Gransnet forums

Chat

Smart Motorways

(33 Posts)
Mollygo Tue 19-Jan-21 13:26:34

It’s on the news today that they’re reviewing their use. DD and SIL risk their lives driving to work on one every day and as DD said last night, “There’s nowhere to go if something goes wrong. The refuges are too far apart.
Any one else with experience?

JenniferEccles Wed 20-Jan-21 16:26:23

Yes you are right Teacheranne
There really is no safe option on these awful roads is there?

I usually avoid petitions on these threads but I will have a look at that one Chestnut

Ohmother Wed 20-Jan-21 19:29:47

The answer seems to be to now add a hard shoulder to all of them!

Stupid, expensive and dangerous thinkgs!

Greeneyedgirl Wed 20-Jan-21 19:42:48

Cost Ohmother Cost!

The reason this was done in the beginning was clearly speed and cost. They will revert to hard shoulders in the end anyway, with the extra expense and time incurred. Like so many ill thought out schemes.

Ohmother Wed 20-Jan-21 19:50:02

Agreed greeneyedgirl.

M0nica Thu 21-Jan-21 07:47:12

I think in the limited way they were originally planned they were OK. Dealing with rush hour queues and the bottlenecks that ensue in certain restricted areas at restricted times - traffic using them was slow moving, and when the rush hour was over they were went back to being hard shoulders.

But because something works in limited circumstances does not mean it works when everything is larged up.

timetogo2016 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:58:41

I`m about to sign Chestnut and thank you for the thunbs up.

JaneJudge Fri 22-Jan-21 14:14:53

They are dreadful and I was quite surprised the M1 had decided to go mostly (?) smart. There are accidents all the time because of it sad