Gransnet forums

Chat

Holiday bookings....bargains and refunds.

(39 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 06:54:40

Sorry GN if this is classed as advertising. I don't mean it to be.

We were never fans of holiday camps because we don't like the idea of being crammed in with hundreds of other people and surrounded by caravans. However last year we discovered Haven special deals. We had 4 nights in Sept for £60. We couldn't have camped in a tent for that price. So we decided to forgo our view for convenience and a bargain. It's even cheaper this year.

Feeling the need to have something to look forward to we decided to book another holiday with them for 2021 so we booked 2 weeks in Norfolk for May. The cost was £350. Since we booked Haven have brought in a new system of charges. You can have Stay and Play which gives you access to the entertainment centre, pool etc. or just Stay which suits us much better. Stay is substantially cheaper than Stay and Play. So last night I checked the cost of our holiday if I were to book it now and found that we were paying far more. I rang them on the off chance and to my very pleasant surprise they changed my holiday to Stay and are refunding the extra cost. We thought we had a bargain at £350 for 2 weeks but now it's only £198. Way to go Haven!

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Jan-21 13:26:09

We’re booked with Sykes Cottages, Ginpin, and paid in full last February. Sykes got a bit of stick last Spring for not giving full refunds, but they offered us one. We chose to move the holiday on a year instead, never thinking “all this” wouldn’t be over by now. I think our best outcome would be to move it on again to Easter 2022 if possible, but if they can’t offer us a school holiday week we’ll just have to take the money. sad

yellowcanary Mon 11-Jan-21 13:32:29

I haven't used Haven, but we had a holiday booked with Hoseasons last November - paid the balance three weeks before we were going (as per their Covid regs), the following week Wales went into lockdown - email from Hoseasons saying as we were in a lockdown area the holiday was cancelled and we could either rebook or have a refund. The refund was in my bank about 3 days later. We have rebooked for same time this year so fingers and toes crossed. We had planned going on a cruise to celebrate our 60th's this year but that is down the drain for now.

Chewbacca Mon 11-Jan-21 13:47:17

Slightly different... I go 3 times a year to Portmeirion in North Wales and as we are checking out, we automatically rebook the next short break. I didn't even need to contact them about the last cancellation; they emailed me offering to reschedule or refund.

leeds22 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:58:29

We are booked to go to the Orkneys mid-June but not convinced we will have had both jabs by then (70-75 group). Of course, the islanders may not want us, I know I haven't been happy with the sloppy behaviour of tourists in my area in 2020.

Tweedle24 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:26:44

My sister organises us a trip to Egypt for Christmas and New Year, booking for the following year when we get back. We cancelled this year back in April with no problem, getting either our deposit back or, rebooking for this year. Optimistically, we might be OK for this December.

B9exchange Mon 11-Jan-21 14:57:01

Well if Matt Hancock says he has booked his summer holiday in Cornwall already, that should tell you something grin

vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 15:02:25

We went to Haven Blue Dolphin last September and have booked to go there again next September. We were in the cheapest caravan possible so didn't have a view but 2 minutes walk and we were on the cliff top Cleveland Way. Lovely 3 mile walk to Filey or a longer walk to Scarborough. Blue Dolphin is perfectly situated for Bridlington, Filey, Scarborough and Whitby. Also for going inland to Pickering and York. Pickering has the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (Harry Potter Hogsmead filmed at Goathland station. Goathland is also Heart Beat's Aidensfield). There's so much to do in the area and the scenery is stunning.

vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 15:04:08

If you go to that area try to visit Falling Foss near Whitby. It's a stunning waterfall with a lovely tea room.

glammanana Mon 11-Jan-21 15:17:49

I have rebooked my annual holiday to Majorca with my DD this year but honestly cannot see it happening it should have been May last year but we rebooked for June 2021 I can't see this happening at all.

vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 15:18:58

If it happens then great. If not well at least you had the pleasure of looking forward to it and you can always use the money to rebook again.

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Jan-21 15:30:27

Thank you for the recommendation, vampirequeen. That’s an area I know and love. I wish I could be there right now.

Chewbacca Mon 11-Jan-21 17:58:42

vampire have you visited Eden Camp near Scarborough? If you haven't, it's well worth a visit.

vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 19:12:56

We've been there a few times. It's a great day out.