Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year

(58 Posts)
Sunny82z Thu 31-Dec-20 22:14:47

I don't think anybody would argue that we have all had a grim year so may I offer this to you all for 2021 from Tennyson; "Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come whispering 'It will be happier' ". Happy New Year everybody.

Doodle Fri 01-Jan-21 20:47:53

Granny23 I am sorry for your sadness and hurt. It must be hard when others are being jolly and you are in pain.
Christmas a year ago was not a good time for me. Others being miserable and sad did not help me. We all have our times of sorrow and pain. I hope you find some comfort on GN. There are many who have lost their loved ones and several bereavement threads. I hope you can find one to join where you can get support from others who know your pain.
Take care.

rosecarmel Fri 01-Jan-21 17:45:42

Granny23, below is a quote from King Herald's traditional New Years Speech:

"I feel with you who go in the New Year with grief and uncertainty. With you who have lost (your homes), and who are right now despairing and do not see the way forward-"

His compassionate sentiments were directed towards those who lost homes and loved ones in the recent landslide in Norway- But his words could also bring a bit of comfort to anyone grieving-

rosecarmel Fri 01-Jan-21 15:30:35

There is a difference between wishing others moments of comfort, wonderment, joy and peace and expecting them to experience each- They are offerings- To one and all- Because many suffer and grieve during the dark days of winter, these are the very reasons many of these practices and traditions came to be-

henetha Fri 01-Jan-21 11:41:06

Happy new year to all, - and I really hope it is, - from the Devonshire dumpling. (me!) grin

MiniMoon Fri 01-Jan-21 11:12:32

Happy New Year to one and all.

images.app.goo.gl/jcdYvUUatuVZkbSM6

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 11:05:32

Granny23 from your other posts, I suspected that you were really struggling and suffering badly and you have confirmed that. You are grieving and grief demonstrates itself in many ways.

Some, even those who are not grieving, find New Year and the past year's events hard to deal with, especially this year. Many of us are in a very bad place too, but no-one has put pressure on you nor I to join in. It's not anyone's fault that my life nor yours, isn't how we would wish it to be and I certainly wouldn't berate anyone GN for sending New Year good wishes.
How could anyone on here know your circumstances, I for one didn't?
Posters on here are very supportive, I know that for a fact, given the number of PMs I have received in the past few days.

I'm positive that if you started a thread, saying how you feel, there would be so many others on GN who would understand exactly what you are experiencing and would be able to support you.
I do hope you eventually find some peace.

Granny23 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:48:23

The point of posting on this thread is to alert folks who ARE able to make the best of things and enjoy Christmas and New Year, to the plight of those of us for whom enforced jollity is beyond us. I was a distraught wreak after receiving loads of 'have a happy Christmas and Great New Year' cards. Those who did not know that DH had died could be forgiven, but those who did know and still sent generic 'joyful' cards to me alone are thoughtless to say the least. I am not seeking to spoil anyone else's joy and celebrations, just don't ask or expect me to join in.

maydonoz Fri 01-Jan-21 10:42:51

Wishing all GNs a happy and healthy New Year and throughout 2021, it surely must be better than 2020.

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 09:57:23

As one who has been really struggling, I am happy see this thread as a lighter note in among all the sadness and sorrow.
Thank you for starting it, Sunny. I for one can't see any pressure to be jolly.

Granny23, perhaps you could start a support thread for all who are struggling.

Lucca Fri 01-Jan-21 09:46:32

No pressure to be jolly that I’ve noticed !

Granny23 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:43:39

Amid all the Happy New Year messages, Please give a thought to those who are really struggling in one way or another. Don't add to their burden by pressuring them to be jolly, try instead to show understanding.

It is the last two verses of Burns' To a mouse' that keep resonating through my brain:
But mousie thou art no thy lain
In proving foresicht may be vain
The best laid schemes o mice and men
gang aft agley
and leave us naught but grief and pain
for promised joy.

Still thou art blessed compared wi me
the present only toucheth thee
But oft I backward cast an ee
on prospects drear
And forward (tho I cannae see)
I guess and fear.

Yiayia4 Fri 01-Jan-21 09:34:49

New dawn ,New day ,New year,may it be a better one for all??

Alygran Fri 01-Jan-21 09:25:29

Happy New Year everyone

sodapop Fri 01-Jan-21 09:20:06

Happy New Year everyone wine

Bathsheba Fri 01-Jan-21 08:57:59

I have always been mildly irritated every New Year at all the SM messages along the lines of 'thank heavens that year's over' or 'let's hope the New Year will be better than this Godawful one'.

Never could these sentiments be more true than this year however, and I will forgive anyone who says this!

So here goes: "Thank Heavens that year's over, let's hope 2021 will be better, healthier and happier for us all"

TerriBull Fri 01-Jan-21 08:14:40

Wishing all a Happy New Year and hopefully better things ahead.

A big goodbye and good riddance to 2020, a year when our bins went out more than we did sad

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Jan-21 07:23:44

I echo the wishes to all

Spinnaker Fri 01-Jan-21 05:55:15

Happy New Year to all Gransnetters wherever you are smile

BlueBelle Fri 01-Jan-21 05:52:22

Happy and not only happy but a more peaceful and positive New Year to all of us

(jangran when I skim read your little sentence I wondered why you wanted me to have a smelly bum ???)

Flicker Fri 01-Jan-21 05:42:06

Happy New Year! Lets hope it's a good one?

Kim19 Fri 01-Jan-21 05:10:14

Here's to all of us for 2021! It can only get better.?

rosecarmel Fri 01-Jan-21 05:05:17

Happy New year everyone!

Greendress Fri 01-Jan-21 01:58:52

Happy New Year to everyone xxx

honeyrose Fri 01-Jan-21 01:50:51

Happy New Year everyone. Let’s hope and pray that in 2021 the pandemic will be contained. Thanks to everyone on GN for a great source of support and also entertainment. Best wishes all. thanks

sharon103 Fri 01-Jan-21 01:19:54

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year. xxxx