Gransnet forums

Chat

what time do you have your meals?

(129 Posts)
Franbern Tue 12-Jan-21 18:14:11

Okay, another thread to see if there is any interest. Anything which takes us away from The News at present!!!!

So, for those of you who are home, retired, when do you have your meals. Obviously, we are no longer governed by going to and getting home from work, and unlikely to have children around us.

Once I retired, I found that without the alarm clock my body-clock woke me around 8.00 am each morning. I get up and have my breakfast immediately, getting showered and dressed much later (between 9.00 and 10.00 am).

I then have a very early, light lunch, soon after midday.

Do have a hot drink (winter), cold one in summer, during the afternoon, but then have my main meal soon after 5 pm. I know this is very early, but I am a long-time ostomist and find that eating early helps me have less interruptions for loo visits during the night.

The only thing I have later is a Green Tea.

My children & g.children find my meal times quite difficult, as it does mean (when we are permitted) that it is difficult to arrange going to a restaurant. When we do, they always try to book the earliest possible sitting - usually around 6 pm. They are all very good about this, but I know find it mildly irritating, that I just will not eat later.

I was surprised today when I phoned someone at midday and they said they would phone me back as they were just having the lunch. Thought it was only me that ate that so early.

Just be interesting to know what other retired people do about mealtimes.

Kim19 Thu 14-Jan-21 21:00:59

F, I was regularly but gently brainwashed with this suggestion that bf is the most important meal of the day. Every time I tried it, I felt absolutely lousy. Another regularly expounded theory is 'listen to/know your body'. I'm pandering to that. Also, nowadays I don't tend to make it to the kitchen much before 1100 so it's all coming together nicely for me albeit by default.

Mrst1405 Thu 14-Jan-21 20:03:42

We retired very early and. Iive in Northern Spain . We got later over the years. Dh brings me tea in bed about 7 am then light breakfast about 9.30. Coffee about 11 then lunch about 1.15 for Bargin Hunt ( spanish time) . Tea about 7 ish which is ridiculous early by Spanish standards. Most resurants don't take bookings before 8 and 10pm is a normal for a family meal.....all this in normal times.

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jan-21 17:16:13

i before e except after c but only when the sound is ee

rowanflower0 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:09:48

Brekfast about 9,
Coffee about 11,
Lunch about 1,
Coffee about 4,
Dinner about 7, depending on what is on TV that I want to see!

Franbern Thu 14-Jan-21 10:03:04

Thanks for all the responses. Nice to know that I am not alone eating my main meal so early.
Must say I was surprised at those who say they do not have any specific meal times, just eat when they are hungry. I do find that my brain and stomach have set themselves for the times I do have my meals, so I do start to feel peckish just before those times.

For the persons who says they just eat when they are bored....Oh yes...this is something I can identify with - but really have to control that. I have a weight problem, and also rarely, if ever, feel really full-up. So, my timings and meals have to be prepared with that in mind. If I just ate because I fancied to do so, or felt bored, I would, extremely quickly, add on pounds and pounds.

The nurse at my GP practice has now told me to go onto a Low Carb diet, which I will find difficult as I do like bread and potatoes. Will have to see how it goes.

I am also surprised at how many people seem to skip breakfast. I have always understood that this is one of the main meals of the day, as your body has gone for many hours without nourishment whilst you are sleeping. When I worked, I used to start at 7.45 am, so would take brekkie with me and have that at about 9 ish, when I things usually calmed down a little. I do enjoy - in retirement - being able to have this meal as soon as I get up, in my dressing gown -and delay the wash and getting dressed until much later. Only once a week do I have to delay brekkie, and that is the day each week that I have to take one of my medications a good half an hour before eating or drinking anything.

Wonderful how different we all are.

PS totally of subject: anyone explain to me why the word weigh disobeys the rule of 'i before c except after c'?

