Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(75 Posts)
12Michael Thu 21-Jan-21 06:16:23

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and its wet outside here in Brackley , still the effects of continuous heavy rain .
Did make up some curry yesterday , ready to place in the freezer today.
Apart , form the mail , which has been early just lately ,and of course with the lockdown , I have got into the habit of snacking and putting weight on.
Take Care ,
Mick

Harmonypuss Fri 22-Jan-21 03:24:46

Good morning everyone from a dark, damp, South Birmingham.

I made a lovely stew in my "magic cooking pot" (electric pressure cooker) yesterday, which will last me about 3 days.

The dog is snoring at the bottom of the bed and I'm just thinking about having to take an eBay package to the courier drop-off later this morning then this afternoon is looking like a revision session for my accountancy college course.

Maybe sometime over the weekend I'll have a few hours with my son and his partner (my support bubble) to play some board games - not my favourite pastime but if it gets me out of my house to see someone I'm happy to do something that makes my son happy ?

Auntieflo Thu 21-Jan-21 14:41:00

Well, It's good afternoon from me, to Mick, Annie, and all.
Mick, no more snacks.
I have been on the phone all morning, as yesterday, the PET scan I was expecting to have tomorrow, was cancelled! According to the Dr who phoned me, they didn't have my weight, and could not read her name.
You couldn't make it up, could you?
I was offered a place in Milton Keynes! but declined. I am to be phoned again, around 4 pm. We shall see.
Bellasnana, well done with the haircut, mine was cancelled.
Sorry to hear the news of your DD Gagagran . Hope she soon feels better.
Marydoll, are you feeling any better, after your bad night? Such good news that they will allow you to have the vaccine. Also, you are to slow down. We have spoken, OK?
Good to hear that Grandmafrench is OK, via Grandmattie
Hoping that Cherry, and Viridian are feeling better today. Mind you, I wonder what Viridian has in store for her concrete art bag?
We watched the inauguration yesterday, and I wonder how the invited guests managed not to freeze. It was so cold.
Alygran flowers.
Well done BlueSapphire for fixing the doorbell.
To all who have had rough times lately, gentle hugs all round.
A quick peek in from Gilly, would cheer us all up
Must go now, or it will be tomorrow.
Enjoy the afternoon one and all

Grandmafrench Thu 21-Jan-21 13:57:58

Missed your post, Alygran. I'm so sorry, today - and every day - must be hard. Hold on to all those wonderful memories and loving thoughts of him?x

hollysteers Thu 21-Jan-21 13:03:01

Just sneaking in cheekily here with greetings from Rainy Rooms, northwest coast. Back garden completely flooded but thankfully not too near the house. It’s an old war wound but of course worse at the mo.
Drawing and sketching today intermingled with housework, yuck.
Beautiful art book ordered from Germany turned out to be a tiny art book, completely wrong order, so wrestling with that.
Will come back and enjoy reading everyone’s exploits
Thoughts to the troubled.

Borrheid55 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:45:44

Marydoll great news about the vaccine. My mother had hers last week at the Health Centre so my brother took her. I hope you don’t have too far to travel for yours. Read this morning of a very elderly (91 & 86) couple given appointments two hours drive away!
All quiet here in sunnyish Kent. I’ve been falling asleep in the armchair while reading the paper these last few mornings. Not sleeping well at night despite going to bed sometimes at 20.30! I have a folic acid deficiency and low thyroid so maybe some reviews are needed but do I really want to go to the surgery atm? No work to worry about so I’ll just go with the flow.
Made a huge stew last night for DH - should set him up for his nightly drive to Birmingham!
Hope all feel better who are poorly and stay safe! I’ve added the flowers from DH for my birthday and the biggest card I’ve ever received!

aggie Thu 21-Jan-21 12:06:46

Good Day all , just missed the Morning ,
Washing blowing on the line and a second load ready to go out in a minute
Had a phone call , got appointment for the vaccine next Tuesday ! How great to get it !

Litterpicker Thu 21-Jan-21 12:00:26

Good morning, just, from a brighter West Sussex by the sea. Trying to remember who’s who on this thread is one of my lockdown mental challenges! Have to catch up on Zoom book club reading as we meet next Wednesday and I’ve only just got the book - Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers. intriguing story and 1950s setting so setting off childhood memories.
Have best possible day all.

Stilllearning Thu 21-Jan-21 11:58:02

Alygran a hard day,?X

CherryCezzy Thu 21-Jan-21 11:43:10

Good morning all from sunny Gower.

The morning has run away from me and only now I've had time to post but I'm fine ?. You are absolutely right Grandmafrench people on this thread are caring and kind. I've stolen your idea today, thanks ? ?

Please look after yourselves all you lovely goodmorningers, ? for those that need some ❤️

HAZBEEN Thu 21-Jan-21 11:37:01

Good morning everyone from near Heathrow. Its a bright sunny morning but a bit chilly! That storm last night did some damage to our garden but not the flats luckily. The large (6foot high) hedge at the front which screens us from the main road partially fell over so my OH is out there now trying to tie it back up. If we wait for the HA to do it it will be dead!
Not a lot on for today, I haven't read through all the posts yet so I will do that now.
Stay safe all.

