Gransnet forums

Chat

Any names you don’t like ( either through association or just because)

(113 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:04:10

Not keen on Cecil for a male and not keen on Deirdre for a girl though I do know a Deirdre who is actually a really nice person. Don’t like some of the made up modern ones, either.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jan-21 10:35:33

Elrel

Lady Honoria, you have tempted me to post on this somewhat dodgy thread. My neighbour’s daughter Onyx is a lovely, characterful toddler.

Ooh, Onyx. Interesting.
That's quite a harsh sound. It sounds more masculine to my ears. It's a bit Sci-Fi too.

LadyGracie Fri 22-Jan-21 09:55:33

I went to school with a boy whose surname was Ellis, he was not very clean and used to smell quite a bit.

I always said I’d never marry anyone with that surname. Guess what!

Not the smelly boy though.

Gwyneth Fri 22-Jan-21 09:46:33

Sara1954 That’s nice to hear and I like the name Florence too. I once played Florence in the Magic Roundabout so the name always brings happy memories for me.

Sara1954 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:50:24

Gwyneth
I know a young family with two daughters, Gertrude and Agatha.
I love the name Florence, we have one in our family.

Elrel Fri 22-Jan-21 01:15:06

Lady Honoria, you have tempted me to post on this somewhat dodgy thread. My neighbour’s daughter Onyx is a lovely, characterful toddler.

Ro60 Fri 22-Jan-21 00:54:04

Florence - an old family name I refused to encumbered my DDs with. One had a French exchange pal with the name & lamented "why didn't you call me that?''
Now it's top of the charts! I
I wonder if either of my expected GCs will have it ?

Gwyneth Thu 21-Jan-21 23:08:36

I had an Aunt Gertrude. I wonder if that name will ever come back again?

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Jan-21 20:12:29

I like Ethel as a name, LadyHonoriaDedlock - it reminds me of the long-suffering big sister in the Just William books. Names mooted for the granddaughters I never had were Edie, Ada and Maud. I think it's lovely that names go round in circles like this.

David and Victoria Coren Mitchell's little girl is called Barbara.

Sara1954 Thu 21-Jan-21 19:12:44

When I was in the park last summer there was a little girl called Barbara, and my granddaughter has a swimming friend called Norman, both fairly unusual.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 21-Jan-21 18:17:18

Ro60

When I was in high school for some odd reason my friend & I thought the name Amelia was soo old fashioned & hilarious - would have us in fits of laughter.
Now it's a popular name I can't imagine what caused the amusement.

One of my grandmothers was Amelia. The other was Hannah. When I was little I thought they were fusty old-lady names, and both were young women by the time Queen Victoria died. Both names have become very fashionable since.

I think we're probably all influenced by people we have known, especially in childhood. For a long time I had a downer on Rachels even though I've known some lovely Rachels (and the less common but more authentic Rachael) and I suspect that it's because the Rachels I knew in childhood were "goody-goodies"!

Amelia, Hannah, Emily or Alice may have come back into fashion but for some reason names like Ethel or Bertha never do. I wonder why?

Some precious stones - Ruby, Emerald, Pearl - come back but Beryl never does (despite my teenage hero Beryl Burton, novelist Beryl Bainbridge and the wonderful Beryl Reid). Sapphire has never really been, I think, it seems to belong to drag queens, and I've never heard of a Zircon (I refuse to accept diamonds and would always rather have a nice zircon instead, though nobody is offering me either these days!

TrendyNannie6 Thu 21-Jan-21 18:15:16

There are quite a few names I dislike but I wouldn’t post them simply as wouldn’t want to upset anyone with the same name, so I’m going to post a few names I love instead, Amanda Elsie,Olivia Leonie. Harrison, Nathan, Jake Dave, None of which are my AC names, as don’t want to be reconised

MamaCaz Thu 21-Jan-21 17:56:40

Someone slagged off both my sons' names at one go on the first page of this thread!

While my instant reaction was one of indignation, I am not genuinely offended.
It's extremely unlikely that she has ever met my sons, and I'm sure she would have a much better opinion of those names if she had grin

cornishpatsy Thu 21-Jan-21 16:20:36

There have been past posts where people say they do not like the name chosen for their grandchild, it does not mean they dislike the child or the parents choosing it.

The permanently offended often spoil a light hearted thread.

Lucca Thu 21-Jan-21 15:48:57

Just came back to say the teacher register thing was light hearted in intent. It had an element of truth in it but never in a million years would I have treated any child differently because of their name !

Namsnanny Thu 21-Jan-21 14:50:15

My family had a heated discussion about two names. The only difference being one letter in the spelling of them. Both were pronounced similarly.
Which pointed out to us how preconcieved our ideas were.
In Germany it is against the law to register a child under the name Adolf Hitler.
Registry offices have the right to veto certain names, by law.
I think that underlines the fact that at least in Germany they accept that a book will be judged by its cover.
If you listen to any comedian eluding to certain class divides they will often resort to the shorthand of children's names.
Which insta tly paints a picture of a 'type' in the audience mind.

I'm not saying I agree or like the fact, but it looks as though the name one chooses does reflect on the child (for good or ill), and the parent of course.

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 13:19:13

Ian is extremely popular with literally millions of them, just like Peters and Freds.
Not stand out names at all.
Myra is fairly unusual so will always be associated with the moors murderer.
I doubt there’s many Adolfs in Germany.

Sara1954 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:10:14

Bluebelle
I’m not saying it’s fair, it’s just human nature.
I bet you’ve heard someone’s name and had a preconceived idea about them.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Jan-21 13:09:12

Exactly it’s only a name so how can anyone be judged by only a name blondie
Katie Hopkins did this a few years ago and wrote about a list of kids names she knew would be troublesome and chavvy and I can just imagine her being that judgemental, small minded and cruel I never considered in a million years that teachers would do exactly the same are most teachers really on the same level as Katie Hopkins? ..... my word I hope not

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Jan-21 13:06:06

Kandinsky

If people weren’t defined by their names they’d certainly be more women call Myra.

There are still plenty of Ians around though. And Ronnie and Reggie are in the top 100 list of boys’ names.

Blondiescot Thu 21-Jan-21 12:59:04

I still think there's nothing to get "offended" about. There are far worse things to get upset over. It's only a name after all...it doesn't define you.

DillytheGardener Thu 21-Jan-21 12:49:13

My own name now it has become a popular meme and a derogatory slang word for woman of a certain age, personality and background.

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 12:48:09

Nothing, if you want to name your daughter after a serial killer.

MawBe Thu 21-Jan-21 12:46:06

Kandinsky

If people weren’t defined by their names they’d certainly be more women call Myra.

What’s wrong with Myra?

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 12:44:27

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 12:27:02

Blondiescot

I don't think there's anything to be get offended about here - just because someone doesn't like YOUR name or that of your son, daughter, grandchild etc, doesn't mean they wouldn't like you personally! It's just a name - they're not talking about the actual person. Jeez...let's all hop aboard the easily offended bus!

But they are pre-judging people by their names!! They are assuming that all people with a certain name are horrible just because they knew a couple of people with those particular names years ago!

Narrow-minded and judgemental.