Gransnet forums

Chat

Forget frugality!! What’s your luxury?

(150 Posts)
Missfoodlove Wed 16-Dec-20 09:35:18

I’m loving Petunias thread on frugality.
I’d love to hear what you will not scrimp on!
Mine is butter, it has to be a famous French brand.
Also I just adore cashmere, I buy 1 quality cashmere jumper a year.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Dec-20 11:45:01

If anyone fancies treating themselves to some No 7 skincare, this gift box is currently on sale for about a quarter of the value. It’s sold out online but still in store. Mine’s being delivered today. smile

www.boots.com/no7-skincare-stars-the-star-of-the-show-christmas-gift-set-10282210

BlueSky Wed 16-Dec-20 11:47:52

Definitely a warm house when needed, after years of being forced to freeze by ex husband’s purposely mean controlling ways!

glammanana Wed 16-Dec-20 12:08:24

I've always bought the best of food either Waitrose or M&S such a good & no waste at all.
Jo Malone candle's when I can get to the store to buy them & her shower gel.
Good coffee & tea are a must.

mokryna Wed 16-Dec-20 12:13:17

V3ra

I needed new slippers and could have asked for some for Christmas, but decided I wanted a more expensive pair than anyone would buy me. So I've bought them myself.
They're from Shepherd and they're a red sheepskin bootee style and cost £65. The rave reviews on Amazon convinced me to buy them and I am so glad I did, they feel like someone is giving my feet a hug ?

Damn, wish this had been posted twenty-four hours earlier as I have just started wearing a new pair of slippers that don’t seem so comfortable as those.

BlueSapphire Wed 16-Dec-20 12:20:54

Chanel perfume, lipsticks and nail polish. Used to buy real cheapo stuff, but nothing beats pulling a Chanel lipstick out of my bag to re-apply! Also booking business class when I fly, and booking the best possible cabin when I go on a cruise. Obviously not done either this year, but I wait in hope.....

sodapop Wed 16-Dec-20 12:32:48

Books - the cost of postage to France is expensive but I read a lot and quickly,
Clarins face serum and cream

Parsley3 Wed 16-Dec-20 12:39:03

My real luxury is keeping my little car. It really is not essential but I love the freedom it gives me.

Nanna58 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:01:10

Fresh flowers.
Good quality food ( to cook , not ready made)
My highlights.
My 4 designer handbags , although not sure that counts as I didn’t pay anywhere near full price for any of them!

M0nica Wed 16-Dec-20 13:13:08

Top quality food. No, not caviar and steak, but food that is made or reared to the highest standards. My bread comes from a local bakery who raises and bakes bread, rather than extruding it and steaming it, like supermarket bread. It is made from locally grown organic flour.

All my meat is organic or similar. The beef comes from a local Pasture for Life farm, these cattle are reared on unimproved pasture. It takes longer to get to maturity, requires longer cooking, but the emissions from the cattle, their rearing cycle and pasture maintenance is as low as it can be, much lower than the usual figures quoted. Fortunately I am a casserole and stew cook, so I am buying the cheaper cuts and I have reduced average portion size from 4oz to 2oz.

My health and of those I care about, and the health of our environment are my key concerns, and one way of doing this is by being fussy about the quality of my food and buying the best.

aquagran Wed 16-Dec-20 14:04:42

Casdon Just read your post - Cosco sell huge jars of Geeta’s Mango Chutney. We agree...delicious!

LaRia44 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:21:30

A warm house
healthy and tasty home cooked food
Estee Lauder A N R
Imedeen tablets for skin
Keeping my glasses updated with stylish frames

petra Wed 16-Dec-20 14:29:46

Turbot from the Cornish fisherman company.

annsixty Wed 16-Dec-20 15:19:43

Someone told me today that her H is buying her Creed perfume as just one of her Christmas gifts.
I had never heard of it so googled and the price shocked me.
£200/ £500 a bottle.
Now that is not luxury, that is beyond extravagant.

EllanVannin Wed 16-Dec-20 15:32:40

I've not long finished a Creed perfume, but was 30mls and not the 100mls or 150mls where the higher cost comes in.
I have a few drops of Estee Lauder Amber Mystique which was over £100 last year. I'll wait until next year to replenish it.

Bluebellwould Wed 16-Dec-20 15:43:06

A kindle book not on the free list, and a luxury yarn to crochet.

MamaCaz Wed 16-Dec-20 15:44:11

I can't think of any!
My OH, on the other hand, has plenty.
Thinking about it, I think there might be a link between those two things. ?

EllanVannin Wed 16-Dec-20 16:00:58

Brother sends me a cheque every Birthday and Christmas which is why I can afford such fripperies grin

Nortsat Wed 16-Dec-20 16:01:27

Molton Brown shower gel, hand wash and hand cream in bathrooms/loos.
Only Chanel no19 perfume ... wearing it around the house now, as well as for going out (if I ever do).
I have a lot of scarves and only buy silk or cashmere ones.
I have a lot of quite expensive jewellery and am now wearing that every day around the house.

BBbevan Wed 16-Dec-20 16:06:19

Good food, pretty underwear, loads of logs for the wood burner and lovely smelling candles .

Curlywhirly Wed 16-Dec-20 18:05:36

Heating on all day
Good food
No more cheap holidays (5* hotels if possible, never less than 4*)
Expensive perfume
Only leather handbags and shoes
Quality furniture and household items.

But, I am sometimes very frugal (having grown up in a poor household) spending money doesn't always come easy, some habits die hard!!

MawBe Wed 16-Dec-20 18:09:55

Nortsat

Molton Brown shower gel, hand wash and hand cream in bathrooms/loos.
Only Chanel no19 perfume ... wearing it around the house now, as well as for going out (if I ever do).
I have a lot of scarves and only buy silk or cashmere ones.
I have a lot of quite expensive jewellery and am now wearing that every day around the house.

You must look dead glam down the supermarket!?
Setting high standards tcrsmile

Callistemon Wed 16-Dec-20 18:13:06

petra

Callistamon
Fenjal shower gel. One of the many things I miss since I lost my smell and taste with that odd little germ that was going around before last Xmas.

My sense of smell seems to have returned, petra as I'd lost it after that odd little virus-that-wasn't-Covid I had last Christmas.

SuzannahM Wed 16-Dec-20 18:25:41

Organic food where possible.

Argan/jojoba/macadamia oils for hair and skin - only use oil to clean my face and give my scalp and hair a good oiling before washing.

A really lovely bubble bath, sulphate free and nicely scented.

GillT57 Wed 16-Dec-20 18:46:02

Heating on when I want it on, good quality bedding and towels, and good quality food. I would rather have less as long as it is good quality. My fruit and veg comes from the London markets ( via lovely enterprising village greengrocer) and although much more expensive than the supermarket equivalent, the quality cannot compare. I note the comments about cashmere; I think I may start on the policy of buying one good sweater a year, rather than the drawers full of average/poor quality ones I buy. False economy. Love L'Ocittane and hoping for some from Father Christmas.

Nortsat Wed 16-Dec-20 18:53:35

Mawbe ... I don’t go to the supermarket (shielding) but I can open the door to the Tesco’s delivery person, wearing Chanel no19 and my gold jewellery... ?