GrannyOwl5 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:25:25

Good morning everyone from a bright and breezy north Kent. Have just returned from our constitutional along the sea front. Not too busy and blew away the cobwebs.

Will have to bite the bullet later and get DH to cut my hair. It’s three months since I had it done; unfortunately my hairdresser had to cancel my appointment in November as she was ill with tonsillitis then lockdown bore down on us. My hair grows very quickly and is very thick; I always console myself when I unleash DH’ s inner stylist that my hair will soon recover and grow back. Hopefully though, for the sake of marital harmony, he will make a good job of it. ??

Great news about your vaccine Marydoll. Glad to read that the supply of crumpets has been restored EllanVannin; all’s well in the world!

Have a good day everyone. Stay safe

Dwmxwg Thu 21-Jan-21 11:25:23

Good morning all, dry and sunny here in north Surrey. A late one for me. Overnight stay at DD so was getting boys and up for school and then the weekly Tesco shop. On the way to Tesco I let a young lad out at the junction, he then proceeded to drive very fast through a large puddle absolutely soaking a poor lady and he then had the audacity to look back and laugh. I was so angry I took his number plate and Tweeted his number I my outrage, I have so few followers it won’t go anywhere but I was so cross, complete mindless idiot, got that off my chest?
Now I am home and the house looks a tip, it isn’t but I am now on major house clean mode.
Will be back on school run this afternoon and another sleepover at DD’s for childcare.
Tomorrow I am working a long day so probably won’t post.
So have a good Thursday and Friday. I haven’t read any posts as yet, hope all is well and that no GNs and families are caught up in the flooding, will pop back and catch up later

readalot Thu 21-Jan-21 11:05:56

Good morning Mick and everyone from a wet Co Durham. At least we have no snow yet. I'm the same as you mick, I keep snacking, I think it's down to boredom. I watched the President Inauguration yesterday and I thought he did well. He seems like a nice man and his wife seems lovely. He seems to want to do his best for the American people.

Kalu Thu 21-Jan-21 11:00:39

Good morning all. The clouds are lifting to reveal blue skies in our area of Glasgow. No more snowfall and what remains is quickly disappearing Marydoll. Fantastic news you will be able to have the vaccine. ?. I noticed how much lighter it was around 4.50 yesterday. ?

Thanking my lucky stars for modern technology which enables us to have FaceTime catch-ups with our youngest DD and SiL in Australia which we enjoyed this morning. It all helps to make me feel she is not sooo far away.

Basic housework attended to ✔️ Faff about in the garden and we plan to heat the garden room to have coffee and cake in a change of venue. ?. Every little helps.

Wishing a pleasant day for all.

Grandmadougal Thu 21-Jan-21 10:42:45

Good morning from a bright , sunny but windy Norfolk.

Bellasnanna I would love a hairdresser visit, every time I had an appointment lockdown occurred and when I rebooked it was weeks wait then another lockdown! I’m thinking DH might have to follow YouTube instructions soon ?

Watched the inauguration yesterday, was very impressed, let’s
hope things improve soon for America.

Tidying today and possibly a cycle ride later if the wind drops, can’t cycle and have wind buffeting me.

I finally think we’ve got into a lockdown routine of sorts but who knows what’s round the corner.

Wishing everyone a safe day, hoping gillybob is okay.

Happyme Thu 21-Jan-21 10:34:52

Good morning from a windy wet Cumbria. Wild night here too, roads will be flooded I expect but no plans or need to go anywhere. Can't imagine how awful it must be for those whose homes have been flooded. Terrible under normal circumstances but to be forced to leave the safe haven of your home at present must be causing so many additional problems.
Did a big house clean yesterday so at a loose end today, would normally be a child care day but son working from home....all my usual routines are so out of kilter it is hard to find motivation. Dog walks and an hours excercise video are my only daily constants.
On a more positive note my daughter has a date for her 1st and 2nd covid vaccinations, 1st is later this week 2nd in April. She is a nurse and it has been a worry for me that she may be at risk especially as she lives so far away and we would not be on hand to offer any support.
Wishing you all a good day.....sun has just broken through here ?

gillgran Thu 21-Jan-21 10:23:58

Good Morning to you all from a sunny, but still very windy Cambs., We did get heavy rain last night, but no more flooding here thank goodness.

We had a panic phone call from a neighbour yesterday, that her freezer had packed up, I managed to move stuff around so as to free up one drawer in our freezer in the garage.
I sent DH along the road to collect some of her food to store, she had a leg of lamb & several joints of meat.
DH wasn't too happy, muttering that he wasn't allowed out to play golf, but could stagger down the road with a heavy load...!! To cap it all, we broke the front of the freezer drawer trying to get it back in.! sad
That did remind me of Mick, (& a few of you), about the Parsley Box meals, so I thought I may try those, as you said they don't need chilling. They should be a good standby.

Warm wishes to all of you, especially those with extra problems & worries.

