Gransnet forums

Chat

Why couldn’t he do that yesterday?

(158 Posts)
midgey Mon 04-Jan-21 20:21:47

Everyone knew there was a lockdown coming so why on earth did Boris not just crack on yesterday. Did he have to wait for Nicola?

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 20:23:40

Totally Agree. Just cruel. My DGD so excited to go back today now no more school.

lemsip Mon 04-Jan-21 20:25:31

at least it's done!!

MayBee70 Mon 04-Jan-21 21:29:50

None of our family met at Christmas. DD is furious that her youngest boy ended up going into school for one stupid day when we’d been saying for weeks that schools should remain closed. It was patently obvious.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Jan-21 21:34:45

I'm glad I put off buying yet another pair of shoes and topping up the uniform again! angry

I think boris is reacting to the fact that schools have been preparing to take action if forced to open.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 21:44:44

We bubble for childcare. Their school will decide tomorrow who needs to be on the list of children of key workers (our daughter as she will be in work teaching other key workers children). Their school had an inset day today. Surely be mid afternoon when the schools knew this was happening the list ought to have been ready? Nothing on their website tonight. I feel sorry for the parents with no back up who have to tell their employers.

Another fine mess Stanley.

vampirequeen Mon 04-Jan-21 21:50:04

He simply waits to see what others are doing and reacts accordingly. We need someone who listens to the scientists and acts. Not someone who blames everyone but himself. This time it was the fault of the naughty virus mutating just when we were beginning to win. We'll only win if we bite the bullet again but this time and in the future fund the NHS properly. After all didn't he promise £300+million a week to the NHS. Time to put his money (our money) where his mouth is.

winterwhite Mon 04-Jan-21 22:01:26

Also feel sorry for head teachers who have been tearing their hair out getting ready to embark on the mass testing malarkey from tomorrow. What a waste of their time, and on something that should never have been their responsibility in the first place.
And let’s hope the long-promised iPads / tablets for children with no tech at home really do materialise now.

Grannynannywanny Mon 04-Jan-21 22:01:34

Some schools made the decision for themselves today. My grandchildren are at school in Cumbria. It was an inset day for them today and parents were notified at midday that school would remain closed.

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:30:56

midgey - he's somehow made it look like he's been reluctantly forced into taking these drastic measures, all at the last minute.

Of course, anyone with a brain realised they were needed well before Christmas. We still await the death toll from those celebrations.

storynanny Mon 04-Jan-21 22:33:45

The schools didn’t know today! Don’t blame them please

GrannyRose15 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:40:26

I don't think anyone is blaming the schools this time. It is outrageous that this has been so last minute. My daughter will have two confused little boys to deal with in the morning who both had a lovely day at school today. It is just so insensitive of Boris and so unnecessary too - he's known for weeks this was a possibility. Why on earth did he let schools open today?

Juliet27 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:42:39

He simply waits to see what others are doing and reacts accordingly. Exactly. He said he knew Scotland agreed. Well yes, she'd already made the decision that he followed.

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 23:01:49

Urmstongran

We bubble for childcare. Their school will decide tomorrow who needs to be on the list of children of key workers (our daughter as she will be in work teaching other key workers children). Their school had an inset day today. Surely be mid afternoon when the schools knew this was happening the list ought to have been ready? Nothing on their website tonight. I feel sorry for the parents with no back up who have to tell their employers.

Another fine mess Stanley.

Cannot believe you are having a go at schools with all that they are trying to deal with. It’s not long since schools were threatened with legal action if they didn’t open. Come on,

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 23:02:43

Hear hear Grannyrose. Thoughtless.

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 23:03:19

If they weren’t sure, why not delay the opening ?

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 23:07:40

I’d have thought my grandchildren’s school would have had a list from the last lockdown and have asked parents for confirmation. The school had an inset day today.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 23:08:55

Yes, apologies.

I’m tired and should take myself off to bed instead of fault finding.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 23:09:17

I don’t usually carp about last minute decisions - we’re in a rapidly changing situation and the powers that be have to react accordingly. But letting so many children go back for one day was ridiculous. Apart from upsetting the children and causing all sorts of problems for staff, we’ll now have grandparents looking after DGS who may have been exposed to the virus today. Brilliant.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jan-21 23:14:44

Urmstongran - I am school governor. Let me assure you that we knew nothing at all in advance - certainly not in time to make proper preparations. The reason that the plans for the children of key workers are not in place is because we are waiting for the government's new rules about who this covers. It is likely not to be known till midnight.

The staff have been making preparations for the children's safe return to school today; and now they have to change all their plans and create an efficient home learning system in the blink of an eye.

It is utter madness that the government was reassuring everyone that school return was safe just a few days ago (did anyone really believe them?) and sent the children back for ONE DAY - time enough to exchange a few bugs, and then close the schools. It is total lunacy and we are being governed by a bunch of idiots. The children had been apart for over 2 weeks and it was a golden opportunity to maintain that distancing and help break the spread - but they sent them back for one day.........I am speechless; and furious.

I know what a strain this will place on school staff; and I know how difficult it has been to get children in the mood for school after the Christmas break and parents will have to now backtrack on all their encouragement to get the children back to school - my GC were a bit reluctant to go back, but came out all smiles after a great day at school and now are being told it is all off.

The actions of the government have been the height of irresponsibility and I am appalled.

And if I hear one more word against the teachers I will scream - I know what is going on from the inside and the toll on their health and well-being is enormous. And these are dedicated professionals who really care about their work and the children in their care.

Grumble about this situation by all means; but direct complaints to those who have bungled and mishandled their response to this pandemic from day one.

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 23:16:57

Schools were absolutely safe yesterday. That was what Johnson said to Marr. Emphatically.

Why aren't they safe today?

Or could it be that they weren't safe yesterday but the lies are automatic.

We don't have a leader. This is not just appalling, it's very frightening.

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 23:20:30

Excellent post, Luckygirl ???

Ashcombe Mon 04-Jan-21 23:21:43

It's complicated where the vulnerable and key workers' children are concerned. No personal experience but my DD2 is the DH in a large Primary School. Not all such pupils attend school every day in lockdown, especially where key worker parents work shifts. (eg NHS staff)
They have to liaise with the school over their shifts so that bubbles and teaching staff can be timetabled, leaving other staff to prepare and oversee online work for the larger number working at home. At least one member of staff per Key Stage should be available throughout the teaching day to deal with queries from pupils (probably online).
Where children do not have access to a printer at home, the school prepares work packs for the parents to collect. There is also admin connected with provision of free meals, including (last time) the school kitchen providing food which is delivered by senior staff, if parents can't (or fail to) collect.

MayBee70 Mon 04-Jan-21 23:36:03

Well said Luckygirl.

vegansrock Tue 05-Jan-21 03:46:52

Can’t believe some on here blame schools and teachers - it was this shambolic government lurching from one set of rules to another, despite all the red flags and warning bells that schools wouldn’t cope with rising levels of sickness plus being expected to do mass testing with no support. If this government really values schools, then teachers should be high on the list for the vaccine alongside other key workers.