Gransnet forums

Chat

The very nasty Laurence Fox

(221 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 16-Jan-21 13:25:24

I have been very limited in my title as I don’t want to be rude
Laurence Fox has now bought himself an exemption lanyard off Amazon so he doesn’t need to wear a mask I believe he hinted at anxiety although I m not sure if that’s his full reasoning He also held a party I believe at his house in November
This man is an utter disgrace

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 13:23:26

Iam64

No we don’t need to privatise, we need everyone to pay a little more To fund the NHS

Totally agree.

GrannyRose15 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:40:24

Iam64

No we don’t need to privatise, we need everyone to pay a little more To fund the NHS

I'm afraid I don't agree with you there. I would love to think that paying a bit more would transform the health service. And I would do it gladly, especially if we could be sure everything we paid went towards the NHS as Gagajo said. But I fear it is too late for that. The whole institution needs to be re-structured.

silverlining48 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:05:17

If it is too late that’s because it’s been deliberately run down with contracts sold off at mates rates and then when it’s on it’s knees ‘ they’ can say it’s beyond saving and a form of insurance should take its place. Heaven help us if it’s a US form of insurance,
Staff hadnt had a pay rise for ten years, do we not remember the Tories actually laughing as they refused them any raise whilst raising their own pay. This has been a plan for a long while now. It scares me and should all who care for what is and has been a great institution.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:08:51

BUT also the government needs to stop diverting the National Insurance we pay to their mates for incredibly poor service / products.
I think most of the funding for the NHS comes from general taxation, although you'd think it comes from NI.

Yes, we need to pay more.

JaneJudge Fri 22-Jan-21 16:11:28

he is the biggest self entitled wanker in wanktown

JaneJudge Fri 22-Jan-21 16:12:05

god I hadn't realised there were more pages

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 16:12:18

I like your style JaneJudge.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:15:30

I can tell you isolating and doing all these boring things like wearing masks DOES work. Ask any Australian
Were Australians wearing masks?
A few months ago my DD flew interstate, ensured she had her mask on then noticed that no-one else on the flight was wearing one. Yes, the numbers were extremely low but I haven't heard much about mask wearing.

Quarantining at the incomers' expense, closing borders, locking down quickly etc are what seemed to have worked.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:16:22

grin grin grin

biba70 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:17:59

GagaJo

I like your style JaneJudge.

lol yes

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 16:45:13

Callistemon

^I can tell you isolating and doing all these boring things like wearing masks DOES work. Ask any Australian^
Were Australians wearing masks?
A few months ago my DD flew interstate, ensured she had her mask on then noticed that no-one else on the flight was wearing one. Yes, the numbers were extremely low but I haven't heard much about mask wearing.

Quarantining at the incomers' expense, closing borders, locking down quickly etc are what seemed to have worked.

My son in Sydney says masks are compulsory now in shops etc plus shopping malls railway stations etc. Fines are issued on the spot, none of your quiet chat business !

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:50:54

Oh, thanks for the update Lucca
It's reassuring but worrying.

Galaxy Fri 22-Jan-21 16:52:20

Excellent Janejudge grin

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 17:00:58

Callistemon

Oh, thanks for the update Lucca
It's reassuring but worrying.

Think NSW is pretty clear but they can’t go interstate. Gold Coast holiday is cancelled so a few days on the NSW coast instead. Australia have done well I think. I know it’s totally different etc but the decisive swift action and tough enforcement is praiseworthy.

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 17:01:53

JaneJudge

he is the biggest self entitled wanker in wanktown

Hey, don’t beat about the bush Jane!!

Iam64 Fri 22-Jan-21 18:09:39

GranyRose, paying more alongside a sensible review. By that. I do not mean bringing in the friends of government ministers, throwing a load of our money at them, then concluding we only need an nhs for the poor and destitute, everyone else pays in tax, national insurance and gets nowt.

nanna8 Sat 23-Jan-21 07:57:42

Where we are everyone wears masks. No more outdoors but in all shopping centres etc. Other parts of Australia are different, different rules for each separate state. Ours, Victoria, is the strictest because our population is high. It is a very large country.

nanna8 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:00:24

I should say there is a huge amount of resentment at the tennis people coming here and bringing Covid but the government, in it’s wisdom,has allowed them in. We are all just waiting for the nasties to start up again and we don’t trust the lockdowns they have in place.

Iam64 Sat 23-Jan-21 18:58:29

As if tennis is an essential activity.

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 21:41:00

I think nanna8 is talking about the Australian Open.

I really don't know how the competitors brought Covid with them as surely they were tested before they got on the plane and again before they left the airport?
They must have been quarantined when they arrived, too.

Tennis Australia chartered 15 flights to bring players and their entourages into the country, but three flights had passengers who later tested positive for the virus.

There is no point in blaming the players - Tennis Australia organised this.

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 21:43:30

Ours, Victoria, is the strictest because our population is high.
Victoria did have the highest number of cases but other states did shut their borders to anyone from Victoria.

nanna8 Sat 23-Jan-21 22:32:33

Sadly quite a few of the tennis people, players and adherents, have brought Covid with them. So far they have contained it and they are in isolation but the track record on containment isn’t too good. They can test negative on a couple of occasions and then positive on the next so I guess they would have caught it from someone on the plane. It is the uk strand which we are all scared of.

GrannyRose15 Sat 23-Jan-21 22:38:34

janeainsworth

^Have you forgotten Prof Neil Ferguson’s original prediction that without intervention half a million people would die? He was doubted but it looks as though he was right after all.^

That’s what I said about Neil Ferguson GrannyRose.
Your vicious words say more about you than about him.

Sat 16-Jan-21 14:27:24
Of Laurence Fox: He’s a male version of Katie Hopkins & best avoided.

Sun 17-Jan-21 18:05:30
it’s Lord Sumption you’re referring to. Another piece of work.

Three words;

pot
kettle
black

Eloethan Sat 23-Jan-21 23:12:30

He seems to be a very unpleasant man.

A few years ago he took part in a programme re celebrities climbing a mountain - I think it was Kilimanjaro. It was probably for charity. At the time I thought his attitude towards one of the other celebrities was just downright rude.

Then there were his comments about the Black Lives Matter issue and his sneers about the comments of successful actors from more "working class" backgrounds who said younger actors from similar backgrounds to them were now far less likely now to be offered acting work.

In my opinion, he's not a great actor either. I thought he was deadly dull in the TV series Lewis.

welbeck Sat 23-Jan-21 23:21:30

maybe the name helped ?