Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(74 Posts)
12Michael Sat 02-Jan-21 06:13:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but looks cold outside here in Brackley this morning.
This will be the first Saturday, for a long time where the stay safe and at home option will apply.
I maybe would have a Chinese Take Away, but will decline until the temperatures rise a little.
I think the Jet Stream is slightly to the west of the UK, allowing the cold air to come in from the east .
Take care,
Mick

Greyduster Sat 02-Jan-21 08:30:03

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s a clear, crisp start to the South Yorkshire day. The moon was still shining brightly at eight o’clock though it was quite light by then. I have an appointment to get my right ear syringed this morning; the one they didn’t manage to clear before Christmas. I hope that will be the end of it then. DH will be listening to the football this afternoon so I will potter. Have the best day you can folks.

Nortsat Sat 02-Jan-21 08:37:30

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London where it is grey.

Gagagran I am pleased you’ve noticed daylight creeping back. I haven’t yet, but somehow have found these pitch dark mornings at 6.30am - 7.00am really oppressive this year.

We had a nice New Year’s Day but the quietest we have ever had I think. No going out, no visitors just Zoom.

Window cleaner this morning, on line grocery shop and then film night. We are having takeaway as a change from the Christmas cooking. I still have one turkey leg in the freezer, but won’t have any trouble using it up.

Thinking of those facing challenges and with poorly loved ones. Hoping Cherry and Mary had a decent night. Happy New Year gillybob incase you’re reading.
Have a good day, all. ?

Grammaretto Sat 02-Jan-21 08:48:53

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. It is snowing on top of icy snow. I don't fancy venturing out today. Sun, oh great one, where are you?
I did a very short walk constitutional along the road and around the park as the pavements are treacherous . I spoke (distantly of-course) to 2 neighbours who were doing the same thing.

I am beginning to feel lonely and must make some phone calls today before I feel too sorry for myself.

What's Virgin River like? I have been watching The Queens Gambit but can only manage short bursts as it is slightly terrifying.

Have as good a day as you can GMers.

MawBe Sat 02-Jan-21 08:50:11

Good morning all from N Bucks where is crisp and bright. It actually feels more like a “new” year than yesterday’s cold, dark start.
Today’s task (?) is to pick up Hattie’s worm tablets from the vet - I do see the high life here grin
And catch up with the second Icelandic wool throw I have started for D 2
Wishing you a gentle and forgiving day and some catch up rest for those who had a bad night.

farview Sat 02-Jan-21 08:55:04

Morning Mick and all..very very cold in Bolton but the light outside is beautiful today
Off out for a walk with my friend..be good to talk and good to have time away from my inmate here.
All keep safe,find a smile and be good!! ?

Anniebach Sat 02-Jan-21 08:55:30

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

baubles Sat 02-Jan-21 08:56:22

Good morning Mick and everyone from bitterly cold S Lanarkshire, the ground now has a thick covering of frozen snow. One of our younger neighbours donned his ice skates and skated up and down the street yesterday, a very funny sight but I wasn’t laughing trying to walk the dog later as I picked my way very gingerly to the park.

Lovely photo Bellasnana and viridian sitting out under the stars sounds fabulous. That’s a pretty dress scentia, and without a pattern? Very clever. I only ever made dressing up costumes for my children, I was too hash bashy to attempt real clothes.

My sister rang yesterday with the news that one of her GC has Covid. The wee soul is only 9 months, the youngest of three children. Everyone else has tested negative at the moment so no idea how the little one has it, they are in London where numbers are high, I’m keeping everything crossed that she recovers quickly and that the rest of the family stay uninfected.

Not much happening here today, it’s been so long since we were able to go anywhere and now the weather is against us too. Roll on springtime.

Wishing you all the best day possible, look after yourselves.

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jan-21 08:58:17

Good morning Mick and all from a damp S Hants, no frost today. Actually got out for a walk yesterday, it was 0.5 with freezing fog, very pretty spiders webs on the street signs.
My son is 30 today, can’t even give him a hug, no partying or pub for him, he was a home birth, I remember it well. Tree and decs down today, the rooms will look bare, the positive is that we’re a bit closer to Spring. I’m not liking the rumbles I’m picking up for significant ‘weather’ at the end of January, don’t need that.
Have a gentle day all.

NotAGran55 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:00:06

Good morning from dry and bright West Berkshire.
Decorations down this morning and then make soup for lunch . Back to sensible eating after the recent indulgences.

This afternoon I will give myself a manicure and pedicure whilst listening to the football ⚽️ on the radio . Need another win under our belts .

Happy weekend everyone. Stay safe .

Lins1066 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:03:03

Good morning Mick and all, failed to post earlier, no idea why.
It is 2 degrees and bright here on the S Welsh coast. Mr L and I had our usual New Year's Day buffet but no family to share it with for the first time.
Soup and cheese for us today and a stroll with the puppy. Best wishes to Marydoll and Cherry for a better day. Best wishes to "Auntieflo* too.
Have a pleasant day everyone, come back to us gilly.

