Gransnet forums

Chat

Bad hair cut - so annoyed

(98 Posts)
Flakesdayout Tue 12-Jan-21 00:44:03

After taking some medication early last year which really thinned my hair it had started to thicken up and grow and I was really pleased with it. My OH asked if I would give him a hair cut with the new clippers we had bought and then he would trim mine. I did a really good job for him and then it was my turn. I had bought myself a gadget which clips onto the hair with a spirit level guide bar. You then cut the hair along the length of the guide. Last time it worked so well. This time I asked for him to take an inch and half off. He took off 4 inches didnt use the guide properly and it is now uneven, He now says it was because he did it wrong and forgot what he was doing. I am so annoyed, upset and angry at him. My hair is now too short (chin length) and I hate it. What can I do? I know we are in lockdown and I do not go out as shielding but that is not the point. Grrr.

Hetty58 Tue 12-Jan-21 12:24:54

Flakesdayout, very annoying for you - but really, under current circumstances, unimportant, can be ignored.

You don't go out, after all, so won't be feeling bad in public. It will soon grow again, just don't let him cut it, ever again!

Blossoming Tue 12-Jan-21 12:11:46

Flakesdayout sorry you were upset, I can imagine how disappointing that must have been. I hope to see you back here in a month’s time telling us how much it has grown and how much better it looks smile

Kate1949 Tue 12-Jan-21 12:10:07

Thank you NotSpaghetti. No my hair won't grow back. I have been without hair for over 11 years. I wear a hair system. I have gone on about it many times on here and Gransnetters have been very kind.
It has been difficult to say the least but just because I see my problem as worse than someone with a bad haircut, it is very unfair to dismiss them being upset.

icanhandthemback Tue 12-Jan-21 12:06:41

I always stand in front of the mirror with that little gadget, hold it in place and watch what my husband does whilst he is doing my hair. One of the things I have found is that if you snip upwards to the gadget, you don't get a rigid, straight line like you do when you cut along it. It makes a tremendous difference, hiding a multiple of sins. However, it takes a little longer so my DH will try to cheat if I don't watch him like a hawk. It sounds like your DH needs as much attention when he is doing your hair!
When I was cutting his hair once, I didn't realise the comb had fallen off the razor and I ran it up one side of his hair. It was on the second sweep, he spotted it and got me to check. He walked around with a stripe for several weeks and I am terrified he will get his own back one day. ? He was very good natured about it though.

Bazza Tue 12-Jan-21 12:02:23

He’s probably done you a favour as it will grow thicker and stronger! Cut him some slack (not a pun!) I’m sure he didn’t do it on purpose.

Nanna58 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:54:07

I wouldn’t let mine near my hair either! I know you must feel bad tho , and although some people are urging you to not take it so hard , as things are so grim maybe this is your ‘ last straw ‘. Keep conditioning it to make it as healthy as possible then soon as you can visit a hairdresser for some damage limitation.

Larsonsmum Tue 12-Jan-21 11:53:37

He is not a hairdresser - give him a break. Your hair will grow - many others don't have hair, and so many have passed away who would love to still be here - even with a poor haircut.

silverdragon Tue 12-Jan-21 11:49:06

It's just hair, it will grow again.

Thousands of people in this country have got far greater distress & sadness in their lives due to the pandemic.

NotSpaghetti Tue 12-Jan-21 11:48:12

Kate1949 I'm so sorry to hear of your hair loss. I know that in the scheme of things at the moment it's not the worst thing out there. You are very generous to the OP - and correct.

I don't know if yours will grow back or not. I do know someone whose hair did that but it seems to be a mixed bag.
None of us should really be worrying the minor things.
flowers

Theoddbird Tue 12-Jan-21 11:46:44

It will grow again...don't worry.

