Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(78 Posts)
12Michael Sun 27-Dec-20 06:12:21

Good Morning Everyone,
Its wet and windy here in Brackley this morning , no doubt with a Storm coming in.
Usual quiet day for me may pop out later but will see, very limited as to apart from a walk and maybe a small shop nothing is happening.
Take care,
Mick

Daddima Sun 27-Dec-20 19:04:18

Good day, all. Well, Shandy and Ashcombe I have ordered a 3 litre airfryer, which should be big enough for just me. I’ve spent the day reading and watching some of the West Wing, so not productive at all. Well, it’s a day of rest, isn’t it? I’m just going to defrost some fruit and top it with my ‘shortbread gone wrong’, as it’s fallen into a million pieces, so will now be crumble topping, and should taste fine with the last of the cream. Healthy eating starts tomorrow.

NanKate Sun 27-Dec-20 15:30:17

Thanks Lisa I was looking for a novella ?she just snuck in there under the wire. ?

Lisagran Sun 27-Dec-20 14:51:07

Marydoll posted at 9.23 NanKate

NanKate Sun 27-Dec-20 14:46:48

Where’s Marydoll I’m concerned ?

Urmstongran Sun 27-Dec-20 13:16:51

Rocky & Bullwinkle!
I was Rocky in a black hat. Not a good look.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Dec-20 13:14:15

I have decided to declutter. One item every day = 30 a month. To the charity shop or to throw out. I’m terrible for hanging onto things ‘just in case’.

Just in case what? I lose 2sts.? I wish. Decide that I will re-read all these books (whilst buying new ones?). Not likely.

I find it hard but I’m sure I can find one item every day. Even if it’s only a pencil.
?

I’ve made a start. A black knitted hat with ear muffs that made me look like a cartoon character! Only worn once, so charity shop it is.

CherryCezzy Sun 27-Dec-20 11:58:46

Good morning (just) everyone from the Gower. What a storm last night! The bangs and clatters ?

? Ashcombe's a poet, don't ya know it, great verse!
I'm very fond of poetry and used to write a lot, had some published in my younger days but haven't written for ages. You've inspired me ... so maybe I will.

Hope your DH's bruising starts to fade Susan after a gentle day today ?

My WP is inspecting the damage done by the storm, fence, and no doubt repairing it and I am making a pie today with some of the profusion of leftovers. We'll have it later after watching the footie.

May you all have moments of loveliness along the way today, stay cosy and safe ❤️

Mapleleaf Sun 27-Dec-20 11:31:49

Good morning,

It’s a lovely bright morning after last nights strong winds and heavy rain. I must say I’m rather surprised to see the blue sky - I thought we were going to be in for another dismal day.

I love the poem Ashcombe. You are very talented.

I think it will be another quiet day, apart from doing a few household jobs. Really, though, there’s nothing else to do, other than perhaps go for a walk again likeI did yesterday, as nowhere is able to open. Oh well, spring is on its way and already there are green shoots poking up through the soil, so that is certainly something to look forward to.

Although it got very windy last night, everything still seems to be intact outside - it’s always a concern that something will be damaged, isn’t it?

I hope you all have the best day you can. Take care, be safe. ?

HAZBEEN Sun 27-Dec-20 11:24:28

Good morning everyone. The sun is now shining in this part of Surrey! The cat has just lain down on the windowsill purring loudly as he warms his old bones! Actually more likely watching the birds on the bird table just outside, he is determined the robin cannot have his lunch!
Stay sfe all, eat all those leftovers and enjoy your day.

LauraNorder Sun 27-Dec-20 11:23:46

Good morning Mick and all. Well done everyone, we made it through one way or another and now it’s done, just the vaccine roll out now and 363 days to prepare for a better more normal one next year. Now I promise not to mention it again.
Great poem Ash.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 27-Dec-20 11:22:25

Sorry Ashcombe. forgot to say thank you for the very appropriate poem - very clever!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 27-Dec-20 11:15:08

Good morning all from bright Harrogate (the calm after the storm). We have had water through the kitchen window - I problem that started 2 days after we moved here!!! We have had several attempts of 'professionals' fixing it. The kitchen needs replastering but not worth it until the leaks stop.
Have nothing particularly planned for today except making lunch, taking the dog out and doing a Roast Beef with Red wine, Yum!!
I have started cleaning, not because of New Year, but the house needed it.

Hope everyone has a calm and safe day.

Hymnbook Sun 27-Dec-20 11:08:15

Morning just listened to the Archers omnibus. It's a sunny day here in Sherwood after the wind and rain of last night. I would love to go for a walk but l think I've got sciatica in my hip. It came on suddenly on Christmas day.. l don't whether to sit stand lay down. The pain just shot through me like a knife as l went to the loo. Hope everyone else is enjoying their day.

Taichinan Sun 27-Dec-20 10:58:21

Good Morning Mick and all. It`s a calm and pleasant day on the Angus coast. Bella missed us on its journey south yesterday, and it seems that the Christmas snow has cleared from the hills too. Yesterday was a very quiet day for me - just dozed on and off. I then went to bed and slept from 12.30 through to 9.30am - after a couple of weeks with only 4 or 5 hours` sleep a night that was a greatly needed rest! A little boring in the telling though! Now to move forward in a lockdown world again - accompanied by an inordinate amount of chocolates and gin in many varieties! Enjoy your day everybody, and Marydoll make sure you do have a quiet day and rest.

hulahoop Sun 27-Dec-20 10:43:22

Good morning from Yorkshire it's a very bright day not been out yet but looks cold .hope you all have a good day .

