Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anything positive happened to you today? Would you like to share?

(234 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 22-Dec-20 11:27:16

Reading throught the threads this morning made me wonder if I should start a chatty thread, one that hopefully everyone could join in if they wished to do so.

As the Good Morningers know, after a lot of hassle with a blocked credit card, ( not me fault!), I bought a Santa lantern from Dobbies in their sale to replace one that I had, which had died.
When Santa arrived, he was leaning drunkenly against the glass, having had too much sherry on his rounds. There was no way I could fix it, as the unit was sealed.
I phoned Dobbies' customer service and got a very helpful young man, who mistakenly thought my name was Lady Marydoll I could visualise him bowing! I was going to wait to tell you all later that I have been given a seat in the House of Lords in the New Year's Honours list tchwink

We had a good laugh, when I tried to spell my email address using the phonetic alphabet, because I was hoarse and he was having difficulty with my Glasgow accent.

Anyway, I got a full refund without any hassle and the added bonus, I get to keep Santa!! tchgrin

That simple exchange has really cheered me up. It may have started out with a simple request for a refund I didn't need to even ask in the end, but it became a social interaction with someone other than my DH.
I love him dearly, but oh I do need some other company! I'm now waiting to waylay the postman for a chat!

Sarahmob Sat 16-Jan-21 13:38:01

I’ve heard that my new grandchild is going to be a boy (number 2). A girl would have been nice but as long as baby is healthy that’s all that really matters.

Witzend Sat 16-Jan-21 09:58:08

My nice new big sauté pan with a lid has arrived from John Lewis. Had to chuck the old one because the non stick coating was peeling off.

Froglady Sat 16-Jan-21 09:51:36

My nice postman has taken a couple of letters that I've written to put into the post for me, to save me having to go out to post them as it's a bit cold for me in my wheelchair this morning. All of our postmen round me are very kind and obliging like this.

nanna8 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:47:29

I know it is a bit pathetic but for years now I have been growing an avocado tree from a stone. It was potbound so I transplanted it to a much bigger pot about 10 days ago and thought it might die. Today I looked and it had put out a new shoot. We can’t usually grow them here, it is a bit too cold, so come Winter I shall put something round it to keep it warm!

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 09:29:45

Friend sent me this . I hope the link works. A delightful encounter
www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2021/01/15/laquila-lincontro-tra-il-cervo-e-il-gatto-tra-le-strade-innevate-lascia-a-bocca-aperta-video/6066514/

Kim19 Thu 07-Jan-21 08:36:07

Auntieflo, terrific perseverance with your cactus. Result well deserved! I had heartwarming news that my very good friends are a degree on the mend from what sounds like Covid. Tests are happening at last. Sources were their daughters. One in Tenerife, one in Canada. Wonderful instant internet.

ginny Wed 06-Jan-21 09:37:38

We were out yesterday when our lovely Post lady tried to deliver a parcel. She saw us walking home , turned around and bought it back. ?

DanniRae Wed 06-Jan-21 08:42:07

nanny2507 - I hope you get to hear that you are getting a video interview and that you are offered the job! smile

nanny2507 Sun 03-Jan-21 23:04:29

billybob thats amazing what wonderful news xx

nanny2507 Sun 03-Jan-21 23:02:31

I applied for a new job. I got a message today saying I had got through the first bit...just waiting to hear if I have got a video call interview or not

Taichinan Sun 03-Jan-21 23:01:45

A friend came round today and we had a lovely long doorstep - distanced - chat. She`s the first real live human being I have spoken to since Christmas Day and I did so appreciate it! I hope my joy made her feel good too!

Taichinan Sun 03-Jan-21 22:55:40

That`s beautiful Auntyflo!

Fennel Sat 02-Jan-21 19:40:03

Not today, but several times in the past few months -
I've been making the effort to keep up my daily walk and often someone overtaking me asks if I'm ok.
Poor old Granny tottering along I suppose. Usually they slow down and have a chat. Geordies are very kind.
And probably people everywhere if we give them a chance.

Auntieflo Sat 02-Jan-21 14:28:26

My Christmas cactus has flowered. I meant to post this picture a few days ago.
I was so pleased with it as I rescued it from a TLC corner and have lived it, talked to it, fed it etc for several years, and began to think it would never burst into life.
But it did, and I am so chuffed, and there are lots more buds to open.

ginny Wed 30-Dec-20 23:29:06

Today we booked tickets for next years Christmas pantomime. 23 rd Dec. Surely by then.

Alishka Wed 30-Dec-20 20:06:27

Had an Amazon Prime delivery, the usual ring doorbell and run sort. A large box which wasn't for me. Full name, and my postcode which I share with many people here around. So I registered with LinkedIn, to see if he was registered there. Suggestion came up for "someone I might know". Saw the photo and thought "too damned right I do. That's my Son"grin
And then my doorbell rang again. It was the bloke from nearby, who'd been alerted to the parcel having been delivered. Oh! the relief! And then I asked him if he'd been missing any meat over Xmas (another unwelcome Amazon Prime delivery, but only a code on it, no name, which was languishing in my freezer). And yes! it was his!
So, finally, was able to offload that, too.
And I have his/their tel.no. cos they'll certainly be having more Amazon deliveries in these strange times.
RESULT!
And it makes me SO happy!

Gwyneth Wed 30-Dec-20 19:43:25

Very positive day. Have date in January for check up at the dentist. Talk Talk coming next week to sort out my internet connection which has been super slow at times.

Taichinan Wed 30-Dec-20 19:30:36

I1ve been - predictably - down since my DS1 left on Xmas day so finding this lovely thread has been my best thing today!

Taichinan Wed 30-Dec-20 19:30:36

I1ve been - predictably - down since my DS1 left on Xmas day so finding this lovely thread has been my best thing today!

Taichinan Wed 30-Dec-20 19:24:26

That`s wonderful Billybob - the best news ever!

grandMattie Wed 30-Dec-20 17:37:42

Thrilled of my DGD’s news. Now, had the delight of DS2 planning to come and stay for a night or two from Friday! My best boy, I haven’t seen him since October and he only lives 30 minutes away. As his factory has a lot of CV19 he’s been protecting us, bless him!

Eviebeanz Wed 30-Dec-20 17:11:14

Very pleased to have some viewings booked in for my house over the next few days - sold at beginning of December but buyer pulled out and had worried about whether we would have other interest - hoping to move to the same area as son, daughter in law and grandchildren - we currently live close to each other but they are in the process of buying their first home and we'd planned to move together to the new area so my fingers are crossed

MawBe Wed 30-Dec-20 16:46:03

glammanana

I had a letter from United Utilities (water people) to say I had been over paying for the 3 yrs since my meter was changed and they are going to refund me just over £1k after they found the new meter was faulty.Such a nice surprise.

That’s lovely Glamma you deserve something nice. When all this is behind us I hope you can treat yourself (and maybe the family) to something you will all enjoy!

Lucca Wed 30-Dec-20 16:35:39

Sharing on what’s app my feelings of inadequacy etc (time of the year!) with my DIL, she said something so so lovely to me.

Galaxy Wed 30-Dec-20 16:31:46

I went for a lovely walk at a national trust property, it was lovely but very cold. We saw a dog sat down refusing to walk, its owner was saying I know it's cold we wont go far. It made me smile.