Gransnet forums

Chat

I don’t know why I am so irritated ?

(49 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:18:02

I know that injections can be delivered to areas other than the arm but the usual site is the bit between the elbow and the shoulder.
So why have all the experts, media people got to tell us where they are putting it?
I am getting quite cross with myself for groaning every time I hear the phrase getting it in ‘people’s arms’.

Hejira Sat 16-Jan-21 11:22:49

NotSpaghetti

Hejira - Yes! ??

Thanks, NotSpaghetti. Apologies for all the typos in my post.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 11:28:08

Witzend

Must admit I was tempted to say ‘arses’ but was loth to besmirch my ladylike wink reputation.

Too late now Witzend
???

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 16-Jan-21 11:34:30

I don't care what they call it or where they put it - I just want it, NOW!

Jane10 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:09:49

I'm irritated by a Facebook post saying the person concerned had just had a Covid vaccine. Call me mean spirited but this person is a non executive director of a Health Board who has been 'working' from home. He's in his early 60s. He managed to drive to get it but its the nearest he's been to a health care setting for months. I just hope every single person in all the categories above him have had their injection already but a hae a doots!

paddyanne Sat 16-Jan-21 12:22:59

Do you know if he has serious underlying health conditions Jane 10
My daughter looks the picture of health ,she has 15 different illnesses that require treatment on the odd occassions she can get behind the wheel of her car to drive to the nearest town she gets berated for parking in disabled spaces.....NEVER judge the book by the cover
.Something I think we all need to remember especially now when some are apparently jumping the queue for the jag many folk have INVISIBLE disabilities

Jane10 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:30:25

Hi, no he doesn't have any underlying conditions in fact his other postings are usually about his sporting activities. I am well aware of how many of my former clients and colleagues suffer from underlying conditions which is probably why I'm so cross at his blatant queue jumping or rank pulling. By the way he's not in Scotland but has a house up here too.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 12:34:35

I know I never have much positive to say (and this will be no exception) but my next door neighbour told me that in the hospital where she works, the office and managerial staff have all been vaccinated, whilst those on the actual frontline have had to wait and are just starting to get theirs.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 12:38:51

I was going to say that, if true, this really pisses me off but, like Witzend, I would besmirch my ladylike wink reputation.

Jane10 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:41:06

I'm not ladylike so am happy to be pissed off. It's just not right. I think I'll unfriend him. My real friends wouldn't dream of doing what he's bragging about having done.

Bathsheba Sat 16-Jan-21 12:42:24

I'm just surprised that the media hasn't been saying the vaccine 'is a call to arms' wink

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 12:43:12

I don't like him either, Jane10 and I haven't even met him!

Is this your problematic neighbour MissA or a normal person?

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 12:43:47

Bathsheba ???

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 12:46:24

It's a normal person who works on the covid ward, in one of the hardest hit hospitals, Calli.

PamelaJ1 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:33:37

So glad that some of you are irritated by this too.
Most of you have not noticed the use of the phrase, I wish I hadn’t.
lemongrove you are quite right I wasn’t being very serious.
Thank heaven forNotSpaghetti and Hejira
I think they’re thinking what I’m thinking.?

Cs783 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:44:43

I’ve taken against the phrase ‘jabs in arms’. Another b*****y 3 term slogan. As if we can’t understand ‘vaccinations’.

But a very tiny bug in the wonderful achievement of having vaccines.

Marthjolly1 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:51:28

It's another 'new' phrase isnt it to be added to 'at the end of the day', 'bums on seats' 'pre-covid' and everything/everyone is 'toxic'. That one really 'grates my nerves'. No doubt there will be many more 'covid related' to come

Cs783 Sat 16-Jan-21 17:45:03

Oh yes Marthjolly1...many more for the COVID dictionary (some meanings familiar, other meanings misunderstood/changed)

Ramping up
Eye of the storm
Circuit breaker
Boosterism
World beating

I’ll stop - don’t mean to hijack the thread or turn it political just stress busting here!

PamelaJ1 Sat 16-Jan-21 18:28:29

Feel free Cs783 the more the merrier. I’ll look out for those.
No ,I won’t, I’m doing enough groaning?

Hejira Sat 16-Jan-21 18:51:44

There is another thread elsewhere about Vicky Ford's terrible performance on this week's Question Time. If you can't bear to watch it all, just the last five minutes where they are discussing the children's food parcel debacle. Apparently Government support for families is fabulous and fabulous. I'm wondering if fabulous has replaced world beating. Nor am I sure from the shouty shambles at the end whether family's are going to get any help at half-term. Apologies - slightly off topic but VF was the person repeated talking about "getting this [vaccine] into people's arms" earlier in the show.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000r7k6/question-time-2020-14012021

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Jan-21 21:17:15

Hejira it was me - the hate "in the arm" and "jab" person who started the VF thread! Aaarrrgggghhh!!!

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 22:08:29

I don't care where they jab shove it in, my arm, my bum, my tum, as long as they do it fairly soon.

Doodledog Sat 16-Jan-21 22:25:08

Apparently Government support for families is *fabulous and fabulous.*

Fabulous as in 'the stuff of fables'? That'll be right.

welbeck Sun 17-Jan-21 02:11:24

Soupy

I think they're just emphasising that it's a similar procedure to a flu jab, in case the thought of having it elsewhere is putting people off.

that's a good point.
there is so much disinformation, and suspicion; anything that reduces anxiety and shows how easy it is, is to be encouraged.
there was some talk of imans urging people to go get it, at friday prayers last. hope they did.
90 % of careworkers round here are african or asian origin. also they are most likely to be more ill if they catch it. yet they are the groups most likely to decline.
partly due to wariness, lack of trust in the authorities.