Gransnet forums

Chat

No one obeyed the rules!

(84 Posts)
4xGranny Sat 26-Dec-20 22:17:22

I live in a small cul de sac with 14 houses at my end. I counted four households that actually stayed in, without visitors, including us. Three young couples disappeared on Christmas Eve and have not yet returned. The single man opposite has been in and out numerous times with several people popping in for an hour or two. The old lady next door went to her DD’s who has three teenage children. I won’t bore you with the rest. Now I know it’s supposedly nothing to do with me but they are probably spreading the virus and causing more people to be ill. I cannot see how the infection rate will ever be reduced and we will escape from Tier 3.

Shazmo24 Sun 27-Dec-20 13:32:33

My next door neighbour has had het son & partner staying since Christmas Day. We are in Tier 3 and her son from Wales....wasn't bothered for one night but 2????

moggie57 Sun 27-Dec-20 13:33:45

youy lucky we in tier 4 me /myself and i .boring /boring/ boring .

Mollygo Sun 27-Dec-20 13:38:17

We’re a bit like this since lockdown started.

M0nica Sun 27-Dec-20 13:45:02

Shazmo stay one night, you can pick up COVID, after that what does it matter how long they stay?

DD, my bubble is here for a fortnight, all strictly legal and within the rules.

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 13:59:29

What about the people who had maybe self isolated from 10th December, "sacrificed their freedom", had their bags packed ready to go away from 23rd - 27thDecember in their own car, no risk to anyone. I also might well have felt cheated not to have at least visited my folks on Christmas Day/Boxing Day, assuming those folks hadn't been mixing too.

MrsEggy Sun 27-Dec-20 13:59:52

I wonder how many of the younger generation actually listen to The News, as most of us oldies do - are they aware each time the rules change?

biba70 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:06:06

For every single person that did not follow the rules- those of us who did will pay the price with them.

Even our grandchildren, 14 and 12- are sick to the back teeth with it- hearing their friends and families all breaking the rules and being all over the place- whilst their parents and grand-parents follow the rules to protect everyone. Little one cried about it on Zoom- saying she is worried they won't be able to see us again for a long time- because of all those dreadful, selfish, nasty people who just could not just say NO and stay put this time.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:07:48

JenniferEccles

How many threads like this have there been over the past year with posters coming on here complaining bitterly about neighbours comings and goings without being completely aware of individual circumstances?

We have all made different plans for this Christmas.

Some people have decided to continue to isolate themselves, whilst others, like us, maybe for a variety of reasons and family circumstances, planned to spend at least part of the holiday with their loved ones.

Both decisions should be respected.

Whist I do respect everyone's right to be able to make such a decision, it does not mean I agree with them.

We were asked not to stay overnight but as has been all year, some think they can be the exception.

I really can't see how there can be any reason for flouting the rule of 'no overnight stay' except for the one instance I heard about on the radio last week. A daughter, whose mother was terminally ill (perhaps a few weeks) wanted to visit and needed to stay the night because of the travelling distance. She wasn't the carer but the advice given was to visit.

Oh! It may cause some concern doing this, but watching from the window is life line for some living by themselves and should not be criticised for doing so.

I fear we may be looking at a huge increase in cases in a week/10 days time.

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:08:47

My DD, in her thirties, is self isolating after an alert on the NHS app - from the 20 Dec. until the 30 Dec.
No discussion by her or us, she stayed /will stay with her housemates for the whole 10 days.
Despite it being Christmas we all felt it was unequivocally the right thing.

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 14:14:43

That's right Puzzler.
The folks I was speaking about were self isolating even though they had had no alerts at all.

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:20:36

No many people did it to be sure as they could be that they were Covid free before visiting any relatives for Christmas Ellianne .
It wasn’t in the plans for her Christmas to be that way, but when it happened “Plan B” had to become “Plan A” .

jacq10 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:22:14

This is what I see when sitting on the sofa. No houses in front of me just the entrance to a cul-de-sac but I, like the OP and others, do see what is going on depending what I am doing. Not particulary interested in what anyone else is doing but it is a friendly neighbourhood and I think we are all aware of each other. My late DH's chair was facing the window directly and he certainly could see what was going on and it helped pass his day when he was poorly and he was very happy to get a wave from passer-bys!!