Lins1066 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:09:27

Sorry I missed your moniker Auntyflo blush
A HAPPY birthday to your son jaxjacky
Hope your sister's grandchild recovers soon baubles, what a worry.
Grammaretto flowers

Auntieflo Sat 02-Jan-21 09:10:49

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all, with apologies that I didn't pop in and wish everybody a Happy New Year. We were late up and things then all just got so behind... story of my life.

It is not so cold here this morning as it seemed to be yesterday, good, as we have to go out and get some shopping and collect prescriptions later. We so miss not being able to meet with friends in our Church coffee shop. It was lovely to have a quiet New Years Day in, with absolutely no need to go out. Well done for some shops remaining closed for the day.

All decorations are down and put away, except for the long string of lights in the lounge, they are so nice that I persuaded DH to leave them in situ. I almost forgot the front door wreath, because we have had no cause to go out, but that is also now put away, in the garage. No doubt next year I will be looking for it. All christmassy things usually go into the loft, but that is out of bounds to me at the moment. Shame, as I love going up there and rummaging!

Harrigran, nice to hear that your poor tum is feeling a bit better. Take care.
Scentia, your little dress is very sweet. I hope you soon get the new patterns and have your own sewing bee.

To all the Good morningers who have been struggling lately, sending gentle thoughts and wishes for a peaceful time.

Marydoll hope you are managing to get a decent night's sleep.
And, to all the ones I haven't managed to mention by name, I apologise, but you are in my thoughts.

Gillybob, if you pop in and read, wishing you a much better year.

Have a good day one and all.

Marydoll Sat 02-Jan-21 09:11:20

This my second attempt a posting, serious Internet problems. Luckily I had copied some of it.

So good morning all from a very cold Glasgow. Viridian I don't think you would have lasted as long here in Glasgow garden, but your garden stay did sound sound idyllic!

We attempted a short walk round the block yesterday, but between the bitter cold, being breathless and groups of people out walking, forcing us onto the busy road, as there was no distancing, we gave up. sad . The views across to Loch Lomond and the snow capped hills, from the end of our road were beautiful. We are indeed fortunate.

Nothing much planned today apart from altering a dress I bought. Its too long and the length makes me look frumpy, so the hem needs to come up. Not quite on the talented scale of Grand Mattie and Scentia.?

Bella your post reminded me of your DD who injured her hand. Is she the one who made the road trip? How is your daughter's hand?

Baubles, how worrying for you all. I do hope the wee one makes a quick recovery.

I have to go and check on the cinammon muffins I have made for DH. It's a Paul Hollywood recipe, which I wasn't too impressed with last time I made them. If it's a disaster this time, I'm ditching him!!!! ?

Wishing everyone a safe and pleasant day. Take care everyone.

Lins1066 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:12:06

Miss spelt! Oh dear I will get used to this new tablet at some point...... Need Miss Marydoll to give me lessons methinks.

Gelisajams Sat 02-Jan-21 09:14:46

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where we still have a bit of frozen snow.
We tried a walk yesterday but it was treacherous under foot, so we didn’t get far before slip sliding home. Later we tried again and took the camper to a quiet stretch by the sea. There wasn’t as much ice there so attempted another short walk. It’s a popular spot for dog walkers and I managed to walk in something rather unpleasant. Poor DH kindly cleaned my boot best he could with the tissues and wipes that live in the van, but it’s my job to clean the mat today, as of course I hadn’t realised what I’d done until I’d wiped it everywhere!
Not the best start to the new year!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

NannyJan53 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:19:31

Good morning from a very icy Black Country.

There was a slight thaw yesterday, so we had a walk to the park, and round the lake. Saw our next door neighbours, and had a distanced chat. Was shocked to hear he said he won't be having the vaccine, and he thinks Covid is not as serious as it is made out. He is in his early 50's. This is why it is spreading I think, as there is a sizeable amount of the population who think the same. angry

Taking the Decorations down today, we planned to do it yesterday but didn't get a round tuit! Then I will make a few mincepies to finish off the opened jar. It is Mums birthday tomorrow, and as I can't take her out to lunch as usual, I will take a lasagne I will make today.

Wishing you all a good day, and hoping that gilly will be able to join us soon.

Gingster Sat 02-Jan-21 09:20:36

Good morning all from a nippy Essex.

Decs are all down and No.1 Ds will pop round to put them In The loft. I need my craft bag down so will ask him to hunt for that. The house is now dust free and spick and span but I do miss the twinkly lights.

Dh will get the papers and I will walk little pooch this morning. He does the afternoon walk so we both get our excercise and it’s quite nice to have time on our own. As the weather improves we will go further afield and walk together.

Scentia that is an excellent first attempt. ?

Viridian that sounds lovely.

Five years ago today we went in a world cruise. It was an amazing experience and we were away for 4 months. I wonder if we’ll ever be able to do it again ?

Kindly wishes to all ?

