Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you doing today?

(71 Posts)
Berylsgranny Mon 11-Jan-21 11:22:54

I was out at a B & M store this morning at 8 to collect a few craft materials for DGC to occupy themselves with. I've since had a tea and biscuit and looked for more Art and Craft materials online. DH has been up the attic and found a lot that we will def never use again and now sitting in garage where they will sit until we can dispose permanently of everything. It's only 11.20. I intend to make a nice curry in the slow cooker after lunch. I'm sure there must be more exciting things to do!

tanith Tue 12-Jan-21 12:00:45

I've stripped my bed got it washed took my car for a run around Ruislip, Denham then back up the A40 home just to the wheels turning. Had a good walk saw a couple of Red Kite soaring above me now I'm going have a bacon sandwich and read or do some cross stitch.

Georgesgran Tue 12-Jan-21 12:08:06

Groundhog Day here too! A bath, a tidy up, a wash, a walk - the excitement of it all! Can you send George over here Lucretzia when you’re finished with him, but he’ll have to wait until Brad Pitt’s finished doing my nails and the Geordie chef from The Ritz has made my lunch!

GillT57 Tue 12-Jan-21 12:23:13

Yup, Groundhog Day here too! Quick clear up of the kitchen, trying to ignore the floor which really needs a mop. Washing on. bit of jigsaw done. Sigh

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 12-Jan-21 13:20:35

I collected my little car from the garage after its MOT which thankfully it passed. The sun is shining after yesterdays rain and I suspect I should go out for a walk but I haven't the enthusiasm. I'll just sit about reading and knitting. I think we're all trying to stave off feeling a bit gloomy.

Mapleleaf Tue 12-Jan-21 13:24:36

Well, so far today, I've put some washing in the machine, taken some off the airer ready to be ironed, written two letters and been out to post them in the local letter box, watched the news and now contemplating what to have for my lunch. Such an exciting day! ?

NotTooOld Tue 12-Jan-21 15:00:49

More excitement here. Spent half an hour on social media before getting out of bed, showered and washed my (now very long as not cut for a whole year) hair, ten minutes of stretching exercises, spent an hour painting a bad picture, went for a walk in the sun, came home, had lunch with dh. Now we are both surfing the internet. Hey ho. Retirement was not meant to be like this.

grannylyn65 Tue 12-Jan-21 15:20:56

Watching Vera in Pjs

Georgesgran Tue 12-Jan-21 15:45:01

Like your style grannylyn65.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Jan-21 15:53:57

Same as many other days for some reason grin except instead of an early walk we have to decide whether it is too icy to risk it (don't want to appear in Casualty with a broken leg at the moment) or whether it is safe. Jigsaw is making progress. I have made very slight inroads into the overloaded filing cabinet and done the ironing which I've been putting off for days, but that's all that could remotely be described as useful.

nanna8 Fri 15-Jan-21 05:58:40

We went round a few antique shops, masked up of course, in a little town nearby and then into the op shop where the stuff was a quarter of the price and just as good so I bought a plant, some rhubarb from a local garden, a couple of books and a tapestry all for $10 which is about 5 or 6 pounds. Then we had a nice meal at a local restaurant because it is the end ,more or less, of the holiday period. Then I did a pile of ironing which I don't mind because I am one of those weirdos who actually likes ironing.

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-21 20:35:13

Today DH ventured out for the first time since his hospital discharge. He had an appointment for a blood test. It was so cold the 20 yard walk from car to surgery nearly rehospitalised him. He needed a wheel chair to get to the nurses room and back to the car

We were then due our covid vaccinations, we got to the centre, managed to sort parking and a wheelchair out, but when we mentioned that DH had been part of Oxford vaccine trials, there was the sound of sucked teeth as the doctor, and it was a doctor, consulted his notes, went to talk to someone else and then consulted a computer and then said he couldn't have the jab unless the Oxford team said it was OK. Anyway I had it.

When we got home he was knackered and went to bed.

The one thing I would say that the staff at the surgery and the vaccination centre were absolutely fantastic in their kindness and helpfulness, when DH and I realised he was not quite as well as we thought he was and going outside in the cold, even briefly is off the list of things he can manage at present..

