Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Thu 14-Jan-21 06:15:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and its wet outside here in Brackley this morning .
Reading some of the responses as to Parsley Box meals , I have enjoyed them as you have no need to freeze or fridge as you would with supermarket ones.
With the vacuum packing , a double seal , pierce as you would to put in a microwave, less time as per voltage of microwave say a 900w is maybe just over a minute but less than 2.
My other encounter yesterday , was with my computer , I had at the weekend did a disk clean up , and some of the websites I use slowed down or refused open , so I did a system restore , in the end it went into an area on Windows 10 as options as to recovery going into advance options once I had done my ID did a system restore and recovered those files , so I go onto the websites without any hitch at all.
Take Care,
Mick

Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 16:42:26

He probably has a large excess to keep his insurance down and being young, claiming on his insurance would make it jump considerably. At least he is paying up!

Scentia Thu 14-Jan-21 15:31:00

Georgesgran his car is taxed so must be insured as well, it is a brand new BMW very flash and yes he is only about 25. He could have a massive excess I suppose!

Georgesgran Thu 14-Jan-21 14:32:47

Pleased you’ve got your car sorted Scentia. My interest is why he would chose to pay the neck end of £3k rather than have you contact his insurance? It may be he’s 21, driving a Ferrari and already on 11 points, but sounds as if he might not be insured at all? Did he only own up because he’s a neighbour? Do you have a ‘duty’ to ask the Police to run his number through the PNC?

Sorry if I sound OTT, but uninsured drivers are one of my pet hates. Glad you’re sorted though.

LadyO Thu 14-Jan-21 14:17:26

harrigran

Good morning from a snowy NE.
DH gets his vaccination this afternoon.
Yesterday was filled with little jobs, DH renewed the thingies in the kitchen taps and stopped the drip.
I am getting to grips with my new tablet but it is almost the size of my laptop, way too big for sitting in bed with.
Keep warm and stay safe.

harrigran May I recommend the JML PILLOPAD... Takes all the weight of the iPad at a choice of 3 angles, ideal if reading in bed. Also good for supporting hardback books, my arthritic thumbs appreciate the help!

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 12:36:08

Yorkshire Lass has just sent me a text - heavy snow, no gritters been out on A roads near here and 5 minutes from her house there’s a 6 car pile up, cars all slid into one another. No injuries it seems but what an awful start to the day for those people.

Scentia Thu 14-Jan-21 12:30:48

Afternoon, just popped back to tell you something. Remember the young lad who ran into my car on the driveway, well I just had a call from our local garage to say bring my car in Monday as the lad has been down and pre paid the invoice of £2800 I am actually gobsmacked as I was expecting to have to go to my Insurance. He obviously decided against getting his 'Mate' to sort it out!!!!
I have loved reading all the posters who follow me, and so many of you are getting on with stuff and the vaccine seems to be moving along nicely. I think I will look at holidays for the end if the summer if this carries on!!

Borrheid55 Thu 14-Jan-21 12:29:05

Marydoll ?

Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 12:19:04

Borrheid, the priest you mentioned was a friend of the one I mentioned and in the same home.
It's quite sad to see them failing. The Archbishop had Covid, so much sad news this week.

I watched the same TV programme about the train journey.
So you see, after all these years we are still sympatico. wink

Borrheid55 Thu 14-Jan-21 12:10:09

Morning - just - from very wet Kent. It has rained virtually non stop all night. I have a Velux window directly above our bed so can hear the pitter patter. As there is nowhere else our super king size will fit, I sleep under the window.
Marydoll sounds as though you had a great time with DGD. Just hope you are not suffering today as a consequence. Re old priests - my mother and I visited Canon B O’K a couple of years ago in the care home run by the nuns. He was a favourite from childhood. Sad to hear about the Archbishop yesterday.
Got word from (in-law) family in Wales that two of them have Covid. We were supposed to spend Christmas with them but decided that travelling for the one day we were allowed was too much. I’ve since heard about all the comings and goings of the family and I’m not convinced they were following the rules stringently. Hopefully they will now. My SIL was one of the last children in Wales to get polio and now has post polio syndrome, she really cannot take chances.
Watched a lovely programme last night about Scenic train trips. This one was Glasgow to Mallaig. I’ve done parts of the route several times, it is spectacular. What I hadn’t anticipated was seeing a friend from the Highlands fishing on one of the many glacial lochs. Lovely to see his smiley face.
Hope all in the sick ward feel better soon!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 14-Jan-21 12:01:12

Oh, Well Just been phoned by Sainsburies deliveries - he's still up a hill and there will be no deliveries today!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:48:44

A late morning all from a very wet South Notts. The rain must have battered it down last night as the drains by the roadside are overflowing. There's the odd flurry of snow and I keep telling it to go away. Not wanted.

