Gransnet forums

Chat

A nice romantic thread

(90 Posts)
LauraNorder Wed 30-Dec-20 16:45:58

What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done.
I used to put little love notes between the sandwiches in Orlin’s packed lunch.

LauraNorder Thu 31-Dec-20 21:48:00

Same for us Gingster, we were 15 when we got together and have been married for fifty years.
We don’t need flowers and chocs to show our love but sometimes a light touch, a thoughtful message, a cup of tea in the morning, sharing the pleasure of a lovely sunset, little everyday things we might not notice are the real romance

Gingster Thu 31-Dec-20 19:40:35

I find romantic gestures a bit uncomfortable and unnecessary. I don’t need flowers and I love you messages. It’s already in our day to day lives. It’s our golden wedding in July and we’ve been together since we were 16.

Clancy01 Thu 31-Dec-20 19:28:44

Wish I had someone to be romantic with

Callistemon Thu 31-Dec-20 17:20:12

LauraNorder

*Flakes*, my sons too are quite romantic, goodness knows where that came from.

And that DS is too
I think DIL might be more like me (not sure)

Callistemon Thu 31-Dec-20 17:19:06

I've realised that I am not at all romantic but that DH is

LauraNorder Thu 31-Dec-20 17:18:29

Flakes, my sons too are quite romantic, goodness knows where that came from.

LauraNorder Thu 31-Dec-20 17:16:48

Some lovely romance here but much more importantly to my mind some great humour. Nice that most of us feel loved in spite of no flowers or chocolate.
When I told Orlin that Spangler gave his wife flowers every week he said ‘there must be a lot of cemeteries around his way’.
He is unromantic but he does make me laugh even if his humour is weird.
Funny how many of us made packed lunches for our men in the olden days, and we all thought we were original putting notes in between the sandwiches.

Flakesdayout Thu 31-Dec-20 17:05:58

Romance for us has slipped. I used to put notes in the OH.s lunch box but as he does his own now as I will not get up at 4.30am to make them and he would leave notes next to my my pillow. The last thing I put in his lunch box was a tampon as he was being a real grump and I said he was hormonal.
My sons are romantic. When one was planning on asking his girlfriend to get married he ordered a white arch and decorated it with lights, and lit the hallway with tea lights. When she opened the door and walked through he stood under the arch with an engagement ring. My other son took his girlfriend on holiday to Budapest, wouldnt let her put her hands in his pockets to keep warm as he had the ring box in there. He took her to a point overlooking the sea
and presented the ring to her there. They are now both married (within a month of each other) and both very happy.

hulahoop Thu 31-Dec-20 17:03:21

Don't know why it missed in sandwich box ?

hulahoop Thu 31-Dec-20 17:01:30

I once put a bar of his favorite chocolate bar a frys cream unfortunately the dye from the wrapper ruined his sandwiches ?

PattyFingers Thu 31-Dec-20 16:50:40

We love being in each others company and thank goodness for that with this terrible year. I tend to do romantic things for DH. This year I decided to do five pages of 'movie lines' (mostly one liners) so that he could guess which film they came from. We watch a lot of films so over time he should get them?! We do a few each day.

Happysexagenarian Thu 31-Dec-20 16:41:35

paddyanne
That's lovely.

sharon103 Thu 31-Dec-20 15:13:00

paddyanne

We stand at the altar we were married at every year on the date and time of the wedding...45 years and counting.Until this year when we had to stand outside because the church was closed due to Covid

Aww that's so lovely paddyanne.

sweetcakes Thu 31-Dec-20 15:12:53

I sent my husband a single red rose once to his work place on valentine's day he worked so hard I thought he deserved it ❤

Bluecat Thu 31-Dec-20 15:07:14

My DH isn't the slightest bit romantic, despite my many hints. We've been together for 45 years, so it's unlikely he'll change now. I used to do the thing with little notes in the packed lunches but realised it was a waste of time.

The first year that we met, he gave me a pretty Christmas card in a box. However, he had addressed it to me formally by my full name, signed it with his full name (like I wouldn't know who he was!) and no message or kisses. I was cross with him at the time about something else, so I took the card and kicked it down the hall.

He did get the hint on that occasion, and always writes cards now with long loving messages and lots of kisses. However, he writes them all in capital letters and our DDs say that they look as if they have been written by a serial killer. I treasure them anyway!

Curlywhirly Thu 31-Dec-20 14:59:33

Not long after we were married I tried a beautiful suit on in a shop a few miles from our home. I didn't buy it, as newlyweds we didn't have much money, and I couldn't justify getting it. I described the suit to my DH and he said "Well its nearly Christmas, you should have treated yourself". Needless to say on Christmas morning my gift from him was the suit! And this from a man who had never been in a ladies dress shop and absolutely hated shopping ?
My romantic gesture (and I use the term loosely!) was scrubbing and washing his rugby kit every week when we were courting; we were only young teenagers and he spent every Friday night (he still leaves everything to the last minute) trying to wash and dry his kit for Saturday's game (no driers in those days). Little did I know that I would be scrubbing rugby kit for the next 40 years (his and our 2 sons!).

MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 14:36:39

Nicegranny
You would be well matched with one of my exes.
9 years together, and he proudly presented me with a flimsy card from a packet of 100.

Inside, it said "Best wishes, Kevin".

Tickledpink Thu 31-Dec-20 14:32:13

Not much romance in the sense of flowers and serenades etc but DH makes lovely things for the home and garden. He also made my birthday cake, a man who rarely goes into the kitchen unless to raid the fridge.

Nicegranny Thu 31-Dec-20 14:24:41

Get me a bucket ?

Sorry ladies I’m so not romantic, do you think it’s why lm single? ?

debgaga Thu 31-Dec-20 14:02:53

I have a heart shaped egg poacher and I cut the toast in a heart shape to match. I like to have hearts around my home to remind me that love is all around

icanhandthemback Thu 31-Dec-20 14:01:49

My husband isn't romantic although he will occasionally buy me a romantic card instead of a funny one at Christmas or for my Birthday because he knows I like it. However, if it is frosty outside, I will find the windows cleared for me on my car, the gate is always open when I come back from a bike ride, always a "drive safely" as I go out the door and a million other little things that say "I love you," clearer than words. It makes me feel really cared for and I really appreciate it far more in the long run than a romantic gesture although I tease him about the lack of them.

PamelaJ1 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:47:49

I had gone to visit my parents in HK and my husband to be sent me some red roses. They arrived about 2 weeks after I got back to England.
Mum sent a photo.
That was the end of romantic gestures but he’s been a wonderful husband for 48 years so that’s fine by me.

Graygirl Thu 31-Dec-20 13:40:50

When in Hong Kong with army mid 70s. Met a solider on his last trip away due to retire when he returned to uk. Had never sent his wife card/letter when away in 22years his habit was say bye to family then just turn up again one day, this time he was persuaded to send card, so she got a post card of the peak that said
I am all right ,if your all right, so that's all right , love Gus. How that for romance

Foxglove77 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:34:20

A couple of times my husband has wondered in from the garden with a single rose for me saying "the first rose of spring for you". I also have kept letters he wrote to me 40 odd years ago when he had to go to an assessment centre after a bad fall.

Kartush Thu 31-Dec-20 13:32:03

Romantic for me is not flowers or chocolates or gifts, its a warm steaming bowl of chicken soup when I am sick or finding the blanket pulled over me when it gets chilly in the middle of the night.