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Jan-21 03:49:57

Very early days yet though Monica. Spring is on its way, so walking on warm balmy days to gain strength and stamina is a good aim.

This time next year you will look back and then realise how far DH has come.

CanadianGran Sat 16-Jan-21 04:12:28

Monica, I'm sure you mentioned on another thread, did your husband suffer an illness or accident? I'm glad he is up and about, but does sound taxing, mostly for him but of course for you as well. You can tell me to mind my own business if need be...

I'm at the end of my day here, at work. I work afternoon shift and when it is quiet I can log on here to catch up.

Horrified at the number of covid cases in the UK. Stay safe and well.

M0nica Sat 16-Jan-21 08:49:19

Yes, he is recovering from heart surgery and complications. At home we have an established routine, but yesterday the temperature (for southern England) was bitterly cold, around 0c and that knocked him for 6.

Still at least I have now had my COVID jab and so far have no side effects, not even a lump or sore spot on my arm.

Today is another cold miserable day, and I have decided to stay indoors, light the fire, and eat comfort food.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 09:25:24

Snow is starting to melt, it’s been beautiful here the last two days and I’ve enjoyed my walks. So today will be a slushy walk, reading, couple of crosswords, might tidy out another kitchen cupboard (oh joy unbounded). No bridge scheduled today. Hmm pretty boring !

Berylsgranny Sat 16-Jan-21 09:33:27

We have a raw dampness in our neck of the woods today. DH has decided to go under the floor where we have a slight problem with out Gas Central Heating but fixable by DH and while he is there he has decided to put some more insulation around the pipes. - joy! I know all this will help but at the moment, we have no heating (temporary for around 2 hours), no hot water and of course very little to do. No matter shall just get on and catch up with GN probably at least we have electricity. Enjoy whatever you end up doing. smile

tanith Sat 16-Jan-21 09:51:22

I went out to get the paper it was slushy and wet underfoot, pouring rain and cold. I’ve had breakfast and read the paper. Now I’ve got the radio on and am perusing on my iPad. I’m going to struggle today unless the sun comes out later and I can take a walk. I have a book on the go and some cross stitch but I’m defo going to be struggling.

Froglady Sat 16-Jan-21 09:56:25

Not a lot! I had 2 letters to write which I've already done.
I need to have a look at some photocopied short stories and sort out which ones to send out to the people who go to a short story reading group I run. I haven't seen the members since March and last year I realised that I could send the stories out to them rather than just holding onto them until we meet again and I can keep on the lookout for some more for them.
I was given 2 books of short stories for Christmas and I would like to read through them and find which ones are suitable for the group. They can't be too long as we need to be able to read them in an hour so that makes it a bit harder to find the stories. I love the group and really miss everybody.

Rosalyn69 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:10:38

Avoiding my husband who has suddenly decided we have to be in the same room together all the time and who wants to be informed if I trot off to do something elsewhere including visiting the loo.
Tiresome.

Soupy Sat 16-Jan-21 10:15:39

Today I have a Zoom music session after lunch, which I'm looking forward to.

Apart from that I will pop out to our local shop for a paper and do my knitting.

Riverwalk Sat 16-Jan-21 10:24:25

If I ever get my bum off this dining chair I'll do exciting things like empty the dishwasher (such a chore) have a bath and wash my hair, and maybe a little housework hmm, then lunch.

At 14.00 when the rain is forecast to ease a bit, an hour's walk with a friend.

Berylsgranny Sat 16-Jan-21 11:41:36

Rosalyn69

Avoiding my husband who has suddenly decided we have to be in the same room together all the time and who wants to be informed if I trot off to do something elsewhere including visiting the loo.
Tiresome.

smile wink

Eviebeanz Sat 16-Jan-21 11:45:24

It has been snowing this morning so haven't been shopping. Have someone coming to view my house after lunch ?

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 11:48:36

I'm hopefully going to put up some blinds in my bedroom.

The trouble is, it's very overlooked, so I'll need to make myself look a bit respectable as everyone will be able to see me once the nets are down.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:02:06

I need to get showered and dressed some time soon and after that absolutely nothing, nada, zero!!!!