Badnan Tue 12-Jan-21 11:45:03

Do you think he might of done it on purpose? It will grow and it might benefit from a good cut, although not a good cut because you dont like it. If you think he is a vindictive person, I always believe in karma.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 12-Jan-21 11:43:37

Why are so many of you using clippers on your own hair? I thought they were for doing “short back and sides”
My hair is shoulder length with a fringe and I’ve managed to cut it myself by combing it all forward over my face and then using sharp scissors to trim the ends. This method does give a slightly layered effect around the face which I find flattering.
I cut my fringe in very small sections, just snipping the tiniest bit and then moving to the next section. This stops that ruler straight effect that is so awful, especially on an older face.
Anyway, Flakesdayout yours will soon grow but stay away from the clippers in future.

PJN1952 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:41:09

If I have a ‘bad hair day’ I wear a hat all day. My grandchildren (when I saw them before Covid) would know not to say much about Nana in a hat....they just smile and carry on!

Witzend Tue 12-Jan-21 11:26:32

Mine hasn’t been cut since just before the beginning of the first lockdown - way too long now. I should have got it cut once the hairdressers were open for a while, but procrastinated (as usual) besides thinking that other people’s need was greater, esp. a very elderly neighbour who was very distressed about not being able to have her usual weekly appt and her colour done.

I’ve been able to manage by twisting it up into a ‘claw’ thing, so it looks more or less presentable, though not the most flattering style at all.
Just as well I don’t much care and TBH I doubt my dh has even noticed. I used to say he wouldn’t notice if I went out topless with my nipples painted green, but that might be a slight exaggeration. ?

Grandyma Tue 12-Jan-21 11:24:58

I think this is what’s known as a first world problem ?

TrendyNannie6 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:24:28

Yes I’m sure you are annoyed, I doubt if he did it on purpose, if it was me I would think oh well if it had to go wrong at least it’s lockdown and won’t be going out much anyway also I’d think of the people with no hair that would love theirs to be chin length

Craftycat Tue 12-Jan-21 11:22:42

I do sympathise- it is awful when you don't like a hair cut & it seems to take so long to grow back.
I had the opposite situation. My ex Husband bought some new clippers & asked me to trim his hair. I had never used them before & managed to give him a reverse Mohican with a long bald patch right up the back of his head.
He wasn't amused- I wonder if that was the first stage in him becoming an 'ex' ( we are still friends!)

Alioop Tue 12-Jan-21 11:14:39

I won't let anyone but my hairdresser near me. At the end of 1st lockdown I was like Chubeka, it's even the same colour lol. I hung in in there, just snipping at my fringe every once and a while.

henetha Tue 12-Jan-21 11:11:56

I cut my hair yesterday, have been doing so for years.
Sometimes it looks alright but not this time... I look like I'm wearing a grey crash helmet.

Grannygrumps1 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:09:40

Where a hat.......

Sparklefizz Tue 12-Jan-21 11:07:33

My hair is an absolute mess and needs cutting badly as it's very fine and has gone hyper-fluffy on the ends.

I was thinking of asking if anyone had cut their own, and have already looked at a YouTube demo...... but on reflection, after reading through these posts, I'll put up with it looking the mess it is, rather than risk making it worse.

Chewbacca Tue 12-Jan-21 10:57:36

Cheer up OP; there's only a fortnight between a good and a bad hair cut.

PollyDolly Tue 12-Jan-21 10:53:35

Doodle

My DH has a hand tremor so he’ll not be cutting my hair or piercing my ears ?

??? Two jobs in one go! Serious multi-tasking!

BusterTank Tue 12-Jan-21 10:52:19

My husband did the same to me . The first time he done a lovely job . The second time he hacked at it and there wasn't I thing I could do with my hair . I too was very upset and had the raving hump . Every time I looked in the mirror I could of burst in to tears . In the end I told him to get the clippers and cut it straight round . I ended up looking light one of the merry men but it was better than before . I went from having shoulder length hair to being just below my ears . It has now grown and I can see the funny side .

JulieMM Tue 12-Jan-21 10:49:50

I think Santana’s message is really good advice. With more time on your hands now it would be fun to experiment with a new (and temporary!) look using accessories. In the last lockdown I ordered proper hairdressers’ scissors and scoured utube for ideas for cutting my own hair including putting a few layers in - and I did it! Even my hairdresser was impressed! Good luck - you can do it ❤️