There seems to be a feeling of resignation this morning which is hardly surprising. The dark, the wet and the worry due to this damn virus all added together can be dispiriting, can't it?

I'm just trying to keep busy and productive to take my mind off it. I finished the knee-high socks which I was knitting and just need to add some shirring elastic to the tops to prevent them cascading around my ankles. Hope all is as reasonably well as can be expected under the circumstances, especially for those with illness or worries.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 11:19:31

Good morning Mick and everyone from a dark and damp S Wales. I'm forgetting what blue skies look like and as for spotting planets in alignment or other astronomical excitements - no chance round here!

The highlight of the day so far was the Waitrose delivery, at least there is food and wine. The Parsley boxes sound interesting, Mick, and you're very brave to attempt a system restore!

Marydoll how lovely to have an hour with your DGD, have fun (you may learn a few things too). I do know how to split the screen but would have to Zoom again before I could explain it so I hope you sorted it.

We just heard that a friend has Covid, he is over 80 and a widower, so lives alone, but apparently he is not too ill, so ? he recovers without having to go to hospital.

I think it's a day for 'phone a friend' or two, just to see how friends are faring at the moment.
I wish we knew how gillybob is too.

Have a good day everyone

EllanVannin Thu 14-Jan-21 11:16:46

Well that's the last time I'll be moaning ! Just reading an article in my local paper about a 106 year old gorgeous woman who'd marked her Birthday by " seeing off Covid " grin What a marvellous person she is and looks so well too.
That's made my day. Well done to Polly. She'd said that " nothing can hold her back ". How wonderful is that ?

amselerin Thu 14-Jan-21 11:15:56

Good morning all from a slightly white Lüneburg. Yesterday I took my dog for a lovely walk along the river in brilliant sunshine. Later it snowed for a little while. The best happened for me in the afternoon. I managed to watch on iplayer The Serpent. I enjoyed it sooo much, that I watched it non stop for 4 hours. As I don`t have the opportunity to speak or hear a lot of english here, I like to watch British TV. I do speak only English to my granddaughter who lives in Hamburg, though. This relects very positively in her examens.
I read your messages every day, but not enough is happening here for me to write every day. Your descriptions of your day bring a little bit of England to me.

Take care and stay well.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 10:59:33

I like the idea of your fast slow cooker today BlueSapphire!
?

Hello to you chiggi200 irs always lovely to welcome newbies to Mick’s thread. Now you’ve joined our pal group you’ll not be needing that SAD lamp much longer! It’s the best start to anyone’s day on here. Don’t forget to tell us the value of your ? as we like to know important stuff like that.
?

GrannyOwl5 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:58:33

Morning everyone from north Kent where it is raining - here all day apparently. Good for the garden ?.

Great to read that so many are getting their jabs; DH is in the group before me, but we haven’t heard anything yet.

I have done my daily indoor walk and am half way across the channel on my virtual walking challenge. Will do a bit more of the jigsaw and slap a bit of paint on my current masterpiece.

Hope you all have a good day. Stay safe

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:54:23

Good Morning all from Snowy Harrogate - this time it is wet snow whereas last week it was dry snow.
I'd forgotten about System restore Mick used to use it a lot when I had PC. Apple doesn't have such a thing, will have to try to remember how to do it for DH's PC which I ended up trying to sort yesterday. Solved his problem but not permanently. We hve help a phone call away but he doesn't like doing it because he thinks he looks foolish, he doesn't mind me looking foolish!! It's getting easier to get him to contact them!
You sound quite bright today Marydoll don't do too much, I know it's difficult.

Take Care everyone see you tomorrow?

