "Chish and Fips" a Spoonerism if you know what I mean!
Useful for disguising naughty remarks. tchgrin
Actually we are more sophisticated than you can imagine; there has been panic buying of lobsters! tchhmm
OoRoo

Rufus2 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:26:32

Not every Aussie has Christmas on the beach
jaylucy Welcome! Unfortunately you're spot on this year as far as Queenslanders and NSW residents are concerned because they haven't any beaches left after recent storms and torrential rain washed them out to sea! tchhmm
Rest assured that can't happen in Victoria!
OoRoo

LauraNorder

I still have a slight Aussie twang when I’m cross as in ‘go bite ya bum’. But also sometimes a bit of scouse

You poor thing! That must be painful! tchshock
OoRoo

LauraNorder Wed 16-Dec-20 11:17:02

I thought she was a dinky die Australian. Oh well no worries cobber.
Never did like kangaroo steaks anyway and barbies in December how jolly uncivilised what.

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Dec-20 10:23:55

jaylucy fair dinkum!

henetha Wed 16-Dec-20 10:21:08

Strewth!

jaylucy Wed 16-Dec-20 10:20:56

I lived in Victoria for a few years !
Sorry to break the bubble, but not every Aussie has Christmas on the beach , especially when a fairly large chunk of the population lives inland !

Callistemon Wed 16-Dec-20 10:16:28

Leave Michael P alone, Rufus
He's a gem

A brightly coloured one

Callistemon Wed 16-Dec-20 10:15:07

FannyCornforth

If OP returns I'll eat my barbied corked hat...

Throw a phish on the barbie, FannyC!

Rufus2 Wed 16-Dec-20 10:10:02

If OP returns I'll eat my barbied corked hat
Fanny C. You're on a safe bet, but if you do have to eat, let me know "cos I've got the perfect sauce to enhance the flavour/taste of cork and cardboard. It's 6months past its use-by date which adds a certain something......out of this world! tchgrin
OoRoo

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Dec-20 05:42:45

If OP returns I'll eat my barbied corked hat...

Spice101 Wed 16-Dec-20 05:34:27

Another born and bred Aussie here Ehlana. Welcome to Gransnet.

Rufus2 Wed 16-Dec-20 04:12:55

Ps do you have any beige chinos?
tchgrin
(I have btw)
Callistemon No!. Why? Are you selling/upsizing? tchhmm
Being the eldest of 3 siblings there was no chance of wearing hand-me-downs; blue is my colour, but no jeans please.
Completely unsuitable for any gentleman, and lady come to that, over 40.
Or are you ditching the drab beige look in favour of a return to the hot-pants era or even a Michael P. look-alike? tchgrin
Good Health
OoRoo

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Dec-20 17:51:55

Rufus2

^Who’s Rufus?^
Toad it Hole Me! Sorry to have kept you! Thanks for asking!
A Grandad, a rare sighting these days around these parts.

Not long ago we established that Yorkshire Pud. was Toad in the Hole minus the sausage.
So now we can assume that you are Yorkshire Pud with a sausage which has been a convoluted way of saying that you are a Grandad. True or False?
It's just that I have a subliminal image based on your nickname.! tchgrin
I'm a resident of Melbourne,. hence my interest in this thread. You can ask me anything!
OoRoo

No. She is a woman tchgrin

BlueSapphire Tue 15-Dec-20 16:19:01

Welcome, I used to live in Darwin, and have relatives in Port Douglas and Brisbane. I enjoy Rufus's postings.

Rufus2 Tue 15-Dec-20 14:49:56

Who’s Rufus?
Toad it Hole Me! Sorry to have kept you! Thanks for asking!
A Grandad, a rare sighting these days around these parts.

Not long ago we established that Yorkshire Pud. was Toad in the Hole minus the sausage.
So now we can assume that you are Yorkshire Pud with a sausage which has been a convoluted way of saying that you are a Grandad. True or False?
It's just that I have a subliminal image based on your nickname.! tchgrin
I'm a resident of Melbourne,. hence my interest in this thread. You can ask me anything!
OoRoo

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 14:17:44

Thank you, DH is just having a look, not sure if we can get that programme.

infoman Tue 15-Dec-20 13:47:26

If any one is near a telly,
Talking pictures at ten past two on tuesday(thats today)is showing Christmas in Australia in 1947.
Thats the year and not the time.
Sorry for late advice,only just spotted the programme.