Gransnet forums

Chat

Called for Jury Service during pandemic.

(27 Posts)
glammagran Tue 19-Jan-21 23:43:16

I have been very down since winter started. Following a case of Covid at my DGS’s nursery we all agreed we would stop having her on the day she is not at nursery. Neither my husband and I have been into a shop since between August and November when we dared to.

My husband is in his 70’s and is awaiting a CT scan for a continuous cough (2 years). He also has quite bad asthma and has been classed as having vulnerabl status from the GP.

I am 65 and have osteoarthritis in my hip meaning I can’t walk all that far - I have had an X-ray and seen a consultant who said I was around 2-3 years before I’d need a replacement hip. Far worse, I have an extremely painful shoulder due to torn a rotator cuff (too shredded to be operable) and impingement having had 3 attacks now following an injury in 2006. The latest attack began at the end of October when I picked up my DGD and she became a dead weight as she was having a bit of a tantrum and wrenched my shoulder. I had a fall just after Christmas because I have been taking round the clock Nurofen plus for the pain which was causing dizziness. I knocked my self out hitting my forehead on the door handle of my wardrobe. I still have lots of bruising on my face even now. I dislocated a finger too which is out of alignment and very painful too. I would have gone to Hospital in normal times but due to the pressure the NHS is under I did not want to burden them. As a result, I cannot drive. I also have cataracts.

I have been summoned to attend jury service in mid February. I told them all of the above but they have said they will not excuse me. I am sitting in floods of tears as I am not prepared to risk my life, walking nearly a mile to the bus stop, getting on a bus and attending court for heaven knows how long. We have been ultra cautious all year. No days out, meals out or holidays and have we’ve only have seen elder son and daughter twice this year vey briefly and outside. Youngest daughter is expecting 2nd baby in April which is worry enough as it is.

I do not know what to do.

BlueSky Tue 09-Feb-21 22:11:53

Can’t believe you are still expected to comply without hesitation and you can’t really refuse even during a pandemic! Hard to believe especially for those people who, because of age or pre existing conditions, would be at a higher risk of contracting the virus.