Gransnet forums

Chat

Did your parents have a favourite child?

(207 Posts)
songstress60 Sun 17-Jan-21 15:27:18

I am interested in knowing if any of the people on this forum had parents who had a favourite child, and it if affected their life. Were you the favourite child? Were you the unfavourite child?

I come from a family of 3 daughters and the middle daughter was definitely my mum's favourite. In fact my mother told me that after her birth which happened when I was 2 years of age I became a "jealous little bitch". She said that I spoiled everyone's childhood, but I feel that she made a real favourite out of my sister right from the start. My dad actually told her off about it because when my sister was a baby she would put her to bed and nobody was to disturb her while she bonded with her daughter. He said I did not get a look in at all. She was resentful of my youngest sister who was an accident, and always favoured my middle sister who could do no wrong in her eyes. When my sister bought her first home my mother's housewarming present was a vanity unit, a fitted wardrobe, and a dressing table. My housewarming present was a set of cat ornaments from a charity shop which I got rid of after her death. After she had been married 3 years my dad bought her some new rings:- a new eternity ring, wedding ring, and engagement ring. You would think she would divide the 3 old rings between the 3 of us. No! She gave my middle sister her ALL 3 of her old rings. I know I am not the only unfavourite child. A friend and work colleague of mine deliberately only had one child because of all the favouritism her mother bestowed on her sister. My other friend was also the unfavourite child who decided to have no children after having a miserable childhood where she felt second best. I would love to hear of other gransnet readers eperience of this, and if any of them as parents actually have a favourite child themselves?

sillydevil Wed 12-May-21 20:06:38

I was my Father's favourite, the longed for son after 2 daughters. I grew to hate it and him. We had a strange household. From my earliest age I can only remember fights and rows between my mum and dad. In our house Mum and my two sisters had one bedroom and Dad and I had another. I realised at an early age I was by far his favourite and I would use it to my advantage. Trouble was he was a bully, both physical and psychological.
My sisters took the physical abuse, not my Mum or me, but it started blazing rows and standoffs, that was the only time they'd speak (I mean shout) then. I've been told in later years Mum did try to leave him with us, but no help was available, asked "Does he beat you", "No then you haven't a problem" was the answer - it was the 1950's. I was totally terrified of him and did everything he told me to do, I was like his trophy son and a "lapdog". He would take me to his mothers (evil nan, as I thought of her), they would run my mum down and I'd have to listen to it and keep quiet. Then he'd make me stay with her and my uncle (he was still living at home), until he came and collect me a day or so later. To be fair my uncle would try to get them to stop. But my father was "evil nan's" favourite and they wouldn't listen to him. I used to pray at night mum and dad would make up and we could live as a normal family. Our dysfunctional family went on like this until I was 10, mum fell ill and Dad stopped slagging mum off, to "evil nan" and anyone else who would listen. Stupid me, I thought my prays had been answered, no one told me mum was dying of pancreatic cancer until it happened. It took about a year, I knew mum was in and out of hospital and there was much whispering by relatives. I queried a few times that I'd heard the word cancer, but I was told I was wrong. When it happened, I remember being in bed at home, I had a cold or some such. My two sisters came and told me mum had died, I called them liars and didn't initially believe them, dear old Dad just wanted to tell me mum had gone away, he was also a moral coward. The above is just a taster of the reasons I hated being his "favourite". To be fair to him he had a charm, those who initially met him liked him, I know this from my "lapdog" period, when I heard everything and said nothing. He had something, he married again and I was no longer a "lapdog", that ended in divorce after she left him for the second time. Then he married for a third time and that wasn't plain sailing either, but she outlasted him. But I know from my "lapdog period" he was two faced and a liar. I finally broke his hold over me when I was 17 and my eldest sister later replaced me as Dad's favourite and she accepted, which was fine by me. I vowed quite early I never want to be like my father, my wife and kids are my life. I honestly believe, I do not have a favourite amongst our kids and I hope they know it. I'm lucky I love them all and I actually like them all and our grandkids, which if it's not down to luck, is due to my true favourite their Mum.

NanaandGrampy Wed 12-May-21 21:57:00

Yes my Mum had a favourite,

There are 4 of us , 3 girls and a boy . And my brother was her acknowledged favourite even though he was one of twins.

Luckily , my brother is a thoroughly nice man and we three girls love him. We joke about all the ways my Mum showed how he was her favourite but instead of alienating him it gave us 3 girls a bond.

We’re all close.

biglouis Thu 13-May-21 00:24:46

I was 7 when my sister was born and she instantly became the favorite and remained so until both parents died. She was a lot prettier than me with a mop of curly blond hair, while I had become a plain gawky 13 year old by then. My father had quite a violent temper and I got quite a few whalloppings, thanks to my sister snitching and whining.

All I can remember from my school days is being sent to school with holes in my shoes and clothes from the second hand market. Fortunately I was the favorite grandchild and I knew that if I went to gran she would buy me the things my mother said she couldn't afford. Gran never took to my sister and said "she gets the smiles and you get the smacks". When my sister got pregnant (1960s so big disgrace back then) gran cut her out of her will. She left me a legacy and the entire contents of her house, which started me off in the antiques trade.

Later my sister paid for being the favorite. She had to take care of my mother when my father died. I had moved away from the city I was born in by then and was employed in a job which involved travelling. So I was not around. I often thought she was being made to pay as a adult for when she was a favorite.

sillydevil Sat 22-May-21 00:12:35

Great, I'm pleased for you all, we all have a past good and bad, but it doesn't and shouldn't define us.

V3ra Sat 22-May-21 02:15:09

sillydevil what a heartfelt account of your sad childhood, and what a heartwarming account of your loving marriage and family life now ?

mumofmadboys Sun 23-May-21 08:35:36

I agree V3ra especially the last line sillydevil. May your happiness continue