Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Fri 15-Jan-21 06:18:20

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but looks dry and cold outside here in brackley this morning .
Today , a small shop ,and do my own Fish and Chips in the oven .
Locally it seems to be getting quieter on the roads , etc buses are running empty apart from a few people using it to shop locally .
Take Care,
Mick

NannyJan53 Fri 15-Jan-21 08:08:57

Good morning from a dull but dry Black Country.

A warm welcome to NaughtyNantheRed interesting name hmm

A video call with two friends today, we worked at the same company a few years ago. One now lives in Lincolnshire, and the other not too far away in Shropshire. My friend in Lincs is 60 in a weeks time, she was planning a Tamla Mowtown pary, which obviously will not be happening. Was looking forward to it, and to meet up again.

We made a start on stripping off the anaglypta in the Living room yesterday, that is going to be a job to take off, especially the lining paper underneath. We do have plenty of time though smile. I finally convinced him that it was 'granny' paper, so he has agreed to have it skimmed and the walls painted....phew! We have only lived here 8 years.

I have similar memories Ashcombe, my DD was 42 on Dec 18th 1978. I remember one day trying to take her out in the pram, but it was one step forward, two sliding back, so had to give up. It seems ages before I could take her out.

Thinking of Auntieflo today, and hoping she has good news. Also, hoping you are ok Marydoll you always managed to keep so upbeat despite your health worries flowers

Beauregard Fri 15-Jan-21 08:09:03

Good morning all from a very cold Derbyshire. The snow we had yesterday hasn't settled.

Another quiet day here. DH is doing well but still having pain...early days. I'll have a walk later to tend to the girls ? and get my daily exercise.

Hope AuntieFlo's appointment goes well today.

Have a good day all, and stay safe.

NanKate Fri 15-Jan-21 08:11:10

Morning Mick and All.

What a relief no rain, light coloured sky here in South Bucks.

I’ve sent for the Parsley Box details. Yes I like the way the company presents itself Viridian. Hope you and Beechnut can give us a review.

Got a text from the Doc telling me they will contact me about my vaccination, BUT WHEN that’s what I want to know. I’m on the edge of going stir crazy. ?

kittylester Fri 15-Jan-21 08:11:17

Good morning all from a perishing cold North Leicestershire.

Some admin to do today and then I have to read the instructions for the new sound bar which, apparently has an Alexa incorporated!! Baffling!!

I empathise totally with the feeling of frustration mentioned by not being able to help our families in any practical way. My daughters all work really hard at home (children, house, work and/or studying) while their husbands seem to have managed to still be able to go to work.

Thinking of AuntieFlo and our gilly.

Georgesgran Fri 15-Jan-21 08:13:37

Good morning from Durham, where it’s -4 and we still have snow, frozen solid.
Another nothing day but must be in (my trip to Paris for lunch with Brad Pitt will have to wait)
as DH’s meds are being delivered by courier from the Hospital, but no idea when.
Kitchen floor is a disgrace, so that’s something to do while I wait.

Thinking especially of Auntyflo today and others who are restless and anxious. X

Beauregard Fri 15-Jan-21 08:15:13

NannyJan do you have one of those steam wallpaper removers? They really help with the job.

Gingster Fri 15-Jan-21 08:20:00

Good morning all from a more settled Essex. It rained solidly for 24 hours yesterday. We managed to walk little pooch - me in the morning and DH in the afternoon. We both got drenched but actually it was nice to get out in the air and have a bit of excercise. You feel better for it when you get back indoors and cosy up with a cup of something

Ashcombe my Dd was born in December 1978, and I remember that winter well. We were in hospital in a glass annexe which was very chilly at night, so we were given extra blankets and the babies were taken into a warm nursery for the night time. Me and 3 other young mums loved it as we got a good few hours sleep and were refreshed when our babies returned in the morning. I was in there for 10 days and it was a real treat as I had two lively boys at home. Tasty meals served up, new friends for a chat and visitors only in the afternoon. I came home well rested and ready for life with my 3 little ones. How things have changed!

I must make a list for DS1 to do the shopping tomorrow morning. He’ll be here by 8 having finished the shop, as he likes to go early and get things done. ?.

Wishing you all a gentle day. ??

harrigran Fri 15-Jan-21 08:25:32

Good morning from the NE where we have a harsh frost.
DH had his vaccination last night and he said they were super efficient, no queues in cold car parks and they monitored him afterwards before releasing him.
As DH was leaving the house to attend the surgery my text message came through, I am having my vaccination at 19.30 tomorrow and I fall into the over 70s group.
My sister is 80 and in Germany and they are just talking about making appointments, way behind us on the vaccination programme.
GD 2 has to go into school for an exam this morning and they have an enormous amount of snow and a 15 mile drive. Will Skype tonight and see how it went.
Take care everyone.

