Gransnet forums

Chat

Living In The Past

(92 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 22-Dec-20 13:30:30

If you could choose to live in any period in history what would it be? It could be exciting to be a pioneer in the Wild West, or perhaps you’d like to stroll around in a gorgeous Regency frock.

I think I’d like to be an Edwardian, so many great discoveries and scientific advances.

TBsNana Thu 24-Dec-20 09:32:45

Smileless2012 - do you have a death wish ? most courtiers around then ended up beheaded! I agree though it would be great to be able to visit these eras just to get a feel for it without having to participate. Trying to decide if I would also like to look at the future - but am less sure .....

honeyrose Thu 24-Dec-20 09:35:17

I’d to go back to the 1950’s/early 1960’s when I grew up. Life was simpler, expectations weren’t so high and I was an innocent child with no worries. Maybe that’s the thing - it seemed a better era then because I had no worries! I loved the fashions then too. It is a nostalgic era for me, when I look back.

Tweedle24 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:46:49

Like many others, I prefer to stay here with mod cons and medical knowledge.

Redhead56 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:07:09

The twenties I love the style and the elegance if wealthy but if not it must have been miserable.

Redhead56 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:17:55

I meant if poor it would have been miserable.

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Dec-20 10:37:59

honeyrose I expect lots of us think back to easier times so I can see how ones own childhood would be appealing. I expect if you were the adult in the house it was just as complicated - but in different ways.

honeyrose Fri 25-Dec-20 08:33:04

NotSpaghetti, you’re probably right! I was fortunate to have a good carefree childhood, leading a sheltered life. Certainly not rich, but enough money for life’s “essentials” but maybe my parents had certain struggles that I knew nothing about.

Dartmoorgal Fri 25-Dec-20 08:49:02

Sorry to rain on a variety of parades but the average newborn girl in the Victorian era
would be unlikely to see her 43rd birthday -so we wouldn't be living at all!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 25-Dec-20 12:52:11

Late Victorian and Edwardian eras, so I could die peacefully before the outbreak of the Great War. THis would make me a contemporay of my great-grandparents, or perhaps even one of them!

The Baroque era would have suited me well, imagine living in Brandenburg while J.S. Bach was court composer to the Duke, and hearing the first performances of some of his greatest works.

rosecarmel Fri 25-Dec-20 15:12:28

I lean more towards owning old things, they've a quality that is no longer being produced- And if I could choose who I could have been in the distant past it would be Abigail Adams- Or even a prominent man who played a part in the formation of this nation, fought in the Revolutionary War, lived long and prospered-

Grandma70s Fri 25-Dec-20 15:51:45

I have no desire to go back to the past, except that I’d like it if it was considered normal for a mother to stay at home looking after her own children. I think I was one of the last to do that.

Hithere Fri 25-Dec-20 16:41:53

Being a woman, no way I would want to live in the past- right wise, medical advances, etc

M0nica Fri 25-Dec-20 18:16:44

Dartmoorgal, these average life span figures are very deceptive. Infant mortality was very high. Around 1 in 20 or more children died before they were 5 in the 19th century. Now the figure is 1 in 250.

If a child survived there 5th birthday they were likely to live into their 60s or even older, this is regardless of gender or level of wealth (or not). Certain industries did have high mortality, but overall people could expect to live to a reasonable age.

Any one who has done any family history will have noticed that many of their ancestors had reasonable lifespans, well past the 'average' figure, even if they were born and lived in poverty.

My evidence is anecdotal, but, on one side, my family are Irish immigrants to London during the Great Famine. These were as low in society as you could expect to be, best comparison would be being treated like asylum seekers today. At the bottom of every pile.

The majority lived into their 50s/60s. One great great grandfather, born c 1796 lived into his late 80s and my great grandmother, born in 1850, lived to the age of 82. All lived their lives in poverty. I also had a great grandfather who died at the age of 35.

Male or female, I would not live in any age but my own.

GrannyRose15 Tue 29-Dec-20 15:18:58

I would like to have lived in medieval times - my favourite period of history. I'd have had to have been a nun though, otherwise I'd have died having my first child - sobering thought.

lemongrove Tue 29-Dec-20 15:43:27

Oopsadaisy1

As long as I could pop in and out I’d like to go back and visit my Grandparents Grt Grandparents and go way back to Grandparents x? To see how they lived and where I came from.
Of course I’d need clothes from those times and old money and i would like to take some gifts and stuff to make their lives easier.
Then it would all get complicated and I might change time and disappear altogether !

You really have a plan worked out?

I would quite like to visit ( for a day) many periods in history, but particularly the 1400’s. I would love to see the countryside in that era, the vast forests and tiny villages.

Although it would be lovely to see parents and grandparents too as Oops says, and yes, you would have to be very careful not to write yourself out of history ( no warning your Mother not to marry your Father!)

Hithere Tue 29-Dec-20 17:11:30

It reminds me of a tv series in Netflix, " the ministry of time", where you could access different time periods using doors in a corridor