Kim19 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:36:45

Morning all! I had lovely photos of GC skiing testerday. Rather them than me (not that I can do it any longer!) but they seemed to be having a ball. Hope you all have a successful day whatever it entails. Mine will be strictly indoors. Pretty icy underfoot outside. Much to do but my success rate has been negligible recently. Think it's called laziness!

NanKate Sat 02-Jan-21 09:37:19

Yes I think Virgin River is well worth watching Grammaretto. Sparklefizz recommended it to me and I watched all 20 episodes in just over a week !

Mapleleaf Sat 02-Jan-21 09:45:12

Good morning all,

It's a bright but very cold start to the day here in South Yorkshire. We seem to get a bright day followed by a dull one lately.

Not much on the agenda for today, just the usual jobs about the house and some veg shopping.

Hope you all have a decent day, and ?for all who are troubled or unwell.

Grandmafrench Sat 02-Jan-21 10:03:13

Good Morning everyone. S of France a bit overcast today. Snow in the ? mountains.

Had a magical New Year’s Day walk on a big sunny beach yesterday. Lots of people but we were able to avoid any groups and found a tiny cove where we sat alone on the rocks next to the water and were able to take off jackets and enjoy the hot sun on our faces. Dogs had a great time trying to eat shells and random bits of wood! Drove home at sunset feeling very calm and positive.

Gelisa as a 2 dog family, nothing makes us more crazy with rage. My DH once referred to me as Lady Poohbag since I carry bags in every pocket. The thought that anything should be left for others to tread in disgusts me. It’s about as irresponsible and anti-social as it gets, IMO.

Bit bonkers, your adventure Viridian but lovely...can understand why you’d be tempted. Take it easy eith those hips, please.

NannyJan bet you were glad of that Covid update. Imagine us all thinking that the virus was a serious problem. ? Ah well, suppose you can’t fix stupid. Hope you managed to keep a straight face? ?

Mary don’t risk hurting your health for a lovely view, please. Stay warm. Hope your cinnamon buns are a success. (Mine wouldn’t be, I’m afraid, simply because of the Hollywood connection! How’s that for unreasonable tv-face prejudice!! )

Bit concerned about you both, Harri - have you spoken to your Doctor? Maybe you need a test? Get plenty of rest. x

Gingster what amazing memories. Never say never, though. You should consider doing something like that again...once it’s safe.

Sun’s arrived. I’m off to do some laundry. Take care all, especially on anything slip-slidey and which involves loft ladders.

Remember to smile, especially as it’s New Year Smiling now.
Warm hugs and high hopes for your day, Good Morning peeps!

Until tomorrow? ?‍♀️??

annsixty Sat 02-Jan-21 10:03:29

Good morning all from a very cold Stockport.
Yesterday my GD and I got up to a freezing cold house, the boiler was not working.
We managed to get it started but it was on the blink all day.
Hurrah for BG who were here ,in the person of a lovely young engineer, at 8:25 and had us up and running by 8:55.
The circuit board/ box needed replacing.
Very impressed by the service.
Another day in, too icy for me to trial my new hip on the pavements, I am becoming a recluse and will rename myself Miss Haversham.
However no cobwebs here, my GD set too yesterday and took down the tree and the few decs and thoroughly dusted and polished the living room.
Have the best day you can everyone.

BlueSapphire Sat 02-Jan-21 10:10:34

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Northampton. I really should venture out for a walk today, but there is no pleasure for me in walking alone. Oh how I long for my walking groups to start again! Or for DD to bring the dogs over and say "Come on Mum!"

I thought I was getting up at 8.30 this morning, but when I got downstairs and looked at the clock it was 9.30!

Did not do a lot yesterday except watch tv and read; will probably be the same today. I had a bit of a wobble yesterday afternoon, longing for some company- it seemed such a long day. I will have a go at the cryptic crossword later, as Saturday's is usually a bit easier. May watch the rugby this afternoon. Then I have a steak to cook for tonight's dinner.

I really enjoyed the Torvil and Deane documentary last night, searching for wild ice to skate on in Alaska. The scenery was stunning, and I had tears in my eyes when they eventually got to dance Bolero in the open air. They still have the magic.

Well, suppose I must get ready to face the day. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Grammaretto Sat 02-Jan-21 10:27:34

Thanks NanKate I will give Virgin River a try. Thanks for the flowers Lins smile
Happy Birthday to your "baby boy" Jaxj just think what a party you will have when this is all over.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Jan-21 10:36:38

Good morning all from a white West Yorkshire. DH has just got back from town and reported that none of the traders have turned up at our small market today, so I’ll be adding the fresh stuff to the Sainsburys order later. That and writing up the 2021 calendar (with birthdays and anniversaries, not things to do!) will be my important jobs of the day. grin

I doubt I’ll be going out unless the pavements clear. At least we’ve got a good view to look out at - we’ll throw the window open for a stiff breeze and imagine we’re out there! I’ll be working on the cryptic crossword too, BlueSapphire, though I’ll pass on the rugby. I do have a keen interest in the football, but only because I’m a highly competitive Fantasy Football manager.

Have the best day you can, everyone.