Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(82 Posts)
12Michael Wed 16-Dec-20 06:14:35

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its a dry start with a bit of wind here in Brackley this morning .
Yesterday , was somewhat a change of plan , due to the current situation as to getting my haircut on site so to speak , it was one person at a time , I had originally planned to go to Bicester .
The other , was my items of beer and German food , which was scheduled to arrive by DHL between 0800 and 1400 , this did not happen so I contacted them and DHL using Facebook and Twitter , and got a email with a number on it, which could tell me what my number was as to delivery and how far the driver had got up to my given number , it eventually arrived at 1745 , as it was perishable goods , I unpacked asap , placing food items in the freezer , box also contained ice packs as well, plus 2021 calendar, all the way from Dartford , genuine German food which after 31st December will see a massive price increase .
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Wed 16-Dec-20 14:32:38

Ah, thanks Megs for update! I don’t think I’ve spotted you on here before but that doesn’t mean much! It’s nice to ‘place’ people and hear what their weather is like. I like Alygran’s posts as our eldest daughter lives in North Yorkshire - good to know what’s happening over those Pennines!

Remember the days when this thread was all wrapped up by noon? Posts but very rarely comments. I like it much better these days. More interesting. Friendlier somehow.
?

Megs36 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:17:40

Hello Urmstongran, I’ve been posting (lurking) on GM for years intermittently, I live in the SE, Home Counties, weather wet and windy today, house worth....beyond price??. I have often mentioned my husbands and my health problems but really of no interest to anyone, just this weeks results such a relief because this last year like most people we have been largely ignored I felt I needed to mention them.

Pantglas2 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:07:10

Just popping back to offer LauraNorder one of my Aber Falls Orange Marmalade Gin cocktail?wot I will be partaking thereof this evening to lift her spirits ...tee hee!

I don’t always post each morning but do read all posts and keep up with folks news, good, bad and middling!

It’s such a lovely uplifting thread with folks wishing each other well as we all go through tough times don’t we? Keep popping in as and when is my motto?

Urmstongran Wed 16-Dec-20 13:55:35

I’ve taken the ☕️ thank you LauraNorder and am enjoying it now, sat on my bed doing not much really (apart from very important surfing on here).
#lazygran

Please don’t leave GM for soops!
It doesn’t have to be an either/or. We’d miss you.
Do both! I’m going to anyway as both threads are a comfort.

Auntieflo Wed 16-Dec-20 13:14:07

Well the first one disappeared, so try again. Apologies and Good Afternoon, * Mick*, Annie and all.

I didn't feel too good early on, so have been sitting here finishing off some knitting. I have also ordered a new mattress.
DH had rather raised eyebrows, but he knows me too well.
A friend called to deliver a prezzie and tell me her woes re the boiler and hot water cylinder. All sorted now, thank goodness.
I was going to make fondant icing for the christmas cake, but found that I only have half a packet of icing sugar. So a trip to the shop, but perhaps tomorrow.
Lovely to hear ongoing good news of Iris. It reminds me so much of when DD was 7 and in plaster from waist to toes, both legs, and in a frame that kept her rigid. Bless them , they don't complain, do they?
Oh gosh, thought I was going to lose this one as well, so will end up now, with thoughts to Beauregard
Also to any Others in the sick bay at the moment.
Have a good day one and all.

Grandmafrench Wed 16-Dec-20 13:10:07

Hmmm! Bet you're only saying that because you'll get cake, Laura !!!!! Do please continue to post here when you can. Have you not noticed now that sometimes this thread goes on into the afternoon and you don't have to post every day, but we'd miss you - and Pants would probably feel pretty foolish with no one to blame for her rotten weather days. grin

But you're not letting anyone down, that's the lovely thing about nice threads: you can do as you like. Take care and keep the glass half full if you can. I think if someone can say they don't have down days, then they're probably telling porky pies!

Keep safe - I've taken that cake, thanks. If I see you in the Kitchen, I may ask you to step away from the cake/sausage rolls/brownie/hot chocs and marshmallows etc., Empty worktops do nothing for me........