BlueSapphire Thu 14-Jan-21 10:52:49

A late good morning from Northampton, and a very wet one too. Forecast to turn to snow later on. I slept in this morning and have just remembered I had planned to put a hotpot in the slow cooker, so I had better get my skates on! One of the cats has just been sitting on my knee, and I took the opportunity to clip her claws on one paw while she wasn't looking! I have to be quick though, as she hates it.

Nothing else planned for today, definitely not a day for going out anywhere, so will turn the heating up and get my latest Agatha Christie.

Just going to pop back now and read everyone's posts. Hope the day goes as well as can be for all.

Grammaretto Thu 14-Jan-21 10:48:30

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where we had a lot of snow in the night.

Main worry today is how to get MiL to her vaccine appt through the snow (with masks and distancing of course!)

I love your posts Marydoll Light relief.

Best wishes to everyone and hugs for those who need them today.

Happyme Thu 14-Jan-21 10:45:29

Morning from a grey and misty Cumbria. Snow is falling here but wet underfoot so only lying on the grass. Disappointed as I love snow, it makes everything look so pretty and magical. Yes, even when working and facing long journeys to work with the threat of being stranded en route! I would load the car with warm gear, walking boots and flask just in case and set off with feelings of intrepedation and excitement. Never did get completely stuck though I did have a 50 mile detour once and it often took hours to get home. Poor son once had to abandon his car and walk 15 miles home. Now I have the luxury of sitting snugly at home and admiring it.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:45:17

Good morning from snowy Scotland. It all looks beautiful. I was mystified as to why the tiny birds hadn’t eaten the seeds until my neighbour pointed out that they were frozen. Indeed there had been a slight thaw and they are still frozen into a lump like concrete. I now put the food out on a warm plate, just a little at a time. Minus 6 doesn’t work too well for bird food. The crows however gorge the lot, frozen or otherwise,
I do worry about my adult son going to work but have to put it to one side as his job is vital. He uses what’s app a lot and I send him photos of the snow. I do wonder when we’ll be able to meet next.
The snowplough is going up and down every hour, driven by a chap who waves and smiles. I think he adores driving his big yellow truck. If you are little he gives a little toot as well as a wave. As so many of you say, the small things make a difference.
gilly ?
I’m delighted to hear how many of you and your family are getting the vaccination.
As always keep on keeping on.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 10:45:10

I shall be joining the Gransnet ironing group I think

I won’t.
?

Marydoll Thu 14-Jan-21 10:41:20

Kate54, I do know about Teams, but that would need daddie's laptop and he is using it, when we are Zooming, so she is on a tablet.

As for an hour being too long, like any good teacher we have breaks, some instituted by Dollie, some by me.

DS was mortified yesterday, while on a video call, all he could hear was a toilet flushing and a wee voice shouting, Gran, did you hear me doing a pee pee? blush

EllanVannin Thu 14-Jan-21 10:39:19

Good Morning All x.
Wet, wet,wet. I'll break out into song in a minute. What a dark dismal day ! Still, I won't be going anywhere and there's nobody out that matters so far as I can see.

I can't envisage being up to anything productive today apart from doing a leek and potato soup for later. Caught up with a couple of emails yesterday so they're out of the way. Then I was scanning through the selections of flowers to send to Oz for my D who'll be 60 soon, so many to choose from.

Just received D's beautiful cards which I'd ordered from Ebay, one from myself and the other from her two sisters here, so they'll have to be sent next week to get there in time.
I do so miss the post office here as I also have another card for GD's Birthday in Oz.

I'm not managing this staying at home at all and feel like throwing the towel in at times or worse, throwing caution to the wind and getting on with things as it's difficult when your " bubble "is tied-up too. I'm frustrated at not being able to do the normal things which keep me on top of certain tasks.

A good old grouse does you good. grin I suppose we're all entitled to a moan at times, as afterall it's been nigh-on a year now since our lives turned upside down.

I hope everyone else is doing alright and of course I think about Gilly and how she too is coping.x
Take care one and all and stay safe. xx

readalot Thu 14-Jan-21 10:38:20

Morning everyone from Co Durham. Snowing heavens high here, the forecast was right. Parsley Box sounds a good idea Mick especially when you can keep them in the cupboard. My dh is getting very fussy at the moment and doesn't eat a lot. I might try them for him. I'm waiting for my Tesco delivery, it's the first time I have ordered online, I think it will be cancelled because of the snow so I've got my fingers crossed.