Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown blues how are you avoiding it?

(88 Posts)
Redhead56 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:06:50

I think we have done well so far as a family keeping occupied during this pandemic. However I am get messages from friends and they all seem to be running out of steam. Running out of ideas to stop feeling down I am curious what keeps everyone going?

Casdon Sun 17-Jan-21 14:56:41

4allweknow what a difficult time you’re going through, how sad your situation is for you and your family without COVID adding to the other problems you’re facing. I hope your husband is well enough to be vaccinated and that you are able to get out more by the spring. In the meantime try to look after yourself as well as everybody else.

PippaZ Sun 17-Jan-21 14:47:12

EmilyHarburn

My sister and I are spending some of our pension money commissioning books to be written on our four lovely grandmas x 2 and great aunts x 2. This involves research, family conversations on zoom and discussions with Storyterrace and the authors.

I have just delivered the papers to one author - a single
work journey by car to a car park for distanced handover (papers in files in bags in box on wheels, masks, handsanitizeer etc.). And am now on finalizing the files for the next author.

Wow! How brilliant. How did you find the author?

rowyn Sun 17-Jan-21 14:42:46

Like Lexisgranny and others who agreed with her, I've lost my mojo.
I've been on my own since this started and coped well until recently, but now have lost all oomph/motivation whatsoever. Have bouts of arthritis or gout or whatever which means that my feet hurt a lot and often my knees too so walking is a real struggle and so I haven't had much fresh air since well before Christmas, which I spent on my own.
I'm not a particularly sociable person, so can be very content being solitary, but I just can't get myself doing very much. I' m spending far too much time on the computer and/or watching TV.

4allweknow Sun 17-Jan-21 14:42:44

I feel I am really hitting a barrier. DD died April 2019. Hadn't got to grips with that when Covid kicked in. DH has cancer and is now on the end stage treatment for the disease . He has very little energy for going for a walk Was given 2 years but one of those has been used up with Covid restrictions. Discovered through research my GS has a learning disability. He is 10 and school has put his issues down to everything but a disability. All those years he has struggled and to get a formal, education department accepted assessment we may have to pay or wait months as waiting lists for any school funded assessments are huge. SIL (deceased DD's husband) is struggling with the isolation, he has a bubble of a friend but he doesn't want to impose on him and his family. I don't live near him. I can't remember when I had a night's sleep. I feel I should contact GP but I know if I am diagnosed as depressed my husband will feel he is a main part of the cause. I go into the garage get on the exercise bike and can just weep buckets at times. And some folk think it's terrible not to be able to go to a pub!

Susieq62 Sun 17-Jan-21 14:20:04

Jigsaws, Joe Wicks, daily walks, writing letters, learning Italian, cooking, baking, book groups on zoom and now a co-opted town councillor so plenty learn. Listen to the radio, watch limited TV but hooked on junior bake off as the children are amazing. Want to hug/ see my daughter but she 100 mikes away so no go at the moment. Hanging on for vaccination. Some days I just chill !!

2020convert Sun 17-Jan-21 14:06:27

marq66

Without the delight of trips to plan, it has felt quite grey. So I've taken up yoga for the first time in my life (at 67). thanks to Denman College (Women's institute) on line. No joining fee, £5 per session. So I wobble and groan, but my camera is off and we're all muted! I've also done some cookery sessions with them. It breaks up the week. With my husband I watch live streaming from Ronnie Scotts Jazz club Mon & Thurs, donation optional. It's great seeing these enthusiastic musicians delighting in playing. Podcasts are also great and come on a huge range of topics. I love Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell, two fascinating American journalists, despairing of the departing president! I have just started reading with my 6 year old grand daughter online via readeo.com. We are so lucky to have so much technology!

I can recommend Ben Holder Music on UTube. A very talented your man,. Miss his live sessions but he’s trying to entertain during these lock in days. Also just been pointed to Max Out in the Lake District which is very uplifting

Flopsey Sun 17-Jan-21 13:39:19

As it’s been difficult for me to get out for walks during the last three weeks, due to bad weather conditions and because I live on a hill, quite dangerous at times.
I’ve discovered that Y-Tube have many different VR walks, either in woods, or alongside a canal, or by the sea and even better in different cities around the world.
I can watch them on my iPad or my Occulus Go.
It’s really helped me not to feel so ‘locked in’.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 17-Jan-21 13:20:40

I think the current situation affects us all in different ways and at different times,sometimes when we least expect it. I felt my worst the week before last,everything seemed so grim. I couldnt be bothered to do anything other than essential basics! Last week I avoided all live news and tv. I keep an eye on the headlines briefly once a day but dont see/ hear the endless speculation. It has made a massive difference to my wellbeing and motivation. I also think the slowly lengthening days are helping.

annodomini Sun 17-Jan-21 13:17:14

Now that I've had my first dose of the vaccine, I can see - in the distance - an escape route opening up. But I'm not counting chickens!

Theoddbird Sun 17-Jan-21 13:03:51

Not wishing time away but I will be happy when Spring is here. I live on a narrow boat and am fed up of trudging through mud to get to my car. Off to get click and collect in a minute. Will bring all groceries back from car in my wagon. Difficult pulling it across muddy uneven ground.

BlueSky Sun 17-Jan-21 12:59:49

I think we have become resigned to it, the first time it was terrifying, now yes running out of steam just about sums it up. Just hoping the vaccinations will make a difference.

EmilyHarburn Sun 17-Jan-21 12:55:26

My sister and I are spending some of our pension money commissioning books to be written on our four lovely grandmas x 2 and great aunts x 2. This involves research, family conversations on zoom and discussions with Storyterrace and the authors.

