Gransnet forums

Chat

A nice romantic thread

(90 Posts)
LauraNorder Wed 30-Dec-20 16:45:58

What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done.
I used to put little love notes between the sandwiches in Orlin’s packed lunch.

Grandma11 Wed 30-Dec-20 20:24:36

My DH proposed to me just 6weeks after we met, but due to the long hours he worked, he was never available during office hours to actually book our Registry office wedding. One day just after he surprised me me with an Engagement ring on Christmas Eve, l rang to make an appointment at the local Office and managed to book the Wedding myself. When the official Notification dropped through my Door, l took the spare key to his works Van that l kept for emergencies, crept into it on the car park of the place he was Working at, and left the official looking Brown envelope with a box containing enough Cream cakes for him and the rest of his work mates to share, and wrote Congratulations across his windscreen with a red lipstick! His workmates, one of which was my Cousin, said he didn’t know whether to Laugh or Cry, so ended up doing both!
34 years and two daughters later, and we are still together and Happy, although my Parents were shocked at the time and said that it would never last!

MissAdventure Wed 30-Dec-20 22:16:16

I travelled over 400 miles to surprise my ex. He wasn't my ex at the time, obviously.

Luckily, he was very happy to see me. smile

Spangler Wed 30-Dec-20 22:20:23

There was an article in, I think, the now defunct, London Evening News, that I read to my wife back some fifty years ago. The reporter, interviewing a couple who were celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary, asked how they kept the romance alive. The wife said that they had never had a cross word.

My wife responded to this by saying, "I bet they have never been on a dance floor." I tell you, when you are learning a new dance routine, the spats come thick and fast. I had to laugh, adding, "the only love that I can think of that is always constant, is zero in a tennis match." "About right," my wife concurred.

Bellanonna Wed 30-Dec-20 23:09:51

My husband used to write “I love you” in the condensation on the kitchen window, or the same message etched in the frost on the car roof.

Sunnysideup Thu 31-Dec-20 10:24:52

I entered myself and then fiancé into a ‘find the most romantic couple’ in the town I was living in competition, and we won! He is now my husband of 13 years and we both continue to be romantic with each other. We feel it’s an important part of our marriage and makes us both feel very loved.

TerryM Thu 31-Dec-20 10:30:32

My husband isn't a romantic type
However quite a few years ago when money was exceptional tight one Valentine's Day he gave me a chocolate rose . I got so cranky , he said "don't get cranky I found the coins in the car and it was only $1 , I just wanted to give you something"
He has does a few romantic things , my very laid back pragmatic husband

Quizzer Thu 31-Dec-20 10:45:35

Kandinsky - my DH is like yours. He wouldn't know a romantic gesture if it smacked him in the face! I have had to learn to live with it over more than 40 years, but I just wish that he would just occasionally do something more romantic than offer to vacuum the carpets.

Youcantchoosethem Thu 31-Dec-20 10:55:09

My OH got me a box of notes for each day of the year for Christmas this year - all with individual thoughts of what I mean to him.

His father last year wrote a card to his mother to ask her to marry him again - they had been married by that time for 67 years and were always so in love. She unfortunately passed away on the night of the 29th December this year and he is bereft without her but she died with him holding her hand, lying next to her, in bed at home, not in pain and just from “old age” - who can ask for better than that? flowers

kwest Thu 31-Dec-20 11:09:11

After 52 years of marriage my husband still occasionally texts me to say "I just called to say I love you".
I know this is not romantic but I hope it is thoughtful, he loves a crisp unread front section of the Telegraph. I leave this for him and I read The Times and at weekend I leave both front pieces of the papers. I must admit I like the magazines and other sections anyway.

Pearlsaminger Thu 31-Dec-20 11:14:17

Pantglas2

I made heart shaped scones once and put them in DH’s lunch box - he opened it at a site meeting surrounded by hairy-assed builders and was not impressed.....?

I bet they were just jealous grin

Moggycuddler Thu 31-Dec-20 11:28:01

Been happily married 41 years but not really overly "romantic" or hearts and flowersy type people. In our first year, I think, hubby wrote a little poem about me called "Green eyed girl" (as a nod to Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl.) It was very sweet, though probably not technically very good!!! We do a lot of little everyday caring things for each other, and actions speak louder than words or typically romantic gestures!

Aepgirl Thu 31-Dec-20 13:10:37

I have chosen to forget the romantic gestures I made as my ex-husband clearly didn’t appreciate them.