LauraNorder Wed 16-Dec-20 12:56:40

Sorry but good afternoon, I know I’m letting the side down, think I’ll transfer to soops kitchen after today but of course I’ll lurk here to keep up with you all.
Lovely to hear that Iris is making such good progress grandMattie what a little star. I am very envious of your sewing skill.
Tough day for you Beauregard flowers.
Urms I love your tree, colourful and cheering. Your cinnamon/nutmeg thing made me chuckle.
Poor old Pantglas I have bad news for you, much more wind and rain coming your way, I’m not blowing it your way honest injun.
I get the feeling everyone on this thread is a glass half full type but sometimes even the strongest of us can have a wobble and it’s lovely that we can share that and get a big fat gransnet hug.
flowerswinebrewcupcakesmiletchwink take whatever you need today.

BlueSapphire Wed 16-Dec-20 12:13:07

I love cinnamon and nutmeg! The one herb I can't stand is coriander leaves, tastes vile, and they will keep putting it in curries. The spice is fine, but the actual leaves are the food of the devil.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 16-Dec-20 12:01:14

Just in. It is so cold and grey outside after a beautiful night when I felt as if I could see every single star in the sky. I sat outside wrapped in a blanket with a cup of tea. I’ve collected various orders without contact with people and need to calm down. Because I go out only to the pharmacy I’ve become a hermit. I will have to brave the petrol station but it was too busy when I passed, so maybe later.
Beau I am thinking of you today. bella. Let the bank take the strain now. I had my card taken, when I was at a hospital appointment and it felt like a violation but the bank sorted it. I haven’t forgotten how horrible it felt so I really sympathise.
Some lovely tree photos and I have just hefted the very small but heavy, potted real tree into position. I also have had a twiggy tree up for a few days so it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
Some family will come and stay in the annex for a couple of days and we will have hot chocolate in the garden together and play games online but stay isolated. They are coming from a key worker situation and need the rest.
Off to read the thread. Thinking of you all.

BlueSapphire Wed 16-Dec-20 11:59:22

Hello from a dull and damp Northampton. I seem to be getting later and later, but have just sat down with a coffee, and will go back and read all your greetings later.

Been on the phone to the hospital, trying to re-arrange an appointment they gave me for Christmas Eve afternoon. Could I go Monday instead they asked me - no I can't as reliant on my daughter for transport and she can't get time off work at such short notice. So they finally said they would re-arrange for mid January. Luckily it's for nothing serious/urgent.

Finished Christmas decorations yesterday; I've only really done the sitting room, but have put some cards up in the hall. Have also got a little Christmas tree and a wreath up in the porch. There's only me going to see it anyway. When DH was alive and we were hosting I used to go to town on decorations.

Will make a start on wrapping presents this afternoon - should be safe to do it then as the cats will be napping and not trying to help! They have not bothered the tree too much yet. Must put some Christmas music on whilst wrapping.

Going back now to read and catch up! Hope today treats us well.

Marydoll Wed 16-Dec-20 11:54:29

Oh Borrheid, you are obviously a crossword fanatic. DH has been working on the Sunday Times one since Sunday! ?

I don't want to boast, but I managed to solve some of the clues he was stuck with. He was not amused! ?

EllanVannin Wed 16-Dec-20 11:51:13

Hope today is a better day for you Nortsat. It's no fun when you're feeling under the weather.

Mapleleaf Wed 16-Dec-20 11:49:03

Good morning from a dreary, damp South Yorkshire.

I'm running late today as I've been faffing around doing various jobs but have found time to sit with a coffee and post here.

I've read a few posts but not all yet, as there's rather a lot to get through. Lovely to hear that Iris is doing so well, grandMattie and good to read that your parcel of goodies arrived, mick albeit a bit later in the day than expected - I imagine the delivery people are rushed off their feet.

Sorry you are feeling low today, Bellasnana, but you've had a shock with the card hacking. At least the bank are sorting it, but even so, it's been a very unpleasant experience for you. There are some bad souls out there, I'm afraid.

? Beauregard - a difficult day for you.

Your tree looks pretty, urmston. You definitely chose the best day to do it.

