Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Sun 27-Dec-20 06:12:21

Good Morning Everyone,
Its wet and windy here in Brackley this morning , no doubt with a Storm coming in.
Usual quiet day for me may pop out later but will see, very limited as to apart from a walk and maybe a small shop nothing is happening.
Take care,
Mick

Pantglas2 Sun 27-Dec-20 06:20:35

Morning Mick and all to come from a dry, I think, north Wales where I’m about to enjoy the chamberpot ☕️

Had a lovely sleep last night after a quiet day back home. Christmas at DDs was wonderful and we got to stay in their motorhome, where the bed was comfy but there’s nothing like your own bed ? is there?

Hope your DH is better after his fall Susan56- it’s a week since I had mine and only my kneecaps are showing bruises now - that Elemis cream has worked wonders!

Did I miss Gillybob? I skimmed the last few days posts and hope I haven’t missed any birthdays/ anniversaries, belated congratulations if any due ?

Hope you’re all having a peaceful Sunday with no upsets today x

Bellasnana Sun 27-Dec-20 06:25:01

Good morning Mick and all who follow. It is chilly and damp so far this morning here in Malta.

Not much going on today, a quick walk to the corner shop for milk will be the excitement for the day!

I’m hoping for a FaceTime from my girls in the US as they are all together for a few days which doesn’t happen often as they live far apart.

Wishing you all as good a day as possible, especially those who are struggling.☀️

Nortsat Sun 27-Dec-20 06:26:42

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where it is still dark.

I was a bit confused this morning Mick as there appear to be two Good Morning threads. However, I soon found my way here. ?

We had a nice easy day yesterday and ate Christmas leftovers which were lovely. My partner always enjoys his meal on Boxing Day almost more than Christmas Day.
There is still plenty of cold turkey to make soup and several suppers.

I will start my Christmas reading today.

Hoping Maryd and Cherry had a good night. Hope Iris and Rubylou had fun.
Good thoughts to all who are struggling or have poorly loved ones. Have a nice day, all. ?

grandMattie Sun 27-Dec-20 06:41:00

Good morning from a rain lashed stormy E Kent. The wind and rain kept me awake.
I don’t like storms . It reminds me of the terrible cyclone that took outer roof off when I was 12 and living in Mauritius. The winds topped 125 mph that time. Scary stuff.
We had a very quiet day yesterday, ditto today - not even going out for a walk in this weather. No cooking!
Everyone, please have a good day, be kind to yourselves, listen to your bodies. Have the easiest time you can, stay safe. X

grandMattie Sun 27-Dec-20 06:41:25

Outer = our ?

Ashcombe Sun 27-Dec-20 06:45:27

'Twas the night after Christmas when, all round the house,
The wind was a-howling whilst the rain gave a douse.
The trees swayed tremendously, threatening to fall
I wondered what would become of us all!
The folk of Torbay, nestled snug in their beds
Pulled their bed covers tightly, up over their heads;
When, out in the park, there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Then, what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But some revellers drinking their bottles of beer!
With substantial meals, the pubs offer drinks
But these chaps need more than two bevvies, methinks!
From houses and care homes, the people were staring,
Not happy because the boozers were swearing,
As one took a drink from the hand of another
Whilst drunkenly slurring, “Oi luvs ya, bruvver!”
Amidst all the rumpus, a blue light was flashing
As on to the scene a ‘jam sandwich’ came flashing.
From which there appeared two smart boys in blue,
As young as if straight from school, I tell you.
They were given a welcome as one would to a friend
As they encouraged the chaps their antics to end.
Patiently for their departure we waited,
Whilst the noise of the storm had still not abated.
Now fully awake, I knew what to do:
I’d head for the kitchen to make a good brew.
There’s nothing like having a hot mug of tea
Whilst opening up Gransnet, online friends to see!
No matter the hour, there is someone on there,
To whom one can write a few words to share.
I hope you’ve survived my attempt at some verse
And that today's weather will not become worse.

With apologies to Clement Clarke Moore

Nortsat Sun 27-Dec-20 06:49:23

Ashcombe very good.
Your brain is firing on all cylinders at 6.45am ⭐️⭐️

grandMattie Sun 27-Dec-20 06:51:00

Gosh, Ash, I do admire people who can versify! Well done, and so early too!

MawBe Sun 27-Dec-20 07:06:09

Blimey Ashcombe a poet and at this hour too! ??

Ashcombe Sun 27-Dec-20 07:12:36

Thank you, NortSat, grandMattie and Mawbe for your kind comments.

As I’ve said before, I lack the more useful skills of baking, knitting, gardening, decorating, etc which many members on here possess, but I enjoy being creative.

Beechnut Sun 27-Dec-20 07:19:49

I’ll go back in a minute to read your rhyme Ash
Good Morning from Severnside where the wind has dropped and it’s wet and dark.

I had an uneventful journey back home yesterday flood wise I’m glad to say. On arr at my daughters on Christmas Day I got out my iPad and she said “what are you doing mum, checking in on gransnet?” I replied that I was checking the time for high tide on Boxing Day. As luck would be low tide was around lunchtime so that’s when I travelled but there was still plenty of water in the river.

I fell asleep on my sofa last night waking at 2:30am and saw that the tarpaulin was flapping about on my garage so went out to do something. It looked a hopeless case and I tripped over a building block so I thought it best to leave and came back indoors.

Today I’ll potter and put away my stuff, watch tele and catch up on here.