GrauntyHelen Thu 14-Jan-21 00:51:17

I cannot imagine being regimented about meal times we eat whenever it suits us Evening meal somewhere between 7pm and 9pm Breakfast whenever we get up lunch may or may not happen A snack usually happens around 4pm

Naninka Wed 13-Jan-21 23:59:58

9 - egg on toast
12.30 - soup and a roll
4 - fruit and yogurt
6.30 - vegetarian meal
9 - handful of peanuts

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:55:43

Not everyone has routines and regular mealtimes, Franbern. I do tend to have breakfast as soon as I'm up, usually 5.30 or 6 am - then I just eat whenever I'm hungry - or bored1

fluttERBY123 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:37:47

I.usually finish a long breakfast reading the paper at about 11 these days. I get up about 8 but then go for a walk and meditate. Lunch will.be about 3 and dinner at 8. Tea and a biscuit at 6 to watch the news. Try not to have a pre-bed snack, don't always succeed.

Sawsage2 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:57:01

Breakfast around 11am. Afternoon tea 4. Evening meal 8ish.

glammagran Wed 13-Jan-21 19:18:51

Have a strong cup of coffee around 8am bought up to me ?
Rarely eat breakfast but if I do it will be about 10:30am.That would be Greek yogurt and fruit or a piece of toast and marmalade. Followed by more coffee. Husband always has eaten breakfast already.
Lunch at 12:30-1pm.Mostly just toast and peanut butter/poached egg/soup. Sometimes a bacon sandwich. And some fruit.
Mug of tea around 3pm with either 2 chocolates from a box or 1 biscuit. Never tempted to have more.
Dinner at 6-7pm. This is my hungriest time of the day and always has been. Rarely eat dessert. If we have cheese (especially Stilton or Epoisses) and crackers the green light goes on around 8:30pm.I’m terrible with cheese.
Ginger tea in bed at 10:30.

Soupy Wed 13-Jan-21 19:04:20

We have breakfast about 8.30am

Lunch 12.30pm

Dinner 6.30pm

Pre Covid this varied depending on what we were doing that day.

Grandmama Wed 13-Jan-21 18:28:16

I set the alarm for 6am, have a cup of tea, read for a while then very light breakfast between 7.30-8am. I call DH up about 10.15 if he hasn't woken, his bedtime medication makes him very sleepy. Dinner between about 12.30 and 1pm. Tea about 5pm of home-made fresh fruit salad, small sandwich for DH, a small piece of cake for me and sometimes for DH. An apple for me before bed.

CBBL Wed 13-Jan-21 17:17:15

Breakfast is around 8.00, depending upon any need for shopping. We get up at 6.00 when we have to go shopping, so we get to the store for 8.00am when it is quiet. I enjoy hot meals, and am trying to cut down on carbs such as bread and potatoes, so would usually have bacon, sausage or an omelette, with either tinned tomatoes or beans. Hubby prefers either toast or porridge.

Lunch is our main meal of the day, and could be either vegetarian or with meat (we eat both, but eat less red meat these days). We are both diabetic, and find this works better for us than eating a large meal later.

We have a light meal, sandwich or snack around 6.00 pm. We rarely have any visitors, and since our favourite cafe closed last year (run by two friends of ours) we no longer eat out, nor have we ever ordered takeaways.

Cambia Wed 13-Jan-21 16:31:36

Gosh we eat late! 7.30pm for dinner in the evening. When I was working with children at school, we didn’t get home until about 6.30 and I think the habit has just stuck. However hard I try and bring dinner forward, it is always 7.30 when I dish up! Good excuse for a glass of wine though.

I usually don’t eat until 12am as I do intermittent fasting and then a cup of tea at four and a piece of cake.

Thisismyname1953 Wed 13-Jan-21 15:44:17

My mother was normal before she remarried in her late sixties, having cups of tea whenever she fancied them through the day . After she married it all became rather strange . I often called in before or after my work depending on my shifts and she would always offer me a cup of tea but not have one herself. One day I called at 2.30 pm and her husband offered me a cup of tea, and then said to my mum ‘ do you want a coffee love , or will we wait till 3 o’clock as usual?’
I was astounded that people timed their drinks ! Apparently they also timed all their meals and snacks too .
I eat when I’m hungry with no timetable at all and I’m happy to go out for a meal as late as 8pm or 9pm if invited . I’m also surprised to find so many people with digestive problems that prevent them eating late .