Take Care Folk.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 21-Jan-21 10:11:42

Good Morning all from wet and chilly Harrogate.

I had a very bad night last night, seems 2 of my tablets have insomnia as a side effect, so I didn't stand a chance! Phoned the doc and I have to ditch one of them. Phew! I feel like I am still trying to get to sleep! Today will be chilled out, though I shall have to cancel my vaccine appointment at York, I had a text from my GP so I get it in Harrogate Tuesday lunchtime!
I get a Morrisons delivery today, that should keep me busy!
Marydoll you have been very lucky with your hospital stay!
I'm sorry so many of you are having a rough time just now - spring will be here soon and we'll all feel better!

EllanVannin Thu 21-Jan-21 09:54:35

Good Morning All x.
It was bright earlier but has now gone overcast. At least the rain has given off after the last couple of days, but I feel so sorry for those poor souls in flooded, snowy cold areas being wakened in the early hours with warnings. None of those worries here as we're high up.

No sign of D yesterday so I'm supposing that it was bad news about her lovely dog after his sudden collapse the other day. I didn't ring her or I'd have been hopeless too.
I did get another phone-call from the medical centre though to get my vaccination and tried explaining that my D had lost her dog and was obviously upset. I just felt that I was giving excuses all the time and I could feel frustration building up inside me again at having my independence taken from me.

This way of life is really getting to me and without transport at the moment, you're snookered. It's driving me mad. After being told that there are those who've tested positive and still using taxi's that's put me right off too. How damn selfish some members of the public are, it's no wonder this virus has spread. Now this mutation has been found in Liverpool !

It's a good job I sleep well or I would be a nowty old crab grin. I'll just sit tight today and see what happens.
I was browsing through the dozens of lovely flowers to send D in Oz for her Birthday next week and instead of going for the one which really stood out I started going through lots of others then forgot where I'd seen the one which took my eye so I'll have to try and find it. That's what I get for dithering !

Marydoll I'm so glad that you'll be able to have your vaccination. They must have studied your case to reach their decision as there are some things which are unknown.

Wash first, or crumpets ? Decisions,decisions. You can bet your life that if I get the crumpets first, there'll be a knock and I'll still be in my dressing gown grin Yesterday I was better organised and nothing happened----sod's law.

Well I hope everyone's alright and no flood alerts are near, as if things aren't bad enough. Keep safe, dry and well with thoughts to all.

I watched Victoria and Abdul last night---so sad, poor Queen Victoria.

Have a good day All.xx

Grandmabatty Thu 21-Jan-21 09:54:02

Alygran ? much too young to have gone.

grandMattie Thu 21-Jan-21 09:52:53

You are brilliant Blue to install your doorbell 5 minutes before it arrived. Well done!!! grin

BlueSapphire Thu 21-Jan-21 09:47:09

Forgot to mention that DH would have been proud of me on Tuesday!

Ordered a new doorbell on Monday; it arrived 3.30pm Tuesday, installed by 3.25! I just had to stick the bell push to the doorframe with the sticky pad provided, insert batteries in the ringer, choose my tune, and pair the two. It was so easy! Shall be able to hear if anyone's at the door again now.

Grammaretto Thu 21-Jan-21 09:45:22

Good morning everyone from the Scottish Borders. Our wee town was on local TV yesterday due to the heavy snow.
It has been bad beautiful but several trees have come down, including one in my garden blocking the driveway. New directions for deliveries "it's the one with the fallen tree"
MiL in hospital having had a suspected stroke.. A friend in hospital - he fell and broke his leg indoors.

No sign of vaccinations here for my age group (70+) although MiL had the first one which we hope will protect her a bit.

A quick shop today and then my Gaelic homework. DGD will be fluent and all I can say is:
Glè mhath, pronounced gle va and means I'm good or very good.
It will no longer irritate me when someone replies to "How are you?" with "I'm good thanks"

BlueSapphire Thu 21-Jan-21 09:38:06

Grrr, just typed my post and then lost it!

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny ?Northampton, which is cheering after the horrendous rain and wind yesterday.

A Sainsbury's delivery this afternoon and then DD is coming to take me to have my vaccination. After listening to Radio 5 news this morning I am going to play safe and wear my mask in the car with her, although she doesn't go anywhere. She will be able to pick up her and her DH's birthday presents, so I must get busy wrapping.

I too watched the inauguration yesterday and thought it was very dignified. Everyone was dressed beautifully, but I was a bit worried about those without scarves as there looked to be a chill wind blowing around the Capitol. Good luck to the new President. I thought Lady Gaga and J Lo were impressive.

I am going to order more wool today; it may not be essential, but I have regained my long lost knitting 'addiction', and it helps me take my mind off things at this difficult time. I plan on making myself a new cardigan.

Glad to read that Marydoll is going to get her vaccination.

Hoping all have a gentle day.

amselerin Thu 21-Jan-21 09:37:49

Hello, yes, Marydoll, I do live in Lüneburg now. I met my husband on a school exchange and fell in love with him and with Wales, later Cambridgeshire. Hopefully, one day I can move back. 2 of my sons live with their families in Great Britain.x Keep well.