Sparklefizz Sun 27-Dec-20 10:30:36

Good morning from a sunny South Gloucestershire to Mick, NanKate and everyone.

The weather's lovely here now but it was wild and wet in the night.

Enjoyed the adapted poem Ashcombe. What a fabulous cake Urmstongran.

Hope everyone is as well as possible and recovering from the strange Xmas we've had. Wonderful to see how creative we have all become at celebrating. Best wishes to anyone who is ill.

Stay safe and well (and dry!)

EllanVannin Sun 27-Dec-20 10:22:48

Good Morning All x.
A lovely sunny and bright day today after it rained and blew a gale yesterday.
All the merriment was at D's on Christmas Day as I'd sat waiting to see Ruby-Lou but her carers has stipulated " no visiting ". D had made a flying visit present exchanging in between her preparing dinner for them all, which I understood but I was a tad disappointed to say the least.

Apparently a couple of the staff had tested positive for the virus not so long ago so Roobs couldn't see either her other G/parents ( of late dad ) or myself. Maybe next week when she's here again for New Year. I tried not to show too much disappointment at the same time understanding the situation.

Yesterday I did myself another Christmas dinner and cut the turkey to the bone of meat to freeze, plus the legs to make soups later in the future. I've frozen quite a bit of stuff for later dates instead of winging it in the bin---as I usually do ( shame )

I believe the children had been excited and had received some lovely presents. I was disappointed at not having received a present which I'd ordered from Ebay, in fact I was annoyed that given " same day delivery " slogan, it didn't arrive at all ! Supposedly delivered last week, but no tracking information so I start the New Year with a resolution request, unless it magically appears. Blimey, it's not coming from Timbuktu !

A ham salad for a change today so the only cooking is mashed potatoes for the potato salad, then salad cream to make---which needs no cooking.

D in Oz sounded downhearted with their rules in the area where they are, Northern Beaches, as all arrangements had been dashed. It really has been sad for everyone.

Must get washed and dressed now and try and tidy up to get some semblance of order in the place. I'm getting lost with the days now and didn't know what day it was when I woke up----nearly frightened myself to death thinking I was going daft grin

Hoping everyone's well and going easy on all the rich food. Thoughts to anyone feeling a bit off colour and hoping Gilly is alright xx
Take care everyone and stay safe.

Gelisajams Sun 27-Dec-20 10:20:36

Good morning from a calmer Morecambe Bay. Love the poem Ashcombe.
Had a very leisurely start to the day although I have done one of my exercise routines. I then started reading the news before GN. DH is asking me where I want to walk. I’m not sure I do! No novella this morning Marydoll hope you are ok.?
Take care, stay safe everyone ?

NannyJan53 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:13:11

Morning NanKate that sounds like the perfect way to spend a day whilst the house is cleaned!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:12:35

Good morning Mick and all

I was awake most of the night, the wind was howling the rain was torrential, obviously DH slept through it tchconfused

I came down with the nearly one year old to give DD a lay-in, they are going home today(they are in a support bubble with us, long story for another time)

Fabulous cake Urmstongran I have a weakness for pink champagne ? Brilliant adaptation of The Night Before Christmas Ashcombe it’s a regular in our house ???

Keep safe, well and dry folks ??

Taichinan Sun 27-Dec-20 10:10:01

Ash* what a tremendous poem! What a talented lady you are!

Auntieflo Sun 27-Dec-20 10:05:33

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all.
We had a gale yesterday, and DH heard what he thought was someone at the front door. Then realised it was the wreath clattering around.
We ate left overs, bubble and squeak and cold turkey, for supper, just the job, and easy as I was still not 100%.

Think I will finish my book later, after the on line service, and put away most of the chocs and nibbles, as they are too tempting, when just lying around.
Love the poem Ashcombe
Keep up the improvement Harrigran, and wishing all who are poorly a get well message. Also hi to*Gillybob*.
Last night we also watched 'Hidden Figures', and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then the second part of Victoria Wood, but I do wish they wouldn't have people analysing all the sketches!
Sun is now coming out, so maybe a short walk late on.
Have a good day one and all.

MawBe Sun 27-Dec-20 10:01:54

Good morning (again) I admit I peeped in to read Ashcombe’s brilliant pome but my eyes didn’t really want to stay open so I went back to sleep.
Last nights hooley has blown the rain away and it looks a great (if cold and windy) day.
I had a wonderful Heathcliff moment last night taking Hattie for her bedtime toddle. There’s a farmhouse behind our garden with a green in front of it and a little copse of trees beyond that. Our regular route takes us along the path between the house and the green and I just stood there and listened to the wind roaring through the trees - it was amazing!
A mug of detox tea now is my gesture to getting back to normal food - get thee behind me Pringles!
Wishing you all a pleasant day and safe journeys if returning home.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 27-Dec-20 09:56:38

Morning all from South Notts where the sun is shining after a wet and stormy night. Touch wood, I can't see any damage out there - yet.
I expect to go to the supermarket this morning and hope that things are reasonably back to normal, well, what counts for normal at the moment.
Hope today is good for everyone, especially those with illness or worries.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Dec-20 09:53:24

Very good idea NanKate & well deserved! Our apartment is so small I could let a cleaner in, go for a walk around the block with a takeaway coffee and come back up ...
?