Gransnet forums

Chat

what temperature do you keep your Living Area?

(41 Posts)
Franbern Tue 12-Jan-21 15:45:15

I dress quite warm in the winter. Using layers, including thermal vest. Not able to do very much, I do sit for long periods in my reclining armchair.

I keep a think throw nearby and put that over my legs and feel very comfortable. So, I do not have my central heating on much during the daytime.

However, my room thermometer often tells me it is 16 or 17 degrees at this time , and my daughter, in whose family bubble I am shouts at me that this is unsafe.

She insists that any living room I am in MUST have a minimum temperature of 18 degrees or higher. When I say I do not feel at all cold, she says that is beside the point.

If at any time I feel at all chilly, I just put on my heating, but do wonder the necessity of doing so if I am not feeling cold.

Fennel Tue 12-Jan-21 18:07:48

Very interesting thread - I find anything over 20 suffocating. So maybe husband is nearer the norm.
Maybe it depends on the climate where we grew up?

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-21 18:23:32

Wellbeck I do not want to be intrusive, but when I worked for Age Concern (as was) we often came across older people on very low incomes because they had capital in banks and building society that exceed the level they could have and claim benefits.

If you asked about these savings and suggested that if some of it was spent on making their home more comfortable they could possible double, even treble, their income by being in a position to claim Pension Credit, Council tax benefit, even Housing Benefit, they would often refuse, saying that these savings had been put aside for a rainy day. Suggesting that they were currently seeing out a monsoon, so perhaps the moment to use the rainy day money had arrived, would be rejected. So I would leave them living in dire poverty because of their decision not to touch their capital. A decision they had every right to make.

I will ask no intrusive questions, Wellbeck, but if you recognise the scenario, and you may well not, please think hard.

Attendance Allowance, a disability benefit is not income related, so if you think you may qualify, contact Age UK and they will guide you through completing the forms.

Jaxjacky Tue 12-Jan-21 18:41:33

Ours is set at 22, because I/We are home mostly now it’s on from 06:30 to bedtime, I have Raynauds and feel the cold. We are very fortunate and can afford the cost.

growstuff Tue 12-Jan-21 18:47:13

GillT57

Welbeck forgive me if I overstep, but if you are having to live on £10 a day, you may need a benefits check? You should be entitled to pension credit at least. That's if you are in the UK.

It depends whether she's a pensioner. That's what people of working age are expected to live on.

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-Jan-21 18:56:52

My heating is switched off at bedtime unless it may be frosty overnight and it is cheaper to keep the heating on low than pay an emergency plumber. (I am Scottish).

During the day it is on at 18C and occasionally I switch it to 20C. Every radiator upstairs is on at 3, whereas in my living room the heating engineer told me to put the two radiators on max and it has made a difference. Before I was permanently cold.

kircubbin2000 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:17:16

I have a chart from age uk which advises 18.5 minimum for elderly or body temp can drop dangerously even if you feel warm.

tidyskatemum Tue 12-Jan-21 21:37:58

DD in Thailand is complaining bitterly about the cold as it’s currently down to 12 or 13 c during the night - and they have no central heating or even carpets! Meanwhile we are smugly basking with a thermostat set at 20 from about 7am to 10pm

Marmight Tue 12-Jan-21 21:46:22

On at 7am. 15* most of the day when I’m moving around doing stuff. Up it to 20* once static, usually mid afternoon these days. Off at 10pm. I’m quite warm enough at night under a winter weight duvet and only have the heating on at night if it’s really cold, which doesn’t happen often now I live in the South!

welbeck Wed 13-Jan-21 01:28:15

thanks to those who have shown concern.
growstuff and monica are nearest the mark.
the thing about living on one's savings is that one doesn't know for how long or for what they might be needed. so eking out seems best policy.
i am not financially street-wise, and have missed out on things in the past, but it's no good looking back.
i follow the micawber principle.
anyway, i would give the same advice myself, but my situation is not amenable to improvement at the moment. and i am ok. enough to eat, warm enough.
thanks, and take care everyone.

CanadianGran Wed 13-Jan-21 05:27:52

It's funny, I remember a thread here about a month or so back about keeping windows open. There were 3 or 4 pages of replies with almost everyone having doors and windows open at all times! I don't think I replied to that thread but I remember thinking these posters are a tough bunch to be freezing all the time when heat is available at the flick of a switch!

We keep ours around 20c and turned down at night to 16 or 17. Mind you we live in one of the rainiest towns on the west coast, so really feel the damp if heat is lower.

nanna8 Wed 13-Jan-21 05:32:04

About 20C also- but more keeping cool for us. I think it is over 30C outside. Send some rain over, please!!

Arsenal67 Wed 13-Jan-21 06:19:45

18-19 but if the fire is lit it’s even toastier. Underfloor heating in kitchen is fab

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 07:22:30

welbeck Life on a small income can be so difficult, especially in the winter months. DD had to live without central heating one winter, no stove or open fire either. She swore by her electric blanket, each night she put it on for half an hour, got into a warm bed and her life was complete!

welbeck Thu 14-Jan-21 22:30:41

here's some more ideas for keeping warm
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/14/cold-as-ice-how-to-stay-warm-without-whacking-up-the-heating

welbeck Thu 14-Jan-21 22:35:03

i recently bought a cheap blanket for my legs when sitting downstairs, internetting, as now; it's made such a difference. i sit across a 2-seater, legs up, can just fit with back against arm rest, am short, with screen on knees.
thanks for concern, M.