Lins1066 Fri 15-Jan-21 08:30:02

Good morning Mick and all. A dry morning with a clear sky here on the S Welsh coast. The bin men are outside collecting the rubbish. I will change the bed and make a fish pie for tonight, very little else on the agenda today.
My thoughts are with Auntieflo for her appointment today
Hope everyone will find something to smile about and keep yourselves safe.

Marydoll Fri 15-Jan-21 08:37:14

Good morning all, from a chilly Glasgow, where we still have remnants of snow.

I'm seriously in the bad books, as I had nightmares during the night and kept DH awake. He is not happy with me at all.

Some of you may remember that in the past I've had difficulty obtaining my medication. Yesterday the surgery staff surpassed themselves.
I telephoned the pharmacy because I hadn't had a text saying my medication was ready. No prescription had been received, despite the prescription being written eight days ago.
I duly phoned the surgery to ask where they were.
I was told, quite abruptly, that because I hadn't botheredbeen coming for my regular blood tests, all my medication , including repeats were being withheld until I came to the surgery for a blood test, as there was a now a marker on my file. ?

When I was discharged last week, the pharmacy technician phoned from the surgery to organise my new heart meds and repeats. She promised I would have them within two days.
I was so impressed by the efficiency. Oh how wrong I was!

I explained -- through gritted teeth-- to the receptionist that I as I had been shielding since March, after weighing up the risks, all blood monitoring had been put on hold, on the advice of my clinicians, as I was too vulnerable to come to the surgery or hospital.
I further explained that all the necessary bloods had been done in hospital last week and I had already spoken to the senior GP on my discharge about the results. Since he was satisfied that my medication was not yet affecting my liver and kidneys, I could continue with the weekly biologic injections and no need to have any more bloods done just now.

Had no-one read my file ? I was absolutely raging to say the least. Why hadn't the surgery contacted me and alerted me to say that there was a problem? Instead I had to make a series of phone calls to rectify this. Not good for my BP!

The point I'm try to highlight is that, although clinically vulnerable, I still have all my marbles and am pretty much on the ball. What if I wasn't?
Today, I will be writing a very stern letter to the practice manager, highlighting all the failings on their part and the fact that the service provided was way below standard.
I understand, we do have to make allowances for the present situation, but my surgery has failed and abandoned me all through my shielding. Thank goodness for my lovely RA consultant, who is the exact opposite!

No home schooling today, mummy is off and will be in charge. I have a Tesco delivery, that is enough physical effort for one day! I had to smile yesterday, when my son sent me the programme for the day and asked if I would be happy to do the French lesson.
Unknown to my son, it included a French lesson from the French programme, which I myself had written for the primaries in our cluster. ?

A wee shout out for Elizabeth1. Thank you for the photograph of us at the ^ Edinburgh Grans'^ Burns supper. Happy memories indeed! ?

Wishing everyone a good day and special hugs for Auntirflo

Jaxjacky Fri 15-Jan-21 08:38:22

Good morning all from a frosty S Hants, I can see next door due-icing their car, it rained yesterday so will be slippy out. DH is going out to price a job, he’ll be pleased to be out of the house! I’ll give the kitchen a clean down today including the hob and wipe down the doors in the living room, might hunt out a duster. Tesco delivery after lunch, I too have been impressed with their supply, rarely substitutions.
Thoughts with Auntieflo and still too Travelsofar.
Have a gentle day all.

NannyJan53 Fri 15-Jan-21 08:39:06

Beauregard we don't have a steam wallpaper remover, but I know someone I can borrow one from, which we used when stripping the kitchen 2 years ago. Will be ringing her today smile

Grandmabatty Fri 15-Jan-21 08:39:50

Good morning all. Your parsley meals sound very nice! Kim andGrandmattie 'In the bleak midwinter' is my favourite carol. The words are by Christina Rossetti and I'm fond of the Pre-Raphaelites. The weather is cold and grey in Polmont. It's obviously still icy in places as I can see the evidence, however it's at least above zero -just. I have a chiropodist appointment this morning,so I'm on second cup of coffee and will go for a shower shortly. I have a hack on one heel which will need attention. My dd and dgs will call in later as she's ordered me morning rolls from a local bakery along with her order. She sent a photo of dgs last night with an enormous egg on his head. He had walked into a door as he's not good at looking where he's going. His uncle,my ds,was exactly the same as a tot. Leftover chicken curry for tea. Yesterday I took out what I thought was mince to discover curry! That'll teach me to label dishes. I'm thinking of a number of you today,in particular Auntyflo and Marydoll. I hope your teaching exertions weren't too much for you. Grandmafrench and Ellanvannin you never fail to brighten my day. Have a good day all.

Grammaretto Fri 15-Jan-21 08:42:32

Good morning from the frozen Scottish Borders.

Happy Birthday to Ashcombe's DD.

Another reminder of harsh winter days. DS2 was born in a January snowstorm. We managed to get to the hospital but I was stuck there for days waiting for an ambulance to bring me home to DH & DS1 through the snow.
DS2 has emigrated to NZ so now has a summer birthday but we never got to share it.

