Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, I didn't know this, and it may be useful to others!

(87 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 13-Jan-21 13:43:42

Like many, I have been severely curtailing my trips outside the house, and apart from daily exercise with the dog, and my food click and collect we don't go to any shops at all. Problem arose when I had a small gift to post and didn't wish to queue in local Post Office. Went online and found that I could weigh the parcel, pay postage and print label, all ready to just pop in the box. It could be that you all know, but in case it is a pleasant surprise as it was for me, I thought I would share!

minxie Thu 14-Jan-21 15:29:40

Wow l did not know that and as I sell Make up on line that will be so helpful. That’s a huge bonus thanks

BoBo53 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:43:20

Great idea and thanks for the information! The irony is that I have to parcel up some ink cartridges to return for a refund but will have to wait to click and collect my new printer to print a label to return them or else queue at the post office.

lizzypopbottle Thu 14-Jan-21 18:26:12

I had certainly heard of it and tried again and again to do it early last December. I got as far as 'print your label' each time and when I entered my postcode I was returned to the start. In the end, I phoned Royal Mail and, after being on hold for ages, I spoke to a guy who professed to have no idea what I was talking about but offered to connect me to someone who could help. Click.....boooooooooooop.... I sent my parcel by DPD. Sorted.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:35:50

DD had 2 large envelopes collected this morning by our lovely Postlady at 11.30 cost was 70p per envelope, I left them on the doorstep.

Kim19 Thu 14-Jan-21 20:28:40

This helpful info had really got me enthused. Can someone set up a thread, please, where we all pool our 'how have I lived this long and didn't know that' simple tips for life in general.

Sooze58 Fri 15-Jan-21 00:01:32

You can also book a collection from your house for a small fee!

BlueSapphire Fri 15-Jan-21 16:22:58

I did this at Christmas when I had cards to send to Australia and didn't want to go into the Post Office.

GrannyBettie Sat 16-Jan-21 12:22:09

Kate 1949 - Thank you. Sorry I must have missed that bit in your earlier post. I know I have been given the option to buy postage via Amazon (when you sell things on Amazon) but wasn't sure about proof. I will take a look at Post Office site.

Smurf44 Thu 21-Jan-21 23:18:27

I always thought that stamps had to be sold at a particular price set by the Post Office. Currently 66p for second class and 85p ? for first class. Last week I noticed an advert for buying stamps at Amazon and was horrified to find they are selling them at greatly enhanced prices! EG £11.49 for 12 x 2nd class stamps = almost 96p per stamp and £12.49 for 12 x 1st class = £1.04 per stamp. So be careful where you buy your stamps! BTW, Is this really legal?

FarNorth Fri 22-Jan-21 06:09:54

shock smurf44 I just looked and there are lots of offers of stamps at these kind of prices on Amazon.
I guess it's a 'buyer beware' situation.

FarNorth Fri 22-Jan-21 06:20:53

I found this info -
If a retailer buys stamps direct from Royal Mail, they should resell them at the correct price.
If they buy them somewhere else, they can resell for whatever price they want.
Of course no-one is checking where anyone got their stamps.

becleverwithyourcash.com/corner-shop-stamp-rip-off/