Gransnet forums

Chat

House buyer drops out - this is the fifth time!

(35 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 22-Dec-20 22:33:33

Well - I have received an early Christmas present - my buyer has dropped out. They were here again on Saturday talking about which curtains they wanted etc. ; and I have clocked up more solicitor bills again. It is just adding up as buyers drop out.

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-20 14:01:13

Thank you all - I am not giving up. All I can do is hope.

Tho I must admit that having to go through all he showing prospective buyers round lark all over again fills me with gloom.

Auntieflo Thu 24-Dec-20 13:57:57

Luckygirl, I have come late to this thread, but am so sorry that you are having such a bad time of it lately.
I know my sympathy doesn't help much, but if positive thoughts are all collected together, fingers crossed, something good will happen for you.
Don't give up, you have come so far this year. flowers

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-20 13:41:39

Very good idea about mobility scooter! I will bear it in mind. But I might be in danger from tractors!

My ex-buyer has just ring me to apologise! Unbelievable! This is the second time they have let me down - she is blaming her OH as last time. They were desperate to have my bungalow and said that under no circumstances would they let me down again - but here we are again.

I was polite, but did not go out of my way to make it easy for her - I feel a bit bad about that; but really, what did she expect?

I had their sob story about having an autistic son in a home - what does that have to do with anything? I am sorry that they have this problem, but, to be frank, I have one or two of my own|!

LauraNorder Thu 24-Dec-20 12:52:33

Luckgirl my heart goes out to you. After all you’ve been through what a horrid thing to happen.
I’m sure your lovely girls will help lift your spirits and we’ll all send positive vibes for a good 2021 for you.
I’ve just had a thought, if the houses further down the village are cheaper you could invest in a good mobility scooter with bells and whistles if your mobility deteriorates. Think pink and sparkly or purple and stylish, whatever your taste.

Charleygirl5 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:38:06

Luckygirl I am inclined to agree with Jane- you are not getting any younger and if mobility is a problem now think 3 years down the line. You may have extra money but you will be spending it on cabs.

I personally would prefer to be closer to shops.

Tangerine Thu 24-Dec-20 11:19:41

I am sorry for you. Moving is stressful at any time and very hard indeed in 2020.

If your buyers' purchasers dropped out, perhaps they were not in a position to proceed. If I moved, I think I would need to sell my house in conjunction with the purchase as I would not have sufficient capital to buy somewhere without selling first.

Shandy57 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:19:06

That's very positive Luckygirl, having some cash in the bank is good, I hope you like them. All fingers crossed for a proceedable buyer for you in the New Year.

I understand your anger at your buyers. I had a 'cash' buyer last September and sold everything I couldn't take, very cheap including my beautiful sofa - he withdrew by email, turned out his ex wife in Sweden had the cash!

Wishing you a peaceful Christmas with your family, and a busy New Year of viewings.

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:15:42

Hmmmm. You're not going to become more mobile as time goes on. Why not speak to your financial adviser or get a second opinion on a bridging loan. It seems such a shame to lose this ideal house.
Can family help you out at all?

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-20 10:31:26

Had a long talk with the builder who is/was selling me the house I want. He is going to put it back on the market after Christmas, so I have as good as lost it now, after all these months of planning. They are very popular - it will be gone before you can blink.

But he is building some more houses lower down the village, and hopefully sometime next week he will show me one of the semis there. He is willing to put my name on one of those if I like it. They are lovely with splendid views; but they are further down the village and walking up to the common to see my friends will be harder for me, as my mobility is not good.

However one good thing about them is that they are a good deal cheaper and it would leave me less strapped for cash.

I have been pretty philosophical about it till this morning and now I just feel cross with my buyers, who were mad about my bungalow - not mad enough to put their property back on the market when their sale fell through it would seem.

What a dreadful business it all is - who to trust?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:24:57

Oh Lucky I'm so sorry to hear that. House selling is so fraught with difficulty at the best of times, without Covid and a strange Christmas to add to the mix. It just about puts the lid on it, doesn't it? I've moved around five times and it's always a worry - many of us could write a book about our experiences, I'm sure. flowers for you. Remember, chin up lass, it can only get better.

GillT57 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:19:20

So sorry to hear your news, we have all been there and it is so frustrating and disappointing. I send all my sympathy. I suspect the problems may get worse, sadly, as mortgage lenders are getting nervous about valuations. It is small consolation, but the couple who wanted your house and had gone as far as discussing curtains, must also be gutted. Maybe they will get another buyer and come back?

midgey Wed 23-Dec-20 11:10:13

Oh Luckygirl I am sorry. 2021 has got to be an improvement!

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:02:46

flowers!!!

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:01:58

I am so sorry Luckygirl its the most horrible frustrating process ever. We luckily have just got there after 15months and three buyers. I do hope you get some better luck very soon. {flowers]

Luckygirl Wed 23-Dec-20 10:43:53

Thank you for all the suggestions - I will mull them over.

I have considered a bridging loan, but financial advisor said it would be unwise in my circumstances.

My bungalow is very desirable and there has been a lot of interest. It is just that lower down the chain people drop out, or mortgage companies withdraw offers etc. .....all out of my control completely.

Grandmabatty Wed 23-Dec-20 10:28:09

It happened to me three times so I sympathise greatly. I took the house off the market for a while and tried again successfully. I think you have been very unlucky as it sounds like you have a good property to sell.

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:26:39

Luckygirl have you considered auctioning it? I am a fan of "Homes under the Hammer" and although most have seen better days there should not be a problem provided you put a decent reserve on it. You must have somewhere to live and more importantly store your furniture because you have to be out within 28 days. Maybe something to consider?

Ellianne Wed 23-Dec-20 10:11:03

You obviously have a desirable house to sell if you have had 5 potential buyers Luckygirl. Can you have a long and constructive chat with the estate agent about the profile of the desirable type of purchaser?

Jane10 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:05:02

Oh Luckygirl how desperately annoying and upsetting for you. I'm so sorry to hear this. Surely the market will pick up soon. Could someone or some organisation offer a bridging loan at all?

Luckygirl Wed 23-Dec-20 10:00:57

Thank you for kind words - and especially for rude words!

When I messaged my DDs about it yesterday, one of them came back with a torrent of unrepeatable abuse towards the buyer who let me down. I did not know my ladylike DD even knew such language! But she said everything that I was far too polite to say!

Sparklefizz Wed 23-Dec-20 09:33:42

So sorry to hear this luckygirl. Moving house is terribly stressful at the best of times and now we have Covid and you have had a nightmare year. flowers

Smileless2012 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:24:48

I am sorry Luckygirl what a nightmare this year has been for youflowers.

kittylester Wed 23-Dec-20 09:19:38

Oh rude words, lucky!! I'm so sorry!!

Taking on board paddy's point. Could you rent your house and rent at the other end?

Parsley3 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:18:30

I am sorry to hear this luckygirl. It will be of no comfort to you but my family has had experience of this sort of thing as well. Mortgage lenders are being hyper cautious just now too. However, five times is hard to take. No wonder you are scunnered.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 23-Dec-20 09:07:47

I'm sorry this has happened. This buying and selling business is such a lottery.