Gransnet forums

Chat

If only someone would invent...........

(146 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Jan-21 10:23:42

Plasters that actually stick - I have to plaster small cuts on my hands caused by eczema and they fall off the first time I wash my hands. Grrr!

What do you wish someone would invent?..........

moggie57 Thu 21-Jan-21 22:18:50

Sound proof flats

Grandma11 Fri 22-Jan-21 01:51:58

A decent sized walk in bath, with a normal height seat, and a Jaccuzi function, but not so narrow that your hips touch each side of it, and your knees are pressed right up to the tap end! Oh, and a nice wide door that you can walk forward into and not have to squeeze sideways! They make some lovely ones for the American market, but for some strange reason they are not available in the Uk!
Swivel car seats that allow you to sit down straight into the seat, without having to struggle to sit and pull yourself in and straighten up sideways afterwards. I say watching people arriving and departing at our Local Covid vaccination centre yesterday, and felt really sorry for the elderly people struggling to get in and out of a car and straighten up into the seat sideways themselves, a swivel seat would be so much simpler.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 07:27:07

moggie57

Sound proof flats

I think the rich and famous probably have them moggie.

Nell8 Fri 22-Jan-21 08:29:03

Please could I have linen clothes that don't crease hopelessly? Then I might stand a chance of looking well presented in hot weather... not like something the cat dragged in.

Franbern Fri 22-Jan-21 08:41:59

1.Those great things the medics use in Star Trek, which they point over even deep wounds and it heals and seals it it in a flash.

2. Lovely tasting food that is nil calories!!!!

Grammaretto Fri 22-Jan-21 09:20:49

They have swivel baby car seats already so surely it would be easy enough to make these for adults sizes. Are you listening manufacturers?

My idea is quite easy I imagine:
A waterproof magnifier for the bath or shower so you can read the print on the shampoo and other bottles without your specs.

As another struggler with duvet covers, I am determined to go over to single duvets as they do in Denmark, Charleygirl. The problem is I have a lifetimes supply of the large size and hate waste.

I first bought left handed scissors over 40 years ago Ramola when my DC came out left handed. The local Chemist sneered at my suggestion then but I still have a pair. There was a wonderful shop in Soho where we made pilgrimages to get all the gadgets for left handed people.
Another shop here in Edinburgh, but probably closed due to the pandemic and online competitors, sold all you could want for elderly and disabled.
Long handled shoe horns, trays with cushions, bottle top removers. etc.

Lastly Luckygirl it's a shame your hands have to be so long in water. I recommend a dishwasher and a personal attendant.

Conan Fri 22-Jan-21 10:02:52

An industrial sewing machine that has a warning light to let you know the bobbins run out. Working for many years as a machinist that was quite often the topic of conversation.

kathsue Fri 22-Jan-21 11:38:28

A left-handed microwave oven. I have a very small 3 sided kitchen and the only place I can fit the microwave is in one corner. It has to go in diagonally, otherwise I'd need to reach over the door to get stuff out. If the door opened the other way it would be SO much easier.
They make fridges, freezers, washing machines , ovens etc opening the other way so why not microwaves?

Nannagarra Fri 22-Jan-21 12:00:31

A revolving turntable like a lazy Susan for my electric oven. I could then forget about hotspots and have evenly browned bread.

Franbern Fri 22-Jan-21 12:11:10

Revolving car seats are available and are used by people with mobility problems.

I have never understood why showers cannot also incorporate a warm-air blowing facility, to use when the water is turned off.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 12:35:09

grandtanteJE65 have you tried Viakal? I use it around taps etc, just leave to soak then wipe off, gloves essential.

PollyDolly Fri 22-Jan-21 12:40:28

merlotgran

Ditto plasters and also freezer labels that actually stick and don't end up in the bottom of the freezer drawer.

?? I think you bought the same labels as me Merlotgran! Flaming nuisance aren't they?

Grammaretto Fri 22-Jan-21 20:29:39

I am shocked kathsue that there is no left handed microwave. I checked after reading your post and sure enough you are correct but there is a drop down door type available though it would take up a lot of counter space.

Olive53 Sat 23-Jan-21 14:54:40

Wish someone would invent quilt covers that were easy to put on. One’s with zips on three sides to get the damn quilt inside the cover. You have to be a contortionist to do it otherwise ?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 24-Jan-21 10:18:06

Petra, some of the asleep/short sighted drivers following others don't see brake lights - I've been rear-end shunted by such, despite having braked gradually in good time.

rowanflower0 Sun 24-Jan-21 10:20:37

If you go to the disability shows, they do make showers with warm air driers. but, as with anything that carries the 'disability' label, they cost the earth!

Rosina Sun 24-Jan-21 10:23:01

Jaylucy it must be at least twenty years ago that I saw an item on TV about an ironing 'cupboard'. (Tomorrow's World perhaps?) Clothes were placed inside on hangers, and after a sort of 'hey presto' interval would be crease free. I'm not imagining this because several friends saw the item and we got so excited that we had almost agreed to buy one between us. We heard nothing more about this wonderful liberating invention - does anyone else remember it?

LadyJus Sun 24-Jan-21 10:55:24

Rosina

Jaylucy it must be at least twenty years ago that I saw an item on TV about an ironing 'cupboard'. (Tomorrow's World perhaps?) Clothes were placed inside on hangers, and after a sort of 'hey presto' interval would be crease free. I'm not imagining this because several friends saw the item and we got so excited that we had almost agreed to buy one between us. We heard nothing more about this wonderful liberating invention - does anyone else remember it?

Rosina, my sister is nearly 50 and my mum had one of them when she was a baby! She kept it until it fell apart after 20 years of service to 4 children..

Bearzen28 Sun 24-Jan-21 10:56:05

I recommend cling film to cover cream when you sleep overnight and then cover with clothing or a sock to keep it on. Keeps cream on longer and prevents absorption by plaster.

NemosMum Sun 24-Jan-21 11:14:06

Luckygirl I have eczema and had a very bad spell with my hands and feet some years ago. Compeed plasters were the only thing which stuck properly and gave me relief from the soreness. I had PUVA treatment for 3 months, which helped. As to inventions, I'd like a self-cleaning car!

Skweek1 Sun 24-Jan-21 11:37:32

I discovered in the late 60s that I was allergic to plasters but these days I've found that I can use them, but they don't stick. For safety's sake, I use Micropore, which doesn't stick either. So possibly the fact that most plasters today are hypoallergenic may have something to do with the lack of stickability.

Lollin Sun 24-Jan-21 11:55:43

moggie57

Sound proof flats

and for my friend sound proof gardens which allow nature of course, though some of our birds are very loud for very long spells - which does amuse me grin

Grannyjacq1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:29:58

A clothes airer on wheels so that I can move it round easily to follow the sun when forced to dry clothes inside.

Nanananana1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:41:22

Re plasters: I use the rolls of plaster tape, sometimes over a piece of muslin (better for eczema?) or over an ordinary plaster. Wrap it right round and attach to itself. Works on fingers and arms (but not so easy on legs!) Not too tight as you may have to cut it off!

Nanananana1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:44:03

Re freezer labels: I have found writing on a slip of paper then stuck onto the lid with a piece of sellotape works! Very low tech!