I have just delivered the papers to one author - a single
work journey by car to a car park for distanced handover (papers in files in bags in box on wheels, masks, handsanitizeer etc.). And am now on finalizing the files for the next author.

flaxwoven Sun 17-Jan-21 12:51:58

I am very fed up with the lockdown but thankful to be retired, to have a warm home and enough to eat. I keep busy with housework, spring cleaning neglected cupboards, 1,000 piece jigsaws, quiz books, reading, knitting, daily walks round the block, social media messages with friends and family, phone calls, films recorded - we have a channel called "Talking Pictures" with many old B & W films and series. I'm also enjoying the old Miss Marple films with Joan Hickson, anything Jane Austin, Edgar Wallace Mysteries, Upstairs Downstairs, the comfortable old favourites. I have my grumpy husband at home, but I am aware of some friends who live alone who are feeling very isolated and unhappy and some are not au fait with computers. I'm also aware of the struggle some parents are having trying to work from home as well as do home schooling, and also job uncertainty.

mimismo Sun 17-Jan-21 12:39:28

Mohum - Have you tried alternative heat sources? My husband swears by his electric heat pad, lying down on the bed, while a friend wandered around with a bustle-type sac, filled with microwaveable seeds, tied to her waist. Both would help with the prune effect I'm sure!!

Quaver22 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:37:30

I escape from the daily tedium by reading . I get through two or three novels a week , most of which I have read on my tablet and borrowed from my local library.
I remember days when I was working full time, bringing up my children and keeping an eye on my elderly parents when reading was an almost impossible luxury!

marq66 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:29:36

Without the delight of trips to plan, it has felt quite grey. So I've taken up yoga for the first time in my life (at 67). thanks to Denman College (Women's institute) on line. No joining fee, £5 per session. So I wobble and groan, but my camera is off and we're all muted! I've also done some cookery sessions with them. It breaks up the week. With my husband I watch live streaming from Ronnie Scotts Jazz club Mon & Thurs, donation optional. It's great seeing these enthusiastic musicians delighting in playing. Podcasts are also great and come on a huge range of topics. I love Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell, two fascinating American journalists, despairing of the departing president! I have just started reading with my 6 year old grand daughter online via readeo.com. We are so lucky to have so much technology!

marq66 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:21:39

You sound like a great friend! Could you involve her in this process such as sharing memories. You find a couple of photos of to support a memory of 1980s and get her to do the same. Even if you can't go into her home, you could tell her when you are coming round so she can leave her photos on the step and you exchange yours (obviously returning them next time) then share your memories by phone. Just seems a good way for both of you to share good times of your lives.

Omaoma57 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:02:15

I know i can feel down on grey overcast days...so get my walking, running or dancing shoes on and move! Today its sunny so have already been out...I also like a list of things to do and keep to a fairly regular pattern during the day...however today is also a zoom day so looking forward to a chat!

Alioop Sun 17-Jan-21 11:47:55

My dog walks, although the first one has got later cos I try not to get up so early as it makes the day longer, so I lie and read for a while. I've found this lockdown a lot harder than the summer one and cannot wait until spring arrives. My garden is getting landscaped in the Spring, so I'll have lots of planting, etc to do, no point doing anything in it at present as its getting a reshuffle, so I have that to look forward to. Get rid of these dreary dark days and hopefully we will all feel a little chirpier.

Santana Sun 17-Jan-21 11:46:52

Helenlouise3

I've bought an Alexa and sometimes dance around the living room. I go for a walk every other day, read, knit and do jigsaws. When hubby's done all he can of the crossword I take over. I also phone a friend/daughter/one of the grandchildren for a chat. Some days something simple like a shower with some luxury products. Anything I fancy really that makes me happy on that day

My grandson asked me if the Queen had an Alexa? I said no, she has a butler.
A conversation with a 4 year old always lifts my spirits!

Callistemon Sun 17-Jan-21 11:26:59

inishowen grin

Flakesdayout Sun 17-Jan-21 11:26:03

I do have my struggle days. Having returned to work I find I am stuck behind a computer screen for hours on end and do miss the social interaction that was my job before Covid. I have slowly extended my hours and do miss my afternoon relax. We are encouraged to take a break but what is there to do in 5/10mins.? If I go to make a drink there is no one there to talk to and it is warmer upstairs in my 'office'. I get half hour lunch break which isn't a lot of time for a walk etc. So I have decided to ask to cut my hours and work a four day week and see how I feel. I know negativity is bad but at the moment I cannot snap out of it. Roll on the spring. I want to get back to reading and some exercise.

Callistemon Sun 17-Jan-21 11:25:45

I seem to be suffering from a severe case of ‘can’t be arseditis'

A good term for it. It's wonderful, having a morning brew in bed and planning just what I'm going to sort out and throw away but quite another getting round to doing it.

I am trying to work through my yarn stash but I think , hope, lockdown may end before I can do that.

Fairyfeet Sun 17-Jan-21 11:20:14

I’ve have been feeling a bit down this lockdown. First two were fine, as I had gardening to keep me occupied, but this one seems harder somehow. Reading all your comments has cheered me up though, as I realise that I’m doing the same as a lot of you (video calls, reading, too much tv watching, sewing, knitting, walking, and dancing). We are all going through the same thing, and you have reminded me that I am, in fact, very lucky. I live in a nice place, have a roof over my head, warmth, enough to eat and friends and family to chat to on the phone. I can’t wait for normal life to resume, but I’m resolved to count my blessings.
ps I love the idea of sitting in a tent wearing plastic handcuffs inishowen

Arsenal67 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:15:35

Oh and I talk to my bestie on the phone alot. We tune into Escape to the Country and comment on the houses! (Bitch about)