Gransnet forums

Chat

Living In The Past

(92 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 22-Dec-20 13:30:30

If you could choose to live in any period in history what would it be? It could be exciting to be a pioneer in the Wild West, or perhaps you’d like to stroll around in a gorgeous Regency frock.

I think I’d like to be an Edwardian, so many great discoveries and scientific advances.

arosebyanyothername Wed 23-Dec-20 10:04:53

month not moth

harrigran Wed 23-Dec-20 10:05:20

I am with you travelsafar, 1950s would be my choice too.
I think we were happier, we had no great expectations so were never disappointed.
Just saying to DH this morning that Christmas was lovely then, I don't enjoy it now.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Dec-20 10:05:38

My great-grandmother was brought up in a very wealthy, mill-owning Victorian family, till she went full Catherine Cookson and ran off to marry a miner. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall of her life, Lovelifelynn, but don’t think I’d care to swap. Or maybe just for a couple of weeks of the waited-on-hand-and-foot years. smile

Daffydilly Wed 23-Dec-20 10:07:34

I'd love to stay where I am, but with the option to visit other times periods, sort of like going on a holiday time travel style.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Dec-20 10:08:59

travelsafar
I know exactly what you mean. I have been feeling ludicrously, heartachingly nostalgic recently.
I'm of a different generation to you, but that seems irrelevant.
I was even thinking yesterday that if I won the lottery I would buy a 1970s semi and recreate my childhood home!
I'm even starting to get nostalgic about four or five years ago!
Re time travel: other than the Black Country in the 1970s (not to everyone's tastes! tchgrin)
Any period in the 18th or 19th century as a wealthy and healthy British woman.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Dec-20 10:10:15

Maggiemaybe how passionate and romantic!

Hellsbelles Wed 23-Dec-20 10:27:57

Personally I'd love a day or so experiencing them all , it would be fascinating.

Sparklefizz Wed 23-Dec-20 10:29:12

Women had such an awful time in the past that I'd rather stay where I am - anaesthetics, antibiotics, contraception, modern dentistry (which is still brutal but that's where the anaesthetics and antibiotics come in smile ) medication during childbirth, sanitary products, etc etc not to mention washing machines!

Grandmabeach Wed 23-Dec-20 10:30:58

I would miss technology and modern day conveniences but perhaps the 1950's where people respected other people, cared for their neighbours and children could safely play outside for hours without parents being concerned.

True covid has brought out the best in some people but you only have to watch the news to see how selfish some people have become.

Alioop Wed 23-Dec-20 11:09:10

Sorry I wouldn't go back very far at all, couldn't live without some of the things I have got used to having. Loved the 80s so sorry that's as far back as I could go really lol. I just loved the music and the clothes, but was in my teens and no worries. Maybe better going forward a couple of years and hope we are all Covid free.

HiPpyChick57 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:09:40

Definitely Victorian, but only if I could pop back to this time when I needed surgery or to see a dentist... or to plug my straighteners in! grin

Purplepoppies Wed 23-Dec-20 11:17:53

I would have loved to live in Hampton Court Palace. Even seeing it on TV gives me goosebumps!
Its my favourite place in the world to visit.
I grew up near there, I know it well.
Unfortunately I will never qualify to live in one of the apartments ?
But I do love my mod cons too. Heat and a decent bed. Hot water etc.
A chef and cleaner would be great though.....

polnan Wed 23-Dec-20 11:37:23

CAVEWOMAN!!!! ME TOO!! i AM SHOUTING, SO PLEASED TO FIND SOMEONE LIKE MINDED!

Actually, I love looking at history, and prehistoric (?) times,, have you read the book Sarum? It starts off, way back, I am hooked on it.

thick book! (lol) but could read and re-read the first part,, still they started.. humans that is.. building and grabbing etc.

dive into a fresh clear pool of water.... drink from a stream (actually when I was a kid, we could do that!) no comments on my age!

wonderful!

moggie57 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:39:36

medieval times .they knew how to enjoy christmas without modern technology...

hulahoop Wed 23-Dec-20 11:41:12

I fit want to go too far back late sixties early seventies would be my choice .

hulahoop Wed 23-Dec-20 11:42:21

Dont

Lilyflower Wed 23-Dec-20 11:42:33

At 64 in any other age I'd be on my last legs! As it is I feel fit and healkthy and ready for a few more years.

Having said that, I do like a Regency frock.

annifrance Wed 23-Dec-20 11:43:35

Assuming I am wealthy, then 20s and 30s in Paris and India.

Sheila11 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:45:12

I think I’ve missed my century- but I couldn’t go back in time as the racism in bygone times would really really upset me. ?

Happysexagenarian Wed 23-Dec-20 12:11:06

I love the clothes of the Edwardian era and the 1940s but not the lifestyles, so I think I'll stay where I am.

Sparklefizz Wed 23-Dec-20 12:58:25

moggie57

medieval times .they knew how to enjoy christmas without modern technology...

Yes - flogging a few starving peasants!

Sparklefizz Wed 23-Dec-20 12:59:43

"I would have loved to live in Hampton Court Palace. Even seeing it on TV gives me goosebumps!"

Yes, and your next home would have been the Tower of London!

Spangler Wed 23-Dec-20 13:06:28

Grandmabeach Wed 23-Dec-20 10:30:58

I would miss technology and modern day conveniences but perhaps the 1950's where people respected other people, cared for their neighbours and children could safely play outside for hours without parents being concerned.

The early fifties Grandmabeach? When we all called each other by a formal address just like: "Are You Being Served." I remember seeing men on the beach in deck chairs, suited and booted. Well not quite booted, the shoes and socks were off and the trousers rolled up, but the neck tie stayed perfectly in place.

lilydily9 Wed 23-Dec-20 13:06:35

The Roaring 20's for me. Always loved the Prohibition era. Love the clothes, can just picture myself as a flapper girl! And the Speakeasies, drinking gin from a teacup and dancing the Charleston. The music was amazing too.

ExaltedWombat Wed 23-Dec-20 13:37:09

Those golden days of our childhoods of course! And wouldn't we hate it once the realities sank in.