I get very cold in the evenings and worry that there must be people who can't afford to heat their houses all day while they are working and schooling from home.

MiL had her first vaccine yesterday though the 2nd one won't be until April.

Alygran Fri 15-Jan-21 08:44:37

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It is freezing today! The temperature is not expected to get above zero, so on top of yesterday’s snow it’s a bit tricky outside. I must go shopping for food for the week as the fridge is bare. I’m hoping the roads are ok once out of the village.
Thank you for the recommendation of ‘Where the crawdads sing’. I really enjoyed it and saw this morning that it’s one of the books in the Duchess of Cornwall’s Reading Room.
Auntieflo I hope your appointment goes well.
Stay safe everyone and have a good day.

CherryCezzy Fri 15-Jan-21 08:45:39

Good morning everyone. There's an apricot sky here in the Gower this morning and the birds are singing in a choir.

I'm having ongoing problems with my tablet, every letter I type is like typing through mud. Not easy to post.

I hope you all have a kind day, stay safe and find a smile along the way. Take care everyone ❤️

Pittcity Fri 15-Jan-21 08:47:18

Good morning from a grey but dry Colchester. It rained heavily all day yesterday.
Short walk to Lidl to stock up for the weekend and thats about it for today.
We've been invited to a party in August and I booked a hotel room last night. It felt very daring! I haven't paid anything and have free cancellation but it still seemed surreal.
Much love to all x

Sar53 Fri 15-Jan-21 08:54:28

Good morning from a dull but calm Essex by the sea. As Gingster said we had 24 hours of rain yesterday, the field behind the beach is waterlogged.
Hopefully we may get out for a walk today, I fear my legs may have forgotten how to !!!
Salmon parcels for dinner, we haven't had fish for ages, apart from fish fingers, which we both enjoy.
Washing, ironing and vacuuming are on the agenda today.
Thoughts with Auntieflo today and anyone else who is having a difficult time.
Take care and stay safe everyone xx

Anniebach Fri 15-Jan-21 08:57:15

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Mollygo Fri 15-Jan-21 09:05:34

Good morning from a very frosty N. Lancs. My car looks totally white. I hope it’ll start.
I put some pink bird food out this morning. Starlings arrived, took one look and flew off, as did the blue tits. Then a blackbird came to investigate, and stayed. That seemed to reassure the rest and suddenly the others came back. I love watching starlings on the suet balls, but my peanut container was a waste of money.

Pantglas2 Fri 15-Jan-21 09:11:12

Good morning all from a dry and relatively bright north Wales where I’m still lolling abed - I hate January with a passion and this year it’s worse as I can’t get out and about visiting, going for a drive in my new jalopy, mooching around shops etc ?

It’s gotten to the stage where most mornings I don’t feel like bothering you all with my nothing of a day, although I do read all your posts and realise I have little to moan about when folks have health worries and family troubles.

There! ? here’s my happy/silly face back now that I’ve got it all off my chest!

Wouldn’t it be lovely to see Friday Girl back - Gillybob never failed to raise a smile with that one - hope she knows we miss her!

Hope things go well for AuntieFlo today and how lovely Ginny, to have a baby ? to look forward to meeting ? so envious!

Stay safe everyone x

Greyduster Fri 15-Jan-21 09:18:56

Good morning Michael and all GNs. It snowed most of the day yesterday but we managed a walk down to the supermarket. This morning, it’s bitterly cold in South Yorkshire and the road outside looks frozen. We really need to drive over to the bank, but doubt we’ll get out today. DD sent me a photo of our thirteen year old with a snowman he’d built. The snowman was wearing marigold gloves. I asked if that model did the washing up! She said “neither of them do, unfortunately!”?. Have a good day, folks, and stay safe.

BlueSapphire Fri 15-Jan-21 09:20:17

Hello and good morning everyone from a brighter Northampton, but it feels very chilly. We did not get the forecast snow yesterday thank goodness.

Another quiet day at home, planning on starting on my knitting this afternoon. The cats have already found the wool, on the highest bookshelf in the study, and yesterday I got up to find one of the balls under the dining room table.

A red letter day yesterday! I got my appointment for the Covid vaccine! Next Thursday is the day; it can't come soon enough.

Thinking of all those with worries and cares.

Susan56 Fri 15-Jan-21 09:21:20

Good morning.

I thought I would be up early today as DGD stayed over but when she woke at 7 I said it’s still early see if you can go back to sleep and she is still asleep now!

More homeschooling today.

Thinking of Auntieflo today?

LauraNorder Fri 15-Jan-21 09:25:27

Good morning Mick and all from grey, cold but dry Anglesey. Parsley Box should pay you some commission Mick, you’ve certainly upped their sales.
Thinking of Auntieflo, hoping some good treatment can be offered and very soon.
Hope Travelsafar is doing okay and has some support through her awful time.
Tesco delivery, bit of a walk, game of scrabble, some backgammon, chess, tv and keeping up with Gransnet, the days wander by.
All the best to everyone, keep on keeping on.