Well, take care everyone.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:43:14

Grandmafrench isn't it just?? I know I wouldn't be able to resist cuddling the GC in the flesh and they are both at school.
Pantglas2. My best Xmas memory of Llandudno - Nain had told us Father Christmas was landing his helicopter on the Gt Orme (which we could see from the street). I was walking down to Lloyd Street and passed the back of that church - it was dark, the lights were on in the church, and I could hear "oh come, all ye faithfull" being sung on Xmas eve - I was mesmerised, it was beautiful. Whenever I hear that hymn I am transported to Clifton Road. Sadly I believe the church is now flats?

Nortsat Wed 16-Dec-20 11:36:16

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where it is quite bright.
I have had a rough couple of days .. so I just popped in to wish everyone a good day. ?

Urmstongran Wed 16-Dec-20 11:32:20

Hi to you Megs36 ?
You omitted to remind us where you’re posting from, what the weather is like and the value of your ?
?

Stilllearning Wed 16-Dec-20 11:27:22

Beauregard, sincere thoughts to you on this difficult day.
Also thinking about you Bellasnana, it’s horrible when the ‘down bits’ overwhelm you, really hope you feel better very soon.

Megs36 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:18:00

Morning all. Two hosp apps.this week for my husband and at different hospitals believe it or not ,Tuesday Lung function,, COPD , Today ultra sound , Aortic Aneurysm, both no change from last tests TG? Each appointment early and car park reasonably empty, seems almost normal ?? Always a relief each time. Thanks again NHS.

Borrheid55 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:17:35

Morning all from a bright but chilly Kent.
Marydoll I used to go past those villas twice a day for six years ( when I wasn’t off school) . My mum’s best friend lived in “Linfield” about half way along. There are some nice houses along that road! And I’ve only been in the Inns once - about 15 years ago I met a school friend ( year above us!) for a catch up.
Great to read of all the plans despite the virus. I do worry though about after Christmas particularly here in Kent. Our ‘per 100,000’ rate has more than tripled in three weeks ( 150->549) . No wonder my DH had his op cancelled! I hope the 5 day relaxation is cancelled. Maybe not a popular thing to do but surely we need to be thinking about the health of the nation.
I have another quiet day planned, let’s see if I can finish the Times crossword in less than 20 minutes ( my time yesterday)
Have a good day all, stay safe!

Grandmafrench Wed 16-Dec-20 11:14:26

Gwen what a fabulously efficient and inclusive and reassuring Christmas Day has been organised. Not what you wanted but you're all making the best of it. Just wait until we can get out and about and mixing again - you'll be able to 'phone from your house and complain about our party noise I reckon. Be sure to have a nice day.
GrandmaB - the little devil. Think that's the day's excitement over with, then, it'll hopefully be more restful from here on in.....grin
?‍♀️Have a good day, Cherry
And I especially like nutmeg on buttery spinach. And I love cinnamon - but as we all know, there's nowt as queer as folk. grin

hulahoop Wed 16-Dec-20 11:07:01

Good morning from a wet Yorkshire .To all having a bad day ? I wish government would make up their minds about Christmas .We have been in tier three for a long time now happy to stay there but feel for pubs etc..I think having people hanging not knowing is cruel plus people need to know what food to buy .

Taichinan Wed 16-Dec-20 11:06:47

Good morning all. It's black as pitch on the Angus coast today. I'm up late again as I didn't go to sleep until about five this morning. This is getting ridiculous! But at least I'm getting about four hours' sleep, which is better than none.
I eventually read through yesterday's thread at about 2am this morning, so I wonder when I'll read today's.
I have lots on my to do list today, but most involves being out and about, which doesn't look appealing. Perhaps tomorrow - it's another day.
Have as good a day as you can everybody ??

Oldbutstilluseful Wed 16-Dec-20 11:05:31

Urms ??

CherryCezzy Wed 16-Dec-20 10:59:42

Good morning everyone from a wet Gower.

Great news that Iris is doing so well grandMattie, she's one strong brave little girl.

Beauregard, I will be thinking of you today, I still miss my wonderful brother but have so many fabulous loving memories he lives now in my heart ?

? for all of you struggling at the moment. Take care and stay safe everyone.

Urmstongran Wed 16-Dec-20 10:58:26

Cinnamon in macaroni cheese? For heaven’s sake, that sounds just horrid

Oh goodness! Where was my head this morning?
I actually realised it was NUTMEG in that Mac & cheese!!

I don’t like cinnamon.
I like nutmeg on a custard tart though.
Oh do keep up.