Gransnet forums

Chat

Hobbies/Interests.

(30 Posts)
romaroot Wed 20-Jan-21 15:53:07

Just wondering what hobbies and interests are popular these days.
I'm not very good with fitness, but have an interest in ancestry, spiritual healing and Herbs.
I seem to be doing much more of them now due to lockdown.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:22:00

I enjoy puzzles and history. Also read quite a lot.

romaroot Wed 20-Jan-21 16:30:23

Ooh, I like History too. Not very good at puzzles though.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:52:54

I am not that good at puzzles but hope they will keep the brain cells alert. Not working that well.

Esspee Wed 20-Jan-21 17:37:05

I’m into archaeology, gardening, travel (well not much lately) and the latest addition genealogy which is filling my lockdown hours beautifully.

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Jan-21 18:05:09

Growing vegetables, crosswords and planning projects..through to completion.

SuzannahM Wed 20-Jan-21 18:19:24

We've been doing family history on and off for thirty years, I think we've exhausted all the records currently online.

I love decorating and doing up old furniture. I used to enjoy ransacking old junk shops and charity shops for things to upcycle, but junk shops have pretty much disappeared now and charity shops are all too sanitized and orderly. Much like the second hand bookshops we used to explore.

anisamarsh Sat 07-Aug-21 03:51:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Kim19 Sat 07-Aug-21 05:22:25

At the moment gardening takes up much of my time and I love it. I'm also very much into diy of the simpler stuff and this whiles away my winter hours usually with a very satisfying conclusion. A daily riverside walk helps the limbs to stay a wee bit nimble and there's a feast for the eyes out there as the seasons unfold. Radio , TV and computer games are my sit down pastimes. Social lunches were a substantial part of my life pre lockdown - yes, I would even have called them a hobby bizarrely! - and they are picking up again gently. I love family gatherings but we're thinning out a bit now. I'm smiling now as I pen this at how gentle my life has become. I seem to have eased from hectic without noticing. Don't think I have the staying power for any in depth hobbies now but I'll happily settle for the gentler pursuit of pastimes.

Whiff Sat 07-Aug-21 07:06:09

Cross stitch and more cross stitch, reading. And found due to Covid lockdowns I am a gardener growing plants and veg. I make my own jams, marmalade and chutneys.

Calendargirl Sat 07-Aug-21 07:45:51

SuzannahM

We've been doing family history on and off for thirty years, I think we've exhausted all the records currently online.

I love decorating and doing up old furniture. I used to enjoy ransacking old junk shops and charity shops for things to upcycle, but junk shops have pretty much disappeared now and charity shops are all too sanitized and orderly. Much like the second hand bookshops we used to explore.

Pity you don’t live in our small market town. We have at least eight charity shops, three ‘junk’ shops, two second hand bookstores, and several car boot sales take place at weekends in the locality.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 07-Aug-21 08:15:28

Social and family history, puzzles, pottering in the garden and reading for me.

Chardy Sat 07-Aug-21 08:23:37

Another family historian (excited about UK 1921 census), a lot of crafts (glass and yarn), dog-walking, on-line puzzles.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 07-Aug-21 08:55:47

I’m looking forward to that too Chardy. Do you subscribe to the National Archives free weekly newsletters? They include a little online jigsaw each time.

rubysong Sat 07-Aug-21 09:05:44

I am currently doing family history non-stop as Ancestry is free for me through local library membership. It will end soon so I am adding as many distant cousins as I can and have my direct line back to the 1600s on a couple of branches. I am in awe of some of the women I have found, who were widowed early and left with a farm and a large number of young children. Also brave families who emigrated to far flung places many many years ago.

ginny Sat 07-Aug-21 09:07:24

I love craft hobbies. Crochet, patchwork, cards , scrapbooking , felt and a little bit of watercolour painting. I love trying all sorts.
Also I read a lot( nothing too heavy.
Enjoy social history and like to dabble in psychology.

Anniebach Sat 07-Aug-21 09:31:04

Cross stitching, family history, killer sudoku, writing a book on
coal mining for my grandchildren so they know they have cause to be proud of their ancestors.

JessK Sat 07-Aug-21 09:33:36

Knitting, crosswords and sudoku are my go to things when I can't get out.
Walking and visiting interesting sites as well as going to the theatre when I want to get out and about.

JulieNoted Sat 07-Aug-21 10:08:53

Sewing - I make clothes (mainly for my granddaughter), bags, rope bowls, patchwork, soft toys. I also love to embellish things with machine embroidery. Currently using fabric scraps to make greetings cards.

Nacky Sat 07-Aug-21 10:27:39

Given the enjoyment in family history some of you might be interested in a wonderful free course in Genealogy run by the University of Strathclyde and available via Futurelearn. I have learned so much from it and also from other Futurelearn and Openlearn course such as creative writing and social history. One that might interest Anniebach is about the lives of miners (Strathclyde again), which is excellent.

Redhead56 Sat 07-Aug-21 10:40:23

Gardening my veg patch is my passion I make little fairy gardens in lanterns pots etc. I love cooking and planning menus I have a large collection of cook books. My DH and I play cards while sipping wine.
I spend a lot of time studying on line. I went to university as a mature student and have a degree in Politics I have not stopped studying since. These days it’s non vocational courses Sustainability Antisemitism Diet and Nutrition were my most recent.
I love to learn probably because I was brought and told get out and get a job to bring the money in. Typical attitude of the time coming from a big family.

oliversnana Sat 07-Aug-21 10:48:24

I enjoy knitting, crochet, camping, horses, sewing, word puzzles, reading, family history and during lock down have taught myself to spin yarn.

Katie59 Sat 07-Aug-21 12:46:26

Gardening, cooking, crafting, theatre and travel plenty to keep me busy, my OH takes up some more of my time but I can’t claim that as a hobby really.

travelsafar Fri 13-Aug-21 08:29:36

Mine is my garden and greenhouse, they have kept me sane through lockdown and recent troubles in my life. I have to get help with heavy jobs and mowing the lawn but I can still sit in GH and work and I can still potter in the garden if I take my time. It is my happy place ☺ I also always have some knitting on the go. I hope this helps my brains ? as reading and following patterns is involved. It also helps relax me. I am off to my knit and natter group this morning. Always someone to help with a tricky pattern if you get stuck!!! Lol

thorns2roses Mon 17-Jan-22 00:45:02

Anything to do with gardening: TV, radio, NGS as I only have a tiny patio bounded by a raised garden: Wall Germander, Hyssop, Monarda, pinks and a single Gertrude Jekyll rose, hence my username (I was nursing the cuts when I had to choose a name). My reading over the winter/ Christmas: Grisham, Annie Proux, Cranford, nothing too demanding. Another history lover here: my ears still prick up if anything comes up in the news on the Anglo-Saxon period, though my degree covered a wide range of subjects. We look out for archaeology if there is anything to see whilst on holiday, though I get the inevitable, "it's just a field" from my other half (Yeavering, Breamish valley). North East folk music on youtube; last night I listened to Waters of Tyne, Andrew Ashwin; Fareweel Regality, Terry Conway; Ma Bonny Lad, Onion House Band, and Kathleen Ferrier; Close the Coalhouse Door, Alex Glasgow (childhood classroom memories). Like to dip into poetry now and again, but not knowledgeable: Little Gidding, The Tin Wash Dish. Walking.
Apologies in advance for the grammatical errors grin.