Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you know English geography?

(103 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 12-Jan-21 16:30:41

voxpoliticalonline.com/2021/01/11/bbc-geography-fail-puts-bristol-and-birmingham-in-wales-and-if-you-think-thats-bad/

Apparently someone at the BBC has problems grin

MiniMoon Tue 12-Jan-21 22:14:19

I used to know all the county towns of England, but I'm not sure I could name them all now.
I had to laugh at that map though.

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 23:53:50

I shall go to sleep tonight trying to name them all, now minimoon.

welbeck Wed 13-Jan-21 00:12:07

my darling partner used to go to sleep naming all the states of america. i remember the dear privilege of first hearing the whispered, alabama, alaska, arizona...

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 00:23:09

That's far too difficult!

nanna8 Wed 13-Jan-21 08:22:58

I was on a ship with some Americans who asked me if Australia was next to Germany! I should have said, yes, they shortened it to Austria.

annodomini Wed 13-Jan-21 09:06:36

At school we used to have to fill in blank maps of the whole of the UK. My GC would be mystified. I'm disturbed to see that Liverpool has vanished. Perhaps it's now in mid-Atlantic.

Greyduster Wed 13-Jan-21 09:20:35

At school we learned early on where all the counties and their county towns were, could name all the major rivers and ports, where various industries were centred, mountain ranges and hills. I still have a geography textbook from my days at junior school. My GS is apparently good at geography at school but he hasn’t a clue where anywhere is if he hasn’t either been to a football match or had a holiday there!

Greyduster Wed 13-Jan-21 09:22:14

Callistemon there is a Wales in England - it’s just down the road from us in South Yorkshire!

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 10:07:06

The Australians are correct then! How come I never knew that hmm

Leah50 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:35:34

Got talking in Canada to a couple of Texans who were trying to remember the name of the 'pretty little place with hills & water' they saw on their visit to England the previous year. I suggested the Lake District, Peak district? No, (finger snap), it was Switzerland.

Alioop Wed 13-Jan-21 10:36:09

Rubbish. Remember at school when choosing subjects for exams I dropped geography for general science. Although the day they put a mouse in front of me to dissect I thought I was going to faint and wished I had kept geography.

Gramps47 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:40:40

So how, may I enquire, should one pronounce ‘coo-king apples’? ‘Cucking apples’?

Gramps47 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:43:10

- with reference to ‘Barth’

grannysyb Wed 13-Jan-21 10:44:45

Some while back a friend rang me and said that there was going to be a programme about York on the tv. As I used to live there I turned it on, only to be told by the (northern) presenter that York was on the coast! I hit the off button!

Tizliz Wed 13-Jan-21 10:45:04

Blinko

I can remember those jig saw puzzles made up of all the counties in England, showing the county towns too. Good for learning elementary geography. I've never forgotten it, even though some counties are now subsumed into others - Rutland and Huntingdonshire spring to mind.

Rutland was so small it kept on getting lost !

NiceasMice Wed 13-Jan-21 10:47:51

This thread is bringing back memories.
I also used to associate places with football teams, but this was through the weekly football pools my mum used to do. Although I had never been to Scotland I became familiar with those names too. Now I am wondering if Queen of the South is a place name or a football tea... I'm off to google right now.
The Summer was more tricky to learn with the Aussie team names.
On another note...
Anyone else need to see the map on paper to familiarise yourself with the geography of where you're going?
Something is missing with online maps because the map constantly turns itself around as you go forward.
It's like you are always going north.grin

jenni123 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:48:26

Originally raised in S London I say bath, rhymes with 'Darth (as in vader) or hearth as in fireplace.

busylizzy Wed 13-Jan-21 10:50:32

When we moved south from Scotland my then 9 year old daughter argued with her teacher who had said that London was the capital of the UK. My girl said no, that London was the capital of England, Edinburgh was the capital of Scotland. She survived.

readalot Wed 13-Jan-21 10:54:47

My geography is appalling. I also have no sense of direction. My DH is the opposite.

lizzypopbottle Wed 13-Jan-21 11:00:08

My Dad worked on the railways and we were always moving house. In chronological order, I've lived in the following places:
Liverpool (it was Lancashire then, not Merseyside)
London
Bury (Lancashire)
Romiley (Cheshire)
Sutton Coldfield (Warwickshire)
Great Crosby (back to Liverpool)
Cardiff (Glamorgan)
Derby (obvious!)
St Helens (Lancs)
Morpeth (Northumberland)
Whaley Bridge (Derbyshire)
Morpeth again.

I'd be ashamed if I couldn't place them on a map. I'm reasonably good at counties but, not surprisingly, better at the northern ones!

Quizzer Wed 13-Jan-21 11:01:52

As my name suggests I am a quiz addict. I can’t believe how ignorant TV quiz contestants, especially the celebrities, are of UK and world geography. Recently a celeb was asked to locate the Mona Lisa on a map said “it’s in Paris” and proceeded to put Paris in Scandinavia!
We are at serious risk of becoming like most Americans who have no knowledge of the outside world.

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 11:08:21

MiniMoon

I used to know all the county towns of England, but I'm not sure I could name them all now.
I had to laugh at that map though.

I thought my geography was reasonably good but I must have drifted off to sleep last night wondering which is the county town of Kent. Could I remember?
No, it's not Tunbridge Wells!

MrsPickle Wed 13-Jan-21 11:19:24

When I was teaching, one of the answers in a geography test said,

"The east coast is wetter than the west coast, because it's nearer the sea."

Just about sums it up.

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 11:21:00

???

maryelizabethsadler Wed 13-Jan-21 11:21:45

I failed GCE Geography many years ago, in spite of a very well-written account of the coastline of Switzerland!!! Could never understand why I didn't pass...