Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(82 Posts)
12Michael Mon 04-Jan-21 06:10:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its still dark here in Brackley this morning, a usual day for me under the current circumstances.
Maybe a walk , but will stay safe in my flat and avoid any contact with others .
Take Care,
Mick

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 14:49:14

before I went to the Drs for a blood test. The nurse asked me what it was for?
Auntieflo I had to go for a blood test this morning.
The nurse said "Ooh, the vampires are going to be pleased with this little lot*, so I presume that's what it's for!
We then had a chat about the vampire finches on the TV last night.

Auntieflo Mon 04-Jan-21 14:33:52

Good afternoon Mick, Annie, and all.. Apologies, again, for tardiness.
I actually hoovered downstairs earlier, rather that just G-tech, and as it is a New Year, gave it a birthday and changed the bag.
Then we had to have coffee, before I went to the Drs for a blood test. The nurse asked me what it was for? I didn't know, just turn up and hold out arm for removal of blood. She is new, to be fair, but found out that it is a yearly thing as I am on blood thinners.
I had been going to take the glass recycling with me and get rid of it at the local shops, but glad I didn't , as the bins were overflowing.
Then we drove to town to collect an order from Robert Dyas, so took the recycling to the bins in Waitrose car park. They were also pretty stuffed full.
Home to a pot of tea and a sandwich lunch, and a catch up with GN.
Hope Marydoll is getting stronger, and sorry to hear that MrGagagran, has had catheter problems, and that GrannySomerset's DH has been in the wars.
StillLearning, I used to love Norah Lofts books, but haven't read any for such a long time.
Such a lot to take in, and can't remember all who have been having problems.
Best wishes to Gillybob if she pops in.
Enjoy the rest of the day, one and all, and apologies for the ramblings. ?

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 14:25:57

grandMattie

I've got no excuse, Callistemon, I've got my own office/study/sewing room!

Do we need to tell everyone our house value before we can join this thread?

It can't be worth a lot, as I don't have a sewing room!

GrannySomerset Mon 04-Jan-21 13:55:22

DH’s trip to the walk in centre took an hour and a half, door to door, with efficient and kindly treatment by an expert nurse. We have to go back on Thursday, which is a pain, but we are most grateful for such good treatment. In normal times our own surgery acts as a minor injuries unit, and DH has had the consequences of falls treated there several times, but nothing is normal at the moment. Yet again, thank goodness for the NHS!

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 13:01:24

Doing what makes you happy then HappyMe!
Quite right.

Happyme Mon 04-Jan-21 12:58:50

Hi urmstongran?, thank you. Wanted a positive moniker. As you can tell I haven't starter on the cooker cleaning yet.....or the exercising!!! Time for another cup of tea methinks ......this chat is leading me astray grin

Happyme Mon 04-Jan-21 12:50:31

Hi grandMattie, house defintely priceless....to me anyway. Love my home. Married 46 years, moved 11 times in the first 20 years , family joke that we would move rather than redecorate, then lived here for last 26. And yes we have occassionally redecorated, although thinking about it the wallpaper in our bathroom has been on for 20 years blush. Tempted by warmer climates but no place like home.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 12:48:19

Actually grandMattie you may notice that Happyme told us house value definitely priceless grin
?

Welcome to you Happyme ? I too love your name!

Thanks for your good wishes LauraNorder the phone hasn’t rung yet ...

grandMattie Mon 04-Jan-21 12:34:05

I've got no excuse, Callistemon, I've got my own office/study/sewing room!

grandMattie Mon 04-Jan-21 12:33:05

Happyme you forgot to say how much your house was worth. Thought I would jump in before Urmstongan asked you... grin

Happyme Mon 04-Jan-21 12:32:07

Many thanks NannyJan53, farview and Laura Norder. I do enjoy reading this thread as it is always friendly and inspiring, sorely needed at the moment. My target for the day is to clean the cooker.......as you may guess i am procrastinating .....though the shelves are steeping in hot soapy water so that is a start. Oh and I must start doing some fitness exercises again, sadly missing the gym....and some motivation.sad

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 12:06:49

farview ouch!

Could you get it glued at the GP surgery?

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 12:05:40

grandMattie

Regarding sewing - it only takes me 2 hours to make a pair of trousers. 4 pieces to join. No, my whinge is that I have it up to here with making stuff:- 5 pairs of trousers, one black crushed velvet skirt and 15 pairs of knickers altered in less than a month... ???

I got fed up with making masks, GrandMattie!

