Gransnet forums

Chat

The point of the Gransnet forums

(49 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 09:32:59

For chat, discussion of topical issues, current media focuses.

What do others think?

Lisagran Fri 22-Jan-21 10:37:47

To engage with others around a wide variety of topics. I love to hear about grans living in other countries - France, Switzerland, America, Australia - and their ways of life.

nanna8 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:49:25

It’s a good forum and not over moderated by strange people with sticks up their rear ends which is what I have found on other forums.

Glorybee Fri 22-Jan-21 10:51:56

I love seeing how people think so differently and bring varying aspects and thoughts to issues and topics. Of course, it can be very irritating, but interesting nonetheless!

Kate1949 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:00:41

I first came on here as I had a problem with my relationship with my daughter. People on here helped me no end.
Since then I have enjoyed the lighthearted stuff and also it makes me realise the difficulties and sad times others are going through.

Casdon Fri 22-Jan-21 11:07:36

I think it gives a sense of perspective at the moment, when we can’t live our normal lives - and it keeps my brain active, because when people post things about topics I don’t know much about I go online and check them out, so I keep learning.

JaneD666 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:10:18

Apart from the obvious stuff (chat, recommendations, support) I find it interesting to have a broad range of views, unmoderated by what Facebook thinks I want to see. I'm not sure how representative a cross-section of the (older) population it is, but it's good to get out of the FB bubble, especially for anything touching on Brexit or Covid.

Kate1949 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:24:47

A few years ago we were going on holiday to Northumberland for the first time. We knew nothing about the area. I asked on here for tips on places to go and I was given loads of information and visited a lot of lovely places we wouldn't have known about.

Elegran Fri 22-Jan-21 11:55:08

The point of it is to be a virtual communication channel for whatever people want to talk about. That is a pretty wide remit, and I think it does it brilliantly, in spite of occasional grumbles by posters who don't think it is biased enough toward their preferences.

biba70 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:59:39

Like everything, GN is in the eyes of the beholder and we are all different.

For me, it is about discussing issues related to the UK I can't discuss with neighbours and friends- who apart from tapping their head and raising their eyebrows and saying something like 'what a mess they are making of it, hey!? - don't really know enough about the UK to have a discussion.

Mollygo Fri 22-Jan-21 12:01:59

Elegran that’s about it, but also the opportunity to rant without risking divorce, loss of friends or an atmosphere at work.

Redhead56 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:13:49

I joined when I had become nana to twins and retired from working with my DH. It was light hearted relief from long days helping out with the twins and getting used to being retired.
I joined a thread about having a cleaner and my straight talk obviously upset quite a few! I did not get involved after that for quite a while but since lockdown I have it’s a diversion from the stress. Not seeing my family and being in near solitary confinement.
I look at the threads and sometimes I am in stitches reading the arguments about different subjects. Gransnet is what ever you want it to be.

Kim19 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:17:11

I came on here with the hope of gleaning tips from those more experienced than I. Success indeed. I have made purchases, learned recipes, visited places and much more. Oh yessss..... Thank you Gransnetters. Downside for me is the sad nastiness that erupts from time to time. Happily, I can take my leave - and I do - but find it a bit frustrating when the topic in vogue genuinely interests me.

Lisagran Fri 22-Jan-21 12:49:34

This is what GNHQ themselves say -

^At its heart is a buzzing forum where users debate the hot topics of the day, support each other through tough times and share a laugh. Brimming with useful content covering everything from fashion to food, travel to technology, as well as competitions and an incredibly popular book club, there is something on the site for everyone.
An offshoot of the very brilliant Mumsnet, the leading parents’ website, Gransnet offers a sense of community, which can often be a lifeline, alongside essential lifestyle advice. So whether you're seeking impartial advice from our users, looking for daily dinner ideas, or want to find that perfect gift for a partner or friend, Gransnet is the place for you^

GillT57 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:32:49

I suppose for me it is a place to learn from others ( mistakes or otherwise), feel friendship with people I have never met, discuss what is bothering me and feel grateful that others think the same, or not, as the case may be.

SueDonim Fri 22-Jan-21 14:56:44

It’s for whatever each of us wants it to be, surely? It could be advice or information, for games, for learning from others, for companionship.

Joesoap Fri 22-Jan-21 15:06:19

Its a gentle relief from the general boredom of COVID. It stimulates your brain,and you know you arent alone.
You dont need to comment, or be irritated in which case turn it off. I love GN.

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:31:31

Rabbit holes Google ?

I seem to falling down them more or more at the moment!
When I read a...

Link from GNer.

Name that has been dropped in the conversation age, spouse still alive?

Mention of a song or piece of music.

New house hold appliances
soupmaker

Coronavirus advice support etc
Purchased 2 oximeters.

Science, pets, gardening and so on and so on...

Also find lurking on threads such as Soops kitchen and the Good morning thread, are bit like a cosy blanket or a mug of warm soup.
Strangely comforting with names that I have come to recognize over the years.

sodapop Fri 22-Jan-21 16:20:55

So many things I like about GN. Information, fun, a knowledge that others feel the way I do. Also to hear from others who feel differently and comfort in sad times.
At the moment its a diversion from all that's going on and there have been some really amusing threads recently.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 16:23:24

I agree. It is a massive diversion at the moment. I miss my family so much that it good to have distractions.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:45:00

Some threads do seem pointless
But then, they often end up being the funniest!

I have so much I could be getting on with but don't want to, so I feel as if I'm busy on GN.

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 16:49:13

“ or want to find that perfect gift for a partner or friend, ”
I’ve long had an aversion to the advertiser’s “that”.......” that special someone “. “That little black dress”
Just me sorry !!

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:52:53

LadyHonoriaDedlock

For talking about the sort of thing the sort of people who join Gransnet like to talk about?

That sums it up!!

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 16:56:26

A welcoming, diverse group of company and always there when so much is unpredictable.