Gransnet forums

Chat

A little worried

(27 Posts)
Berylsgranny Wed 13-Jan-21 10:07:46

My little DGS of 4 has yet to stop wearing a nappy pant at night in bed. I'm a little worried about this as I think he ought to be fully nappy/bed trained by now. However I maybe worried about nothing. I don't want to raise this concern with my DD as she thinks it's perfectly acceptable - any advice/assurance would be appreciated.

kircubbin2000 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:13:16

There doesn't seem to be the same urgency to toilet train children now. When I left my daughter for a weekend ,aged 1, she came back from granny with a new outfit, hairdo and knickers!
One son trained by 2 other took longer 3 plus.
Daughter only began to think of training when son was nearly 3, still in night pants and brother 4 recently out of nappies but in pants at night too.No one is worried.

BlueSky Wed 13-Jan-21 18:07:48

Things change, our mums were very proud to have us dry before all the other kids on the street, ourselves we were a bit more relaxed by the time we had our own children and now, well there is no right time really!

M0nica Wed 13-Jan-21 17:28:21

Witzend your DD sounds like my sister, that is what happened with her.

Witzend Wed 13-Jan-21 17:05:18

My Gds is 4 1/2 and still wears nappy pants at night. Far better than having wet beds. I’m sure he’ll grow out of it soon enough. My dd doesn’t make a thing of it.

One of my dds was an extremely sound sleeper. Until she was about six we had to lift her and put her on the loo before we went to bed, otherwise there would be an accident. She would perform without even waking up.

AGAA4 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:01:05

Don't worry. This is normal. I have GCs and 4 are boys. They were all dry at different ages from 3 to 6 the boys being later than the girls.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Jan-21 16:59:07

He won’t be wearing nappies at 20 so just relax?

2420mags Wed 13-Jan-21 16:58:51

Go to ERIC website. Continence is partly maturity, partly genetic and a little bit of whether it bothers the child. If they have had good disposable nappies then they don't really know what a wet bum is. l used to put a wodge of paper towel in my son's nappy ( 1990ish ) so he would feel wet and make the connection. Then they have to learn to recognise the neuro signals and learn to wait until they get to the right place. He was more or less dry day and night at the same time about 5. However if he was on the beach / garden/ engrossed he could not give a fig! My mother kept on and on about it despite me being a midwife and health visitor and such stuff was my bread and butter. Don't make a problem where non exists. However if they were reliably dry and are now wetting that is a very different matter

Luckygirl Wed 13-Jan-21 16:55:33

Not a problem ..........zip the lip! grin

GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 16:55:24

My DGS is nearly 3 and has been having potty training for about 6 months now. He is OK about half the time. After my daughter, who was dry daytime at 1 and through the night at 2, it has come as a real shock.

I know boys can be later, but it isn't a physical thing. He is quite capable of doing it. I think it is just laziness (or bloody mindedness, he can be a little monster).

EllanVannin Wed 13-Jan-21 16:52:04

Nothing wrong in wearing night pants.

Berylsgranny Wed 13-Jan-21 16:39:48

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and understanding. I do appreciate it. I won't give it a second thought now.

M0nica Wed 13-Jan-21 10:49:42

My sister, and this is in the 1950s, was unreliable at night until she was 7. It happens with some children

As Dr Spock said on this subject (if I remember rightly). You do not see 13 year olds in nappies. In other words, he will get there, eventually, in his own time.

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jan-21 10:43:57

10% of 5 year olds are not dry at night and 5% of 10 year olds. Boys are slower than girls. Definitely in normal range. Say nothing!

silverlining48 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:37:18

It’s very different to when ours were small and we used towelling nappies. They were dry much much earlier.
I posted on here on the same subject when my gd was 4. Daughter didn’t seem bothered and by the time she was 6 all was fine. Don’t worry and best not to say anything either.

littleflo Wed 13-Jan-21 10:35:12

Bladder control in children is better understood now than when our children were young. For some, the hormones for control are released at a later age than others.

My eldest was not dry until he was 7. The same for three of my grandchildren.

Your DD is right when she says this is within the norms. I stopped my children staying overnight with either of their Grandmas, simply because they tried to make an issue of it. You are doing absolutely the right thing by not commenting .

felice Wed 13-Jan-21 10:31:19

Sorry DGS not DGD.

felice Wed 13-Jan-21 10:30:08

DGS still has little 'accidents' some nights, he is 8, down here he wore night pants for a while and we have pads on the beds just in case.
I had Enuriasis? as a child so did DS1 and DD we do not make a fuss as most children grow out of it.
It does not seem to matter how much liquid is taken before bed, but I have noticed that if he is over-tired or over-excited at bed time there is more likelihood of an accident.
We do get DGS up to pee when we go to bed and that does seem to help, easier with a boy than a girl.
Do not worry about it the more your DGD knows you are stressing the more nervous she will be about going to sleep at night.

Peasblossom Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:04

Did you just have a daughter? Boys are generally a lot later in this regard than girls.

And as MrsEggy says he may be a sound sleeper. Who wouldn’t want that??

lemongrove Wed 13-Jan-21 10:25:38

Boys seem slower than girls.Our own son was at least 5 before he was dry at night.Nothing to worry about at all.?

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:21:35

My gs is 7, but has Down Syndrome, he still wears pants in bed

MrsEggy Wed 13-Jan-21 10:21:14

My son was not dry at night until he was 6, no problems later. I don't think training has anything to do with it, rather maturity of bladder and depth of sleep. I roused him at 10 and took him to the loo, but he never seemed to wake properly and I think that did more harm than good.

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 10:19:32

Also I’m not sure how you would go about making him dry at night ?

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 10:18:21

Good heavens. 4 is nothing. Two of my DGS were about 6! They’re fine now. DGD was 5.

cornishpatsy Wed 13-Jan-21 10:14:39

The reason there are the night time products are that it is so common.

She will grow out of this,I would not make an issue of it.

Calendargirl Wed 13-Jan-21 10:14:00

I think you’ll find the advice you will receive from GN members is keep quiet about your concerns, don’t bring it up, he will eventually be dry.

I know, not the way we thought back in the day, but times change.