Gransnet forums

Chat

Any names you don’t like ( either through association or just because)

(113 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:04:10

Not keen on Cecil for a male and not keen on Deirdre for a girl though I do know a Deirdre who is actually a really nice person. Don’t like some of the made up modern ones, either.

Grandma70s Wed 20-Jan-21 20:25:06

ision. There are kings and princes called Edward, but none called Kenny as far as I know, so I think your grandfather’s employer got it wrong!

Tangerine Wed 20-Jan-21 20:58:33

Perhaps nanna8 didn't mean to create a nasty thread. I suspect she originally thought it would be a bit of lighthearted fun.

I don't like names which are only suitable for small children as I think it's awkward when the child becomes an adult.

My favourite names are ones that are slightly unusual but not too difficult to spell. A lot depends on the surname too.

BlueSapphire Wed 20-Jan-21 22:40:24

As an ex-teacher my heart used to sink when I glanced down the register of a new class and certain names came up.....they were always trouble.

Gwyneth Wed 20-Jan-21 22:49:18

Double barrelled surnames. How many names does one person need? A real pain when you are a teacher and becoming more trendy all the time.

Chestnut Wed 20-Jan-21 23:25:33

Chewbacca

Jennifer. Never met one person named Jennifer that wasn't rude and unpleasant. Not one.

Well I have always liked the name and I know one who is the most loving person ever, always willing to go the extra mile to help a friend and always very concerned about other people.

Chewbacca Wed 20-Jan-21 23:40:13

How lovely for you Chestnut.

Riverwalk Thu 21-Jan-21 07:45:14

BlueSapphire

As an ex-teacher my heart used to sink when I glanced down the register of a new class and certain names came up.....they were always trouble.

You didn't really do that did you - I thought it was an urban myth?

Lucca Thu 21-Jan-21 07:56:40

No urban myth. True!

Riverwalk Thu 21-Jan-21 08:07:35

Poor kids - low expectations of them on day one sad

Sara1954 Thu 21-Jan-21 08:32:19

Just goes to show, you really need to put a lot of thought into your children’s names.
I told my daughter when she was drawing up lists, that if the name had been around one hundred years ago, it would probably stand the test of time.

nanna8 Thu 21-Jan-21 08:38:31

People can be very precious . As I said, I am talking about names not actual people. You have to separate the two. I didn’t like my mum’s name but that didn’t mean I didn’t like her. Obviously. Honestly this political correctness makes me so sick and I am glad it is not so bad here as it obviously is there.

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 08:47:13

Crikey, you should read the baby names threads on mumsnet - They’re brutal.
People come on asking for options on their chosen name and the answers are as follows:
Examples;
That sounds like a strippers name.
Too ‘chavvy’
Too ‘council estate’
Oh my god just no.

And yes. lots of teachers saying they could write the child’s report simply going on their name.

JackyB Thu 21-Jan-21 09:00:08

My DS1's name has been listed as belonging to unpleasant people but I didn't take it personally, although I was surprised.

I always thought of it as quite neutral and anyway it was the name of his paternal great grandfather.

JackyB Thu 21-Jan-21 09:03:35

My DS1 is named after my Dad. Nonetheless, all the boys I know with that name have been real terrors (including DS2). I did begin to think it was connected with the name.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Jan-21 09:05:59

There is a girl's name which I hated when I was little as it belonged to a girl in my class whom I didn't like. However, I then acquired a lovely little cousin with that name, and I started to like it so much that we gave it to DD as a middle name.

Sara1954 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:06:03

I absolutely hate my middle name, which is also my mothers name, I never use it unless I’m absolutely forced to, and then it makes me cringe.

JackyB Thu 21-Jan-21 09:07:47

Sorry, as I said DS1 is named after his great grandfather. I think my phone just prefers writing DS1 to DS2. In my 2nd post I wanted to say that DS2 is named after my Dad.

Here in Germany names have completely different connotations. My name is considered really chav-like and is used as a typical name for dumb blonde jokes.

Sara1954 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:09:17

Jackyb

My brothers and grandads names are mentioned as well, I really don’t think they’d be at all bothered.

Casdon Thu 21-Jan-21 09:13:22

One of the most unfortunate names to have must be Isis, I know a young girl called that. It’s such a classic, pretty name, but the connotations put on it now are so bad.

Blondiescot Thu 21-Jan-21 09:28:04

I don't think there's anything to be get offended about here - just because someone doesn't like YOUR name or that of your son, daughter, grandchild etc, doesn't mean they wouldn't like you personally! It's just a name - they're not talking about the actual person. Jeez...let's all hop aboard the easily offended bus!

nanna8 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:29:27

Isis is a nice name, I agree but you wouldn’t be game to name someone that now. A shame. Karen might be another one, too. I used to dislike Benjamin but I liked Ben so could get over that. Only because I knew a Benjamin years ago who was very loud and vulgar.

Sara1954 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:34:57

If we all liked the same names, we would all be called the same, could get confusing.
One of my grandchildren has a
Classic but rarely used name, I really like it, but a lot of people don’t, including some of our family, but that’s who he is, and I can’t imagine him being anything else.

Witzend Thu 21-Jan-21 09:43:21

I once hated Vivienne, because it was the name of a really vicious little bully at my school.

Changed my mind completely in my 20s when I met a Vivienne who’s lovely and still a close friend. So often IMO it’s the connotations that put you off.

There are a couple of boys’ names I really dislike - enough to have told dds, please don’t ever bring one of those home and tell me you’re going to marry him!
But I won’t state them here for fear of causing offence.

Newatthis Thu 21-Jan-21 10:19:09

Alison (sorry Alisons!) - maybe this is because I have known 3 Alisons and none of them have been very nice. Fiona is another name I'm not fond of. My sister was going to call her baby Fiona and I mentioned it to a new neighbour whom I'd just met and said that I hope she (my sister) didn't as I thought it wasn't a nice name - my neighbour then said that her daughter was called Fiona (ooops!). My neighbour and I did go on to be good friends and her daughter, Fiona was a lovely girl.

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Jan-21 11:42:30

Some of it’s generational. As mentioned earlier, Mumsnet has regular no-holds-barred threads about baby names. One that’s always met with horror and the chav accusation is Jay. I got that reaction from my lot a few years ago when I said how much I liked it. My point of reference was Jay Gatsby.

If anyone on here has that name in their family, good for you - I still love it!