GeorgyGirl Sun 27-Dec-20 14:24:41

Everyone on our road stayed home, there was no traffic, no cars moving at all and very few out walking, it seemed quite eerie when you looked out, we were all in our own homes.

lemongrove Sun 27-Dec-20 14:25:50

FannyCornforth

Sparklefizz I really feel for your daughter. Teachers are in a terrible situation.

Can someone please explain the Dr Seuss reference? Thank you.

Not Freud or Jung??
Unless Bluebelle really did mean Dr Suess.....

kircubbin2000 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:39:23

There are some malicious snoopers about. A 75 year old neighbour who has 4 cars in her drive had a visit from the police last night.
She lives with her daughter and gc s who have not even been to school as she is vulnerable. They get groceries delivered and husband works from home. She was very upset but has an idea who it might have been .

M0nica Sun 27-Dec-20 15:16:36

They have always existed. Years ago a friend had a builder in to repair a chimney. The next thing she knoew she had the Plaiing Authority round, her neighbour had told them she was building an extension without planning or building reg approval. She knew precisely who had reported her.

Teacheranne Sun 27-Dec-20 15:33:15

I had a visit from the police a few weeks ago to ask me about one of my neighbours. They wanted to check if the information they had been given anonymously was true. It had been claimed that the couple living opposite me had been having numerous visits several times a day despite us being in tier three.

Yes indeed they have, the lady is disabled following a car crash and needs two carers going in four times a day to hoist her out of and into bed, bathe her, change her incontinence pads, get her dressed etc etc. I’m sure she would prefer her active life back rather than rely on carers to meet her needs.

I was very cross at the thought of someone reporting my neighbours, it would not have been anyone living in our road as we are all aware of what has happened. Luckily I was able to convince the police not to call at the house, the elderly couple would have been so upset.

Franbern Sun 27-Dec-20 19:08:03

The original poster mentioned the 'old lady next door' who went to her daughters. Probably that is her bubble family and she is definitely permitted to visit them and they her.

Mental health is as important as physical health.

I went to my bubble family on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, They are just about five or so minutes away from me and also include three teenage children (one a uni student) and a 10-year old. My daughter teaches at a local secondary school. They were all supposed to come to me for Boxing Day (as usual), but we felt that, although within the rules, it would not be fair on other people in my block of flats, so I went to them again
My student g.son had been tested before leaving his Uni halls, The other children and my daughter had been out of their schools for nearly ten days by christmas. My son in law is extremely vulnerable.

So, if the poster lived in my block of flats they would have seen me going out each morning and returning each evening for those three days .

EllanVannin Sun 27-Dec-20 19:13:01

I think it's pretty evident by the number of deaths in 24hrs that nobody obeyed the rules. Is it worth it ?

Maggiemaybe Sun 27-Dec-20 19:28:19

4xGranny

Maggiemaybe
I don’t know where you read that but Boris definitely said no overnight stays when he retracted the 5 day Christmas bubble.

My quote is directly from the gov.uk website, 4xGranny, the only source I’d trust. What’s yours?

www.gov.uk/government/publications/rules-on-travel-over-the-christmas-period/rules-on-travel-over-the-christmas-period

Oldbat1 Sun 27-Dec-20 19:48:56

My street seem to have observed the tier 3 advice. We live near the beach and there have been family socially distanced picnics going on and distanced walks. Weve definitely kept to the rules.

cornishpatsy Sun 27-Dec-20 19:49:30

You cannot change other peoples behaviour, getting angry about it is only going to affect you.

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 19:59:08

cornishpatsy

You cannot change other peoples behaviour, getting angry about it is only going to affect you.

Well said cornishpasty. All this jumping up and down, holding heads in despair, sighing, bleating etc wont make the slightest difference to others. People will not be driven.

Hetty58 Sun 27-Dec-20 20:01:14

What we need now is total lockdown as the virus is out of control. 4xGranny has every right to be worried.

It's quite clear that we just can't rely on others to be sensible. They are playing Russian Roulette with the lives of our loved ones!

JenniferEccles Sun 27-Dec-20 22:40:52

During the first lockdown I was doing my elderly neighbour’s shopping with mine but when I returned he would sometimes tell me he had forgotten one or two things from his list.
Feeling sorry for him I popped out again to a local shop rather than back to the supermarket a few miles away.

This was when we were only supposed to go out once a day and after reading all the threads like this one I wonder if my comings and goings had been noted by any of my neighbours.

This was back in the days when the police used drones to spy on hapless folk walking their dogs on deserted moors.
Thank goodness that was nipped in the bud.