However, he always bought me flowers every Friday (even the Friday before he walked out on the Monday).

lemongrove Thu 31-Dec-20 13:15:44

Quizzer

Kandinsky - my DH is like yours. He wouldn't know a romantic gesture if it smacked him in the face! I have had to learn to live with it over more than 40 years, but I just wish that he would just occasionally do something more romantic than offer to vacuum the carpets.

Same here?
Although I do appreciate the vacuuming being done?

Glasgo Thu 31-Dec-20 13:24:46

We were married when I was 17. Our song at that time was ‘they tried to tell us we’re too young’, as many people thought it will never last. Now 52 years later my OH tells me every day ‘you are still beautiful’. Nothing to do with his failing eyesight of course. I’m not so romantic I’m afraid.

Kartush Thu 31-Dec-20 13:32:03

Romantic for me is not flowers or chocolates or gifts, its a warm steaming bowl of chicken soup when I am sick or finding the blanket pulled over me when it gets chilly in the middle of the night.

Foxglove77 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:34:20

A couple of times my husband has wondered in from the garden with a single rose for me saying "the first rose of spring for you". I also have kept letters he wrote to me 40 odd years ago when he had to go to an assessment centre after a bad fall.

Graygirl Thu 31-Dec-20 13:40:50

When in Hong Kong with army mid 70s. Met a solider on his last trip away due to retire when he returned to uk. Had never sent his wife card/letter when away in 22years his habit was say bye to family then just turn up again one day, this time he was persuaded to send card, so she got a post card of the peak that said
I am all right ,if your all right, so that's all right , love Gus. How that for romance

PamelaJ1 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:47:49

I had gone to visit my parents in HK and my husband to be sent me some red roses. They arrived about 2 weeks after I got back to England.
Mum sent a photo.
That was the end of romantic gestures but he’s been a wonderful husband for 48 years so that’s fine by me.

icanhandthemback Thu 31-Dec-20 14:01:49

My husband isn't romantic although he will occasionally buy me a romantic card instead of a funny one at Christmas or for my Birthday because he knows I like it. However, if it is frosty outside, I will find the windows cleared for me on my car, the gate is always open when I come back from a bike ride, always a "drive safely" as I go out the door and a million other little things that say "I love you," clearer than words. It makes me feel really cared for and I really appreciate it far more in the long run than a romantic gesture although I tease him about the lack of them.

debgaga Thu 31-Dec-20 14:02:53

I have a heart shaped egg poacher and I cut the toast in a heart shape to match. I like to have hearts around my home to remind me that love is all around

Nicegranny Thu 31-Dec-20 14:24:41

Get me a bucket ?

Sorry ladies I’m so not romantic, do you think it’s why lm single? ?

Tickledpink Thu 31-Dec-20 14:32:13

Not much romance in the sense of flowers and serenades etc but DH makes lovely things for the home and garden. He also made my birthday cake, a man who rarely goes into the kitchen unless to raid the fridge.

MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 14:36:39

Nicegranny
You would be well matched with one of my exes.
9 years together, and he proudly presented me with a flimsy card from a packet of 100.

Inside, it said "Best wishes, Kevin".

Curlywhirly Thu 31-Dec-20 14:59:33

Not long after we were married I tried a beautiful suit on in a shop a few miles from our home. I didn't buy it, as newlyweds we didn't have much money, and I couldn't justify getting it. I described the suit to my DH and he said "Well its nearly Christmas, you should have treated yourself". Needless to say on Christmas morning my gift from him was the suit! And this from a man who had never been in a ladies dress shop and absolutely hated shopping ?
My romantic gesture (and I use the term loosely!) was scrubbing and washing his rugby kit every week when we were courting; we were only young teenagers and he spent every Friday night (he still leaves everything to the last minute) trying to wash and dry his kit for Saturday's game (no driers in those days). Little did I know that I would be scrubbing rugby kit for the next 40 years (his and our 2 sons!).

Bluecat Thu 31-Dec-20 15:07:14

My DH isn't the slightest bit romantic, despite my many hints. We've been together for 45 years, so it's unlikely he'll change now. I used to do the thing with little notes in the packed lunches but realised it was a waste of time.

The first year that we met, he gave me a pretty Christmas card in a box. However, he had addressed it to me formally by my full name, signed it with his full name (like I wouldn't know who he was!) and no message or kisses. I was cross with him at the time about something else, so I took the card and kicked it down the hall.

He did get the hint on that occasion, and always writes cards now with long loving messages and lots of kisses. However, he writes them all in capital letters and our DDs say that they look as if they have been written by a serial killer. I treasure them anyway!