Gransnet forums

Chat

Food you really don’t like!

(96 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:57:22

Herrings, that awful tripe we used to have when we were young. Nasty white stuff with onions. I don’t like honey, either but that’s about it, I like most food.

MiniMoon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:50:46

Sprouts (will eat but not enjoyed)
Sponge cakes (I think its the texture).
Any dish made with reheated potatoes.
Milk (a drop in tea, and okay in sauces and custard) I had to take a note to school to excuse me from milk.

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jan-21 10:27:48

Chewbacca what is "anything with relative"?

I actually typed ^ anything with gelatine^ but my ipad decided it knew better! grin

Humbertbear Sat 16-Jan-21 10:19:21

Well, for a start I’m a vegetarian so you know two types of food I don’t like. The one I can’t bear even the smell of is semolina. And I have been known to ask my husband to move to a different table if he orders kippers for breakfast in a hotel.

JackyB Sat 16-Jan-21 08:43:38

^Soups of any kind
Anything with relative
Sprouts
Tongue^

Chewbacca what is "anything with relative"?

JackyB Sat 16-Jan-21 08:01:51

Beetroot. More than "ugh". It makes me shudder even to hear someone cutting ot.

I could live on milk, tough. Rice puddings, semolina etc. As long as it's not ice cold.

Bellanonna Fri 15-Jan-21 09:43:14

I eat almost all of the dislikes mentioned on here with varying degrees of pleasure. I love a glass of cold milk with fish n’ chips. I haven’t eaten tripe since I lived in Rome, but I loved it there. I love coriander. I draw the line at snails and frogs legs and refused to eat smoked puffin offered to me on Iceland.
Otherwise I’m a good guest as I’ll eat anything.

Hetty58 Fri 15-Jan-21 09:10:04

Coriander aversion (genetic, quite common) - tastes 'soapy' to me - also orange marmalade and grapefruit.

Witzend Fri 15-Jan-21 09:06:41

Coriander seems a ‘popular’ one.
I used to hate it, because back in the dark ages when dh and I were living in Cyprus and exceedingly skint, and were living largely off soups made from cheap local veg, I once bought it by mistake, having confused it with flat leaf parsley.
Talk about ?!
I couldn’t believe how anyone could actually buy the stuff on purpose!

I have come to fairly amicable terms with it now, though.

NanKate Fri 15-Jan-21 08:14:40

Another for coriander. Couscous yuk. Butter beans remember them in the school stew ☹️

Santana Fri 15-Jan-21 08:00:27

Beetroot.
Made to eat it when I was 6 and have a strong memory of seeing my sicky puddle in the teacher's tweed skirt.
Table for fussy eaters after that, until it was time for free school meals table.

CanadianGran Fri 15-Jan-21 07:49:38

Not a fan of soggy bread or cake, eg. bread pudding, or even watching people dunking biscuits or cake. The thought of it makes me gag.

Coconut as savory eg. in soup or curry. I love it as a sweet.

pickles - want to like them because they look nice, but sorry. That includes pickled anything!

Katyj Fri 15-Jan-21 07:29:17

Offal just can’t understand why you want to eat organs used to filter out impurities eg urine in animals. ?

phoenix Fri 15-Jan-21 07:14:47

Bakingmad I have perfected my trifle making technique over the years so that the jelly is no longer soaked in to the sponge ?

nanna8 Fri 15-Jan-21 05:38:45

You don't like sprouts then? hehe
I don't like those little miniature sweetcorns you get in Chinese food but I like ordinary sweetcorn. Anyone who doesn't like oysters please send to me, I adore them cooked or uncooked( so long as they are fresh)

glammagran Thu 14-Jan-21 23:55:42

Roses

Tomatoes
Coffee
Cream
Coriander
Hot milk
Chillies
Stinky cheese

These are all foods I love! Except hot milk.

Chewbacca Thu 14-Jan-21 23:38:18

Yes! Add squid, whelks, mussels and oysters to my list. I'm not a fussy eater at all.

Kim19 Thu 14-Jan-21 23:32:15

Anchovies for me. Also squid but I think I was unlucky there in that my first attempt (restaurant) may have been poorly cooked. Keep hearing dining companions wax lyrical about how deliciously tender it is whereas mine was tough as old boots. Never forget the awfulness and can't bring myself to have a second attempt. No sirree.

misty34 Thu 14-Jan-21 23:28:48

Mushrooms Uggh! Don't like smell taste or texture.

merlotgran Thu 14-Jan-21 23:24:07

I love everything on the dislike lists although I've never eaten tripe.

CocoPops Thu 14-Jan-21 23:22:44

Meat
Fish
Gazpacho
Tomato ketchup
Milk unless in smoothies, hot drinks, sauces and baked goods.
I was made to drink those bottles of school milk warmed or in the winter defrosted on radiators.

Chewbacca Thu 14-Jan-21 23:11:58

Sprouts
Liver
Curries of any kind
Sprouts
Garlic
Apricots or peaches
Sprouts
Anything spicy: chillies, peppers etc
Apple's
Pears
Sprouts
Beetroot
Tripe
Sprouts
Soups of any kind
Anything with relative
Sprouts
Tongue
Grapefruit
Sprouts
Turnip
Swede
Sprouts
Porridge

Other than that, I'll eat anything.

allium Thu 14-Jan-21 22:57:06

School food! ?

AllotmentLil Thu 14-Jan-21 22:39:49

Earl Grey tea - the smell is enough
Anything elderflower or elderberry
Offal
Black pudding

Grandma11 Thu 14-Jan-21 20:59:59

I strongly dislike, and refuse to eat,

Runny Eggs,
Fish with small bones,
Tuna, fresh Salmon, but love Smoked Salmon!
Liver, but I do like homemade Chicken Liver pate!
Marmite
Courgettes and Marrows, Breadfruit
Sea food shellfish, but love Prawns and White Crab meat!
Very hot and Spicy dishes, Chilli, Vindaloo, Phal, but love the milder Curries and Chilli Dishes, Pasta, and Chinese food.

Elizabeth1 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:54:52

No way can I eat black pudding even although it looks good on a breakfast plate
I was tricked once into eating rabbit in mince ( yuck)
liver and bacon is delicious together with fried onions
kidney no never would I eat a steak and kidney pie
I can eat nearly everything else and I just love these cooking programmes with all their various spices
Certain fish cooked by Rick Stein would not go down very well fish bones put me right off hope I’ve not contradicted myself here.