Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas card disposal

(13 Posts)
infoman Wed 06-Jan-21 05:35:36

Normally the super markets have a very large box on a pallet inside their stores for disposal of Christmas.
Would any one know if the large supermarkets are doing the same this year, or will they have to go in with the paper recycling?

BlueBelle Wed 06-Jan-21 06:23:23

Last year there was only M and S in my area had a tub I doubt if there’s anything this year
Why not utilise them yourself make gift tags for next year or cut them for grandkids or friends or neighbours grandkids to make scrapbooks Although scrap books seem to have gone out of fashion, kids love making them

tanith Wed 06-Jan-21 07:37:11

Remember to take out any that have glitter or foil on them they’ll have to be binned as they can’t be recycled. Sadly I’m now not going to the supermarket so mine will go in my home recycle bin.

Froglady Wed 06-Jan-21 07:50:26

I've just put mine in the paper and cardboard recycling, after removing anything that wasn't paper or card.

ginny Wed 06-Jan-21 08:15:08

I will be using mine to make cards and tags for next year.
All the trimmings will go into the recycling.

lemongrove Wed 06-Jan-21 09:32:35

Same here ginny ?
It’s not penny pinching, I actively enjoy making gift tags from the pretty cards.

Witzend Wed 06-Jan-21 10:24:50

Bar any with glitter, ours will probably just go into the recycling this year. We still have lots of tags from previous years.

Though if I thought little Gdcs were going to be visiting any time before next Christmas ? I might well invest in a couple of scrap books (can you still find them?) safety scissors and pots of glue. I’m sure that would keep them happily occupied for an hour or so.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 06-Jan-21 10:27:24

I cut mine up and use for shopping lists, ah...... well of course when I was allowed to go shopping, happy days?

Jane43 Wed 06-Jan-21 10:32:36

I was searching for one of these card recycling boxes last year, they used to be everywhere. I asked somebody in Boots and she told me that because everyone has recycling facilities now the practice has been discontinued. My mother-in-law used to be in a club where they made gift tags from old cards so she always took ours. They used to cut them with piking scissors to make them look more attractive.

ixion Wed 06-Jan-21 10:40:54

Like my mum, I have always chosen the bright and cheerful cards and cut them up to make a mixed pile of mini jigsaws- the younger children are, the fewer pieces! Once done, you can throw them out (or use them for shopping lists?).
And I'm not even a war-baby!

Sarnia Wed 06-Jan-21 10:43:26

I make gift tags from the best ones. I give the front of the other cards to my daughter-in-law to use at her nursery.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 06-Jan-21 10:43:55

I make mine into gift tags and the backs are shopping lists, then recycling bin.

JackyB Wed 06-Jan-21 11:38:02

Once I have filled in my list of cards received, I tear them in half, shred the backs with the names on, and save the front half with the picture which is usually blank on the inside.

They then go in the drawer and are used up for shopping lists, bookmarks, reminders, or for the DGC to scribble on.