Now DH has taken over the table with puzzles so there's no room for the machine.
I'm not grumbling.

hollysteers Mon 04-Jan-21 12:04:52

Morning Mick and all from Damp Dowers, northwest coast. (just scraped in here..)
Hardly know what day it is but yesterday forced myself out in the sun to walk and walk and walk until I had had enough. The local park was busy and the lake frozen, but the cafe doing takeout hit drinks etc. The clever owner always has bits and bobs for sale and I bought some nice black woollen gloves with a white band and rose round the wrists. My mother’s ashes are there so I pay my respects at the same time. It’s not like an ordinary council park as it was once a paying ‘pleasure garden’ so has lots of character.
Then up and down the village. I ventured into an antique shop, not posh but not junk and with steamed specs, really enjoyed poking around, it felt more like normal life. I bought a dainty 30s style cake plate, the two tier style, v inexpensive and won’t it be nice to have friends in for a cuppa sometime?
Must keep these pretty independent shops going.
However, my back always seizes up after walking awhile, it’s a nuisance. Had it as a young woman too. I have a back support belt but forgot.
Looking forward to reading all today’s posts and thinking of anyone troubled.

farview Mon 04-Jan-21 12:03:10

Morning everyone..welcome Happyme..lovely name!
Snow still on the ground in my part of Bolton...
Very difficult to type as I've put a home made splint, lollipop stick..on my forefinger that I slashed open on a fence last week,..every time I bend my finger and its impossible not to..the wound keeps opening wider yuk.
Lots on here today with far greater worries and sadness...??to you all..keep safe everybody ?

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 12:02:47

Just in time to say Good Morning Mick and everyone.

The weather can't make its mind up here in S Wales, grey one moment, the sun looking as if it will break through the next.

I had started sorting out paperwork at the weekend but the big cleaning and sorting will have to start tomorrow after the decorations come down. Would it be unlucky to leave the outside lights on - they seem so cheery?

Oh, I forgot, we have a Tesco delivery this afternoon (any time between 2 and 10pm) so I must clear some space.
All this excitement is overwhelming.

We're hearing nothing about the vaccine in Wales so must be way down the list; at least we don't have to work so that is fair enough.

Have as good a day as possible, everyone.
Wondering about those who have troubles at the moment, stay safe and well.

By the time I typed this it is Afternoon

LauraNorder Mon 04-Jan-21 11:59:27

Good morning Mick and all from dry sunny Anglesey.
Hello Happyme.
Hope the anti biotics work quickly for your dh Gagagran.
Sorry for your dhs bad news Dwmxwg, very sad.
Good luck Urms, hope you get reassuring news to allay your anxiety.
Thanks for the sunshine share Grandmafrench, even if it’s chilly.
Longer days, more vaccines, hope.
Stay with it everyone, nearly there.

NannyJan53 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:54:49

Welcome Happpyme to this warm friendly thread.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:54:05

Morning all from a drizzly and fairly chilly South Notts. Have been getting a few jobs done in the housework department which is not really like me but needs must.
A bit of reading and knitting later. Very mundane, but I'm safe and well and that's what matters.
Hope today is kind especially to those with illness or worries.

Happyme Mon 04-Jan-21 11:45:04

Good morning.....just!!! First post on this thread though i do read it daily, usually in the evening so far too late to post. Sooo.....in keeping with the "rules"...I am in Cumbria, weather here this morning bright, sunny and cold with a distinctly chilly breeze, house value definitely priceless grin. Wanted to wave hello to jelisjams from the otherside of the bay

HAZBEEN Mon 04-Jan-21 11:44:13

I am late again! Good morning everyone.
I haven't read the thread yet so just a quick hello from me from a freezing cold Surrey but still no snow.
The courier has just been with one of those v shaped pilows I am going to try when lazing in bed! cant sit up with just the ordinary pillows behind me so I am trying this then I can stay put with my cup of tea longer!
Not a lot planned for today, as usual!
Stay safe all.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:08:56

Good morning. Minus three here in the north of Scotland and treacherous underfoot. I also have a new jigsaw to start. Chores done and settling down with my one cup of coffee I allow myself. Best wishes to all especially those of you doing lots of “looking after”. hope you all have something in the day to enjoy.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 11:03:26

Sorry to hear that, GrannySomerset. You’re probably already aware, but you don’t have to go to your nearest walk in centre, and can get reviews of them online. We use one that’s in a small town 45 minutes drive away, but that’s more than made up for by the fact that it’s wonderful, and we never have to wait.

Taichinan Mon 04-Jan-21 11:00:48

Good morning all. It's a grey showery nothing sort of day on the Angus coast. I feel a grey, nothing sort of person to go with it! Yesterday was a bit more lively as a friend popped round for a doorstep chat, which was lovely, and then I decided to top up the pond. Six hours later I realised it was still topping up overflowing, so I must just go down and see whether the fish made a break for freedom! Have as good a day as you can everyone, and I shall come back and read all the posts later. Stay safe and find your smiles.
???

GrannySomerset Mon 04-Jan-21 10:57:03

DH fell in the bedroom this morning and has taken the tissue-like skin off the back of one hand. Rang local surgery to see if I could get some dressings (he has done this before) but all their nurses are off with COVID so have to take him to the local walk in centre. Wish me luck!

Fortunately nothing planned for today so will have time to deal with getting blood out of the carpet. What a performance!