Gransnet forums

Chat

Forget frugality!! What’s your luxury?

(150 Posts)
Missfoodlove Wed 16-Dec-20 09:35:18

I’m loving Petunias thread on frugality.
I’d love to hear what you will not scrimp on!
Mine is butter, it has to be a famous French brand.
Also I just adore cashmere, I buy 1 quality cashmere jumper a year.

chicken Thu 17-Dec-20 15:50:35

My luxury is flowers, as many as possible. To assuage that guilty feeling I buy a huge boxful straight from a local-ish nursery, delivered fresh and postage free.

PipandFinn Thu 17-Dec-20 15:54:11

Silk Pillowcases.....

Puzzler61 Thu 17-Dec-20 15:54:47

Fresh flowers weekly (although they are good value - £2 to £3 for a bunch of roses at Aldi).
Naturally European room diffusers (fragrance sticks) in several rooms all year round. Freesia & Pear is my favourite.
Pukka Three Mint tea bags.
A nice perfume. I change the brands but they are all a luxury at over £50 a bottle now.

amazonia Thu 17-Dec-20 16:10:34

My electric Aga
Chanel No 5
Bendicks Bittermints
Cashmere
My 22 year old goosedown duvet is still a delight

Casdon Thu 17-Dec-20 16:19:52

I do feel very sorry for those of you who have posted that you are unable to afford any luxuries at all in your lives - many of the posters have identified thing that are very inexpensive but still a little luxury that enhances their lives, and life must be very hard indeed when you can’t afford to get yourself even a nice soap or a bunch of flowers. Here’s a virtual bunch which I hope helps just a little. flowers

cc Thu 17-Dec-20 16:36:18

I used to have regular massages and facials but have obviously not been able to go during lockdown. I'm still not going out much and have moved house so will need to find a new therapist who isn't too expensive.

Daddima Thu 17-Dec-20 16:39:34

Maggiemaybe

If anyone fancies treating themselves to some No 7 skincare, this gift box is currently on sale for about a quarter of the value. It’s sold out online but still in store. Mine’s being delivered today. smile

www.boots.com/no7-skincare-stars-the-star-of-the-show-christmas-gift-set-10282210

I usually buy my friend the Boots ‘special’ at Christmas, but I’ve bought her a gift already, so I think I’ll have that for me!
My daughter-in-law is shopping tomorrow, so if I still want it, it won’t be an ‘impulse buy’
Like Geekesse, I love my luxury bedding, in fact I alternate the two sets, and the polyester stays in the cupboard!

I got a £100 gift voucher last year, but still couldn’t bring myself to pay around £75 for a Jo Malone candle. I’d have been delighted if they had bought it for me, but I just couldn’t!

As others have said, I’m at an age where things like flowers, good food and wine are necessities.

garnet25 Thu 17-Dec-20 16:44:22

Anything in L'Occitane Vervain.

Travelling premium economy on long haul flights, I prefer the seat arrangement of 2 4 2.

Good very dark chocolate.

Maggiemaybe Thu 17-Dec-20 18:15:03

Go for it, Daddima! At the price it should possibly be on the “frugal” thread. smile

GagaJo Thu 17-Dec-20 18:47:27

Shoes are my weakness. I am a lot better now I can't wear high heels. Flats just don't have the same allure. Enforced saving!

Posh fruit. Passion fruits, lychees, mango, physalis.

Work clothes. The amount I am prepared to pay for flattering and elegant work dresses is higher than I would admit to. I make them last for years though! The one I am wearing today is 6 years old.

Unigran4 Thu 17-Dec-20 19:51:17

Jaxjacky - I could have written that myself! A warm house, communication with friends and family, enough (not excess) to eat, and anything to do with growing vegetables (I got my greenhouse 2 years ago).

Because of hard times when my DDs were young, I told them I would strive to provide them with everything they needed, but not necessarily everything they wanted. We got used to that, and now that is how I lead my life. My DDs, now grown, married with adult children of their own, continue to live that way too.

Jeanebean Thu 17-Dec-20 22:40:38

I had that odd little germ made me very unwell last Christmas
Are we thinking the same
Luxury’s ,, illy coffee and always butter and hot water bottle ?

Naninka Thu 17-Dec-20 23:27:09

My essentials are a warm house, hugs from my husband and seeing my beautiful GS and GD. Nothing else matters to me, other than my good health, of course.

Lexisgranny Thu 17-Dec-20 23:40:44

My iPad; good curtains; good coats.

My luxury that has turned out to be the most expensive, my electrical items for crafting, which I have had to give up as a hobby resulting from RH deteriorating. They languish hopefully in the loft against the day when the RH disappears and I can craft again.

hollysteers Thu 17-Dec-20 23:44:26

Rose and violet chocolates, new books in the Persephone editions, so stylish, silk pillowcases and regular theatre visits.

nadateturbe Thu 17-Dec-20 23:58:40

I think our luxury would be having two cars. We rarely go out at the same time but like having our own.
I appreciate how lucky I am.

Tedd1 Fri 18-Dec-20 10:09:36

My Blissy mulberry silk pillow case

Daddima Fri 18-Dec-20 15:57:22

Maggiemaybe

Go for it, Daddima! At the price it should possibly be on the “frugal” thread. smile

Maggiemaybe, from me to me, with love!

Riversidegirl Fri 18-Dec-20 16:01:50

Missfoodlove

I’m loving Petunias thread on frugality.
I’d love to hear what you will not scrimp on!
Mine is butter, it has to be a famous French brand.
Also I just adore cashmere, I buy 1 quality cashmere jumper a year.

President butter! Spreadable, made with cream not some ghastly oil.

BlueSapphire Fri 18-Dec-20 22:35:47

And I am booking business class to Australia as soon as I can to visit late DH's late relatives, who we were very close to.

BlueSky Fri 18-Dec-20 22:45:49

*That’s the way BlueSapphire!

lilypollen Fri 18-Dec-20 23:36:52

Flying Business Class on holiday. Because I'm worth it.

CanadianGran Sat 19-Dec-20 05:42:58

There are so many things, small or larger that I consider luxuries. It makes me realize I may have a hard time giving up certain things when I retire and my budget is less.

From buying magazines (love them!) and nice cheese while grocery shopping, to nice bubble bath, I have gotten used to these smaller luxuries. I grew up using dishwashing liquid as bubble bath, and never actually had a full bath until I moved away from home. The hot water police (father, bless his soul) would shout if he heard the water running for too long.

I am also blessed to be able to afford shoes I really don't need, luxurious slippers (Glerups - they're wonderful) and other clothing items that are more expensive than basic. I wouldn't say I'm a spendthrift, but definitely have gotten used to buying the thick bacon!

Also a fan of L'occitane hand cream and soap.

Rosiebee Sat 19-Dec-20 09:37:49

When DH was 70, I bought him a mixed case of good red wine. This went down a treat and he's since ordered different cases.
Our other luxury was holidays in far flung places. Gorgeous hotels and amazing experiences. Last one to Canada inc 2 days on Rocky Mountaineer was cancelled in May. Can't see us going again anytime soon.
I'm quite careful on a day to day basis, usually comparing prices between brands. Luxury is buying from Taste the Difference range at Sainsbury's or something ready made at M&S.