I hope you all have a good day, take care and stay safe whatever you do ☔️

Dwmxwg Sun 27-Dec-20 07:24:13

Love the poem Ashcombe. The storm seems to have abated here in north Surrey although it is still raining. We shall save our walk for this afternoon when forecast looks more promising.
Yesterday entertained DS, partner and DGDs on the drive, it was certainly different but we managed an hour in the cold with some mulled wine and lots of presents opened by the 2 year old
In the evening did a zoom secret Santa present opening with family.
Another chilled day planned today, will checkout leftover turkey ideas
Wishing all a peaceful Sunday

brook2704 Sun 27-Dec-20 07:32:07

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a cold start to the day with a light covering of snow. Luckily up here we’ve missed the worst part of the storm but hope everyone elsewhere is ok with not much storm damage
Wonderful verse Ashcombe well done !
Nothing planned for today, maybe a walk this morning if we wrap up warm and then find a film to watch this afternoon.
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

Ashcombe Sun 27-Dec-20 07:33:23

Dwmxwg: thank you!
Love the mini tree and the mini chair! Improvisation is key to happiness this Christmas. ??

Sar53 Sun 27-Dec-20 07:38:46

Good morning everyone from Essex by the sea where the wind has been howling around all night. It appears to have abated now but we are due lots of rain. I'm not sure I will be going anywhere today.
Love the poem Ashcombe, what a clever lady you are, so early in the morning too xx
I had a chat with my eldest brother yesterday, he is back in shielding mode as he has severe COPD.
We watched a great film yesterday evening 'Hidden Figures', well worth a watch.
Have the best Sunday you can and stay safe everyone ?xx

NanKate Sun 27-Dec-20 07:45:04

Morning Mick and All.

It’s a bit soggy here in South Bucks but should be drying up in time for us to go for our usual Sunday walk around NT Cliveden Gardens. I feel safe there as the grounds are vast so social distancing is a doddle.

Love your poem Ashcombe. Like you I am not into the domestic stuff but enjoy reading/writing/theatre. I was born to have servants ?

dragonfly46 Sun 27-Dec-20 07:55:15

Good morning from damp dark Leicestershire.

Brilliant poem Ashcombe.

Nothing planned today so back to serious shielding although that is what we have done all over Christmas!

Ashcombe Sun 27-Dec-20 07:56:48

Thank you, brook2704, Sar53, dragonfly46 and
NanKate: I must remember that one! “...born to have servants”!
It made me chuckle! ?

cornergran Sun 27-Dec-20 07:57:40

Morning Mick, morning All. Fairly calm in our corner of Somerset after a wild few hours. Can’t see enough yet to check for casualties, could hear something bouncing about outside, Need some activity today and feel a general tidy up coming on, the kitchen needs a clean and there’s laundry to do. Not often I get these impulses. grin.

Your rhyme made me chuckle ashcombe, you ok after your night time adventure beechnut? Agree grandmattie, storms are unsettling.

Take care everyone, have the best day you can, hope there’s a smile for us all.

Scentia Sun 27-Dec-20 08:01:04

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and wet and windy.
Wow, it was blowing a houlie last night. Everything is still intact in my garden.

Off to take DGS for our constitutional on the trails this morning. Not a lot else planned.
I will read all the posts when I get home later with my cup of hot chocolate!
Take care everyone and stay safe.

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Dec-20 08:01:30

Good morning everyone- still blowing a gale here in East Northants, but at least the rain has stopped.

A quiet day yesterday, eating leftovers and nibbles most of the day. A. wonderful win for our rugby team, the Saints, put a big smile on our faces. Hopefully back to winning ways now.

Home this afternoon, picking the cats up on the way. The cattery owner texted me yesterday to say she had more days available if I wanted, but I declined - DD and her DH will need some time to recover on their own, and I am sure will have had enough of me!

What a great poem Ashcombe!

Hoping all have a good day.

Alygran Sun 27-Dec-20 08:08:05

Good morning from the High Peak. I’m still tucked up in bed at DD2’s.
We spent yesterday just ‘chilling out’. It’s nice to have someone to do that with. Much the same today but with a walk with DD1 if we get a break in the weather. Chinese take away tonight. Looking forward to that as I haven’t had one for ages, I’m much too far from one at home.
Love the poem Ash. ??
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

Gagagran Sun 27-Dec-20 08:18:13

Morning everyone from the south coast!

A disturbed night with Bella howling at the window and sending torrents of furious rain at us. She seems to have moved on thankfully so I have got laundry on the go, sorted out my Christmas flowers ( sadly the roses died but the lilies are going strong) and dried up festive holly sprigs. I have also confined the chocs to the back of the fridge. Far too tempting when left out next to the fruit bowl!

Loved your poem Ashcombe. I share your interest in
"versifying" and often have a rhyme or couplet in my head.
One of my favourite Christmas gifts was Susie Dent's book "Word Perfect". Recommend it to all who love words.

I have just done the Vaccine Calculator in the Sunday Times and DH and I seem to be in line for the vaccine by the end of January. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy the eating up everyone!

baubles Sun 27-Dec-20 08:18:14

Good morning Mick, I’d forgotten today is Sunday! Morning all from snowy S Lanarkshire, we’ve a fair covering of the white stuff.

How clever you are Ashcome, I cannot rhyme for toffee. I love the sweet little chair dwm.

We only picked at cheese and biscuits yesterday but himself is feeling a little better this morning so I will bung the pair of pheasants from M&S in the oven later and we can sit down to a proper meal.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.