Joesoap Wed 13-Jan-21 15:37:23

Husband on the 16:8 diet, but I get up about 9am have a little breakfast Toast and a Weetabix with a cup of tea.Light lunch around 1pm, a cup of tea and a little cake about 2:30pm, then regimentally we must have dinner at 5pm or the world will go under ( Husband has spoken) I prefer to eat later about 6pm but that would be eating on our own.
I was in the UK for a month between the lockdowns well in September/ October I was on my own in our house there, I had a wonderful routine, up at 9am and breakfast, then out to the shops, having lunch in a nice cafe, varied every day, home on the 3pm bus in time for "The Repair Shop" tea and a cake while watching, after a few programmes or when hungry, I had my main meal at 6pm or a little later,it was wonderful to eat when I wanted and when I was hungry.Must close its almost 5pm!

NannyC1 Wed 13-Jan-21 15:33:41

I eat whenever I m hungry. Actually I forgot to have dinner in the evening last night.

Greciangirl Wed 13-Jan-21 15:24:15

Breakfast between 9 and 10am. Nutribulit smoothie or porridge.

Lunch, usually a sandwich between 1 and 2pm.

Dinner between 6and 7pm.

Like to get it all done and dusted before Corrie comes on the telly at 7.30 pm.

Happysexagenarian Wed 13-Jan-21 14:54:23

Our mealtimes are very flexible and erratic depending on what we're doing, and usually governed by when DH gets hungry - he's the cook!
Tea in bed when we wake up usually about 8.30 - 9.00
Breakfast about 9.30 - 10.00
Coffee 11.30-ish
Light Lunch around 1.00 - 2pm
Cup of tea about 4.30-ish
Dinner anywhere between 6.00 and 7.30
Tea or Hot Chocolate about 9 - 10pm sometimes with a slice of cake.
Bedtime about Midnight but often much later.

I don't like regimented mealtimes, too organised for me, and reminds me of my childhood. Sometimes we skip breakfast if we get up late, or lunch. If I lived on my own I'd probably eat when I was hungry and live on raw foods and sandwiches!

Last night I couldn't get to sleep - too warm (went to bed at 12.30), so got up at 4am went down and made a cup of tea and read my book for a couple of hours. I was tempted to stay up, but went back to bed at 6.30 and slept through to 9am. Feel fresh as a daisy today.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 13-Jan-21 14:50:51

I have learned that I will not die without breakfast - I was brought up, as many of us were with breakfast lunch and tea.
I get up at varying times now depending on my bladder, which tends to be a bit later during these dark mornings but a good deal earlier in the summertime. No longer having to get up very early for work is blissful.
Therefore I delay breakfast (or brunch) as late as I can, maybe mid-day if I'm not too hungry and then another meal late afternoon or early evening. And that's my lot. Sometimes I'll eat my main meal first and have what would normally be considered breakfast for my tea. It has helped me to lose weight and to keep it off. I have only myself to please which is helpful.

Cabbie21 Wed 13-Jan-21 14:47:11

We each get our own breakfast and lunch. Muesli/ granola for me about 8-8.30, DH has 2 weetabix at 9am. Lunch between 12.15 and 1pm. Evening meal at 6 though can be a bit earlier or later.
Sunday is different as we have a roast at 1pm, and rolls at 7 ish.

Numerous cups of tea/ coffee in the day.
Snack eg fruit, nuts or two squares of dark chocolate around 9pm some days. DH often has a midnight feast of toast or cheese and biscuits.

BlueSapphire Wed 13-Jan-21 14:26:24

Still keep to the same times as when DH was alive.
Breakfast around 9ish.
Lunch between 1-2pm.
Dinner around 7pm.

Nan2six Wed 13-Jan-21 14:05:12

Maggiemaybe

Around 9, 1, 6.30, but they can all move up to an hour forward or back depending on what we’re doing.

I’m going back to intermittent fasting now to tackle the half a stone I’ve put on recently, so that’ll mean that on two days a week I’ll just be having the evening meal..

I find intermittent fasting the best way to lose and maintain weight. I lost over 2 stone 2 years ago and maintain it within 3/4lbs. So brunch around 11, something sweet around 3 with a cuppa, then dinner 6-7pm.

mimismo Wed 13-Jan-21 13:49:06

Breakfast from 8 to 9 am depending on how well we've slept. Lunch 2pm ish, light supper 8pm which is early for Spain.