Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't get flower seeds from Suttons.

(35 Posts)
nadateturbe Mon 18-Jan-21 12:45:35

In the scheme of things not important, but I'm not a gardener so spent some time looking at the website to choose easily grown flower seeds that I can plant soon. Went through the whole process to payment and my basket was emptied and I got a message. .no delivery to NI. I rang Suttons and was told it was because of Brexit. Wonderful!

David0205 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:44:26

My sympathy NI was sacrificed on the altar of Brexit, thankfully it only affects mail order. There will probably be concessions for personal presents etc announced soon but not likely for commercial goods.

nadateturbe Wed 20-Jan-21 17:51:51

Thanks David I understand why it had to be. I was just shocked when I realised it was actually happening. But I'm not going to think about it any longer. Need to be positive ?

nadateturbe Fri 22-Jan-21 13:23:54

This confirms what I thought. I wonder what else we will have problems with. This will affect both NI and businesses on the mainland.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55757319

Casdon Fri 22-Jan-21 13:32:58

I really feel for people in Northern Ireland at the moment, you are at the sharp end of the Brexit impact. It’s concerning too that the UK are no longer adhering to the EU standards for plants, that one has not been on the radar before (or ive missed it).
I hope you manage to source everything you need, and don’t end up having to pay more to do so.

timetogo2016 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:33:09

Have you tried Amazon/BnQ/Homebase OR BnM.

nadateturbe Fri 22-Jan-21 14:14:04

Timetogo I can manage but thank you. I'm more concerned that a gap is developing between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
&Casdon*, I'm no expert but I'm sure more standards will be lowered.

Poppy101 Fri 29-Jan-21 11:53:03

to all,
its not that us seed companies in the uk are lowering standards but that there was no thought in Brexit about the packet seed trade. Every variety in every packet in every order from the EU & NI has to be tested for a phytosanitary certificate - this can take upto 6 weeks and costs are in the ball park of £200... the UK in its wisdom have elected to add travel time and admin time to the costs involved. So that there is no border between the Republic and NI these additional costs now apply to NI as well. We could supply you with seeds but would you really be happy to pay £200 plus for a packet of tomato seeds? These regulations have wiped out all our EU trade almost overnight as it only came to light as an issue in September and the final decision regarding NI was made clear on December 30th.
This is yet another problem caused by those listening to the lies and voting for Brexit

nadateturbe Fri 29-Jan-21 18:28:49

Goodness Poopy that is a big problem for seed companies! No doubt more will come to light.

nadateturbe Sat 30-Jan-21 09:27:31

Sorry Poppy not Poopy grin