Chat

Which high Street shops do you miss the most past /present

(185 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 12-Jan-21 20:45:55

I’m meaning before covid! I think mine will always be woolies, Bhs, C&A

Hildagard Wed 13-Jan-21 10:23:54

Definitely East, their clothes such good quality

stanlaw Wed 13-Jan-21 10:24:10

A bit weird but reading these posts I immediately remembered the unique smell of The Pier shops!

Teddy123 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:25:21

I loved the homewares in BHS. We also had an out of town BHS with only 'home' stuff. Nice coffee bar there too.

pen50 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:26

Another Laura Ashley Home mourner here. Also Richard Shops, Habitat, East, the Pier... Even <whispers> some of MFI.

Paperbackwriter Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:32

Strangely I don't miss any shops at all. But if I want something to wear I do miss being able to feel the fabrics. Buying online is one thing, but there is sometimes the disappointment that the fabric is a long way from how you imagined it would be. Those disappointments get sent back immediately.
Actually - come to think of it, I do miss being able to go to Designers Guild on the kings Road. I love it in there.

aonk Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:53

I’m showing my age here maybe but I loved the old fashioned department stores. I used to visit my grandmother and she took me to Bobbys in Folkestone for tea. There was a pianist playing a grand piano and she once arranged for him to play happy birthday for me! I also loved the stores in Oxford Street and Regent Street and nearby. DH Evans, Marshall and Snelgrove, Debenham and Freebody and Dickins and Jones. There were many more. I was a student in London and didn’t have much money but I so loved wandering around these beautiful shops.

Annma Wed 13-Jan-21 10:27:59

Going way back in time Chelsea Girl was a great teen fashion shop. Timothy Whites ,Richards Shop, C and A,East, Habitat,there are so many stores that are no longer with us.

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jan-21 10:28:14

House of Fraser for practical shopping reasons in my current town.
Kendals (Kendal Milne in Manchester) from my early days. I know it's still there but it's definitely not the same.
Biba from my youth..
Lidl since spring last year. Wish they did deliveries!

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jan-21 10:29:09

Oooh yes... Marshall and Snelgrove and Chelsea Girl...

jaylucy Wed 13-Jan-21 10:29:20

Woolies, Littlewoods, BHS (their bras were often better than M&S especially if you stocked up in the sale) we have no M&S in our town centre,so that has to be added, Mothercare any shoe shops like Dolcis, Freeman,Hardy and Willis, Brentford Linen ( used to be great to just walk in to a shop to get just one type of thing rather than having to wander aimlessly round a multi section store that has a small range of expensive items.
Although I do shop online, as far as clothes are concerned, I like to be able to pick up , feel and see the quality as well as the sizing. I have a wardrobe full of clothes that have been bought online not been happy with and not bothered to return! Same with shoes !

NannyDaft Wed 13-Jan-21 10:29:27

BHS before Covid !

timetogo2016 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:29:38

Woolies and BHS for food.

dracool Wed 13-Jan-21 10:29:43

c&a still open in parts of spain.still good quality too

Janeea Wed 13-Jan-21 10:30:54

C & A in Germany too

Frankie51 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:32:30

I'm going to miss Debenhams. I loved their Mantaray range and Red Herring.

Lizzle10 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:34:33

I really miss woollies remember as a kid spending ages wandering round with my mum. They had a miner bird in a cage which swore at everyone which made it more fun ! And even when my kids were little I loved the ladybird clothes . I don’t think Poundland or anything else could replace Woollies.

Mumskimumski Wed 13-Jan-21 10:35:24

Shopping in Richards andC and A buying a dress then out that night wearing it!Fab Days!

annab275 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:37:11

if we are going back decades then I miss Biba, and Bus Stop. Now I usually buy clothes from Peacocks and EWM. Looks like they will be going soon.

mar76 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:37:36

Laura Ashley. Its rumoured is opening again in Next store, Metrocentre, Gateshead.

littleflo Wed 13-Jan-21 10:37:36

M&S for food. Although they are still open, they are a bus ride away.

crazyH Wed 13-Jan-21 10:39:16

BHS

Jang Wed 13-Jan-21 10:41:20

Oh yes pretty much all the above specially miss BHS they sold brilliant swimming costumes that just fitted my size and shape! Woolies C&A, Principles and will miss Debenhams when it goes!

Diggingdoris Wed 13-Jan-21 10:42:19

C and A was my fave, long gone in my town. Though I did have a spending spree in their branch in Bruges while on holiday some years ago. Richards was my go to shop for something special. I agree with you all about the lack of shoe shops nowadays.

Daffydilly Wed 13-Jan-21 10:42:29

I miss Faith. I'm a heels girl and spent so much in there that the manager used to give me her staff discount. I think they have an online presence but it's not the same as going in and trying on.

Lexisgranny Wed 13-Jan-21 10:43:10

Any shop where you could sit down and an assistant would listen to your needs and bring clothes for you to look at whilst you sat in comfortable chairs. There’s a blast from the past!

I admit to hours of boredom shopping this way with my mother when I was young, but would really appreciate it now. (The extremely smart ladies bringing the clothes never asked your size, but assessed it. They were seldom wrong, but if anything needed a slight adjustment, a dressmaker immediately appeared to attend to it)

I admit that this still happens in some high end shops, and others have personal shoppers, but this seemed to be quite normal even in small town shops in the distant past.