Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you like, but can't eat together

(40 Posts)
MrsPickle Thu 14-Jan-21 16:02:49

Tuna and cheese.
The other day, OH requested tuna pasta bake. I can eat all three things, but together? Urghhhh

Fried eggs with tomatoes on a plate

Pineapple and pizza... wrong, wrong, wrong!!

cornishpatsy Thu 14-Jan-21 19:00:13

Love cauliflower cheese but must be on its own or with bacon, never with roast dinner.

I do not like two sloppy things together, mashed potato must be with something solid like sausages or chops never mince as in shepherds pie. I do not like double carbs, pie and chips pasta and bread, leaves me bloated.

TerriBull Thu 14-Jan-21 19:34:40

Could never get over the peanut and jam or jelly as Americans call it sandwiches shock and grits. it's semolina for heaven's sake, the stuff of school nightmares! for breakfast with bacon shock

I'm another who likes my beans on the side and not on the toast.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 19:40:17

grits I never really knew what that was, I assumed some mind of porridge.

I love semolina but with jam but I haven't eaten any for about 25 years!

Blondiescot Thu 14-Jan-21 19:53:13

Grits and semolina are two different things - although they do look quite similar, I suppose. Grits is a kind of savoury porridge made with cornmeal, while semolina is made from wheat.

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 19:57:37

Is grits similar to polenta? I always assumed I hated polenta until I was served it a month ago. I shocked myself by liking it.

Mollygo Thu 14-Jan-21 21:32:20

GagaJo perhaps I ought to try it-the way I used to tell my children. What sort of jam does your DD put with the peanut butter?

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 21:34:57

In the US it would be grape jelly, which is just sweet purple gloop, IMO. Here, it would probably be strawberry jam.

JackyB Sun 17-Jan-21 10:00:57

A very popular dish here in Germany is "cordon bleu". It is a chicken breast or, more usually a pork scallop, slit open and filled with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese, breadcrumbed and fried. I couldn't possibly eat that. In fact any combination of meat and cheese turns me off. Perhaps I'm a latent Jew. It's not kosher.

mrswoo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:22:36

I like chocolate
I like ice cream

I don't like chocolate ice cream

geekesse Sun 17-Jan-21 11:27:15

mrswoo

I like chocolate
I like ice cream

I don't like chocolate ice cream

Have you tried grating chocolate on top of vanilla ice cream?

Blossoming Sun 17-Jan-21 11:31:33

Mayonnaise with cheese, too greasy.

Nortsat Sun 17-Jan-21 11:35:40

I don’t like baked beans with an English breakfast.
Grilled tomatoes- yes. Baked beans - no.
I quite like baked beans at other times, they are a bit of a comfort food, I think.

I don’t like beetroot with anything or on its own.

pensionpat Sun 17-Jan-21 12:02:48

I love butter. But never on a bacon sandwich!

Spinnaker Sun 17-Jan-21 12:41:55

Sausages with fried eggs. If part of a full English then the sausages are put on one side of the plate to eat with either the baked beans or tinned tomatoes with the bacon always being eaten with the egg.