Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you do whilst waiting for the kettle to boil?

(50 Posts)
Cabbie21 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:18:48

Generally I time it so it boils when I am ready to make a cuppa after finishing a task, but my husband stands staring out of the window while he waits.
At the very least I would be wiping down a worktop or writing a shopping list, not just hanging about.
This is not a rant, just a lighthearted chat, whilst I am waiting for the kettle to boil.

Mollygo Fri 22-Jan-21 11:57:20

Start emptying the dishwasher. Make tea when the kettle boils then finish unloading and putting away whilst the tea brews.
Later in the day I have been known to throw bread crusts out and watch the gulls deciding whether they dare swoop down and grab a bit.

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 11:59:30

I saw a little video about doing arm curls with weights, so I've started doing those.

Juliet27 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:00:09

Feed the dog or/and empty the dishwasher

Juliet27 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:04:40

Yes Molly for such big boisterous birds it’s surprising that they’re nervous about coming into gardens to pick up scraps.

Franbern Fri 22-Jan-21 12:08:25

Ihave a water heater on my kitchen worktop. So when I want a hot drink, etc. just put the mug or saucepan under that and start it. No waiting around at all.
However, would say than when waiting the whole two minutes for my porridge to be done in the microwave each morning, I spend the time putting away the previous evenings washed up dishes and cutlery.

Redhead56 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:32:50

I ask Alexa to play song I like and watch the birds from the window.

Kim19 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:42:17

Dry any odd bits and pieces on the draining board. Quick nip to the outside bin. Quick nip to the toilet. Surface wipe down. Whatever....... Simply don't stand watching. No way. Sometimes have a gaze out of the window but that's only momentary unless there's an interesting bird or flower (I wish!) that grabs my attention.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 12:44:30

Earlier when the kettle was on I got the key to check and bring in post from the box.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 22-Jan-21 12:55:37

I threw out my old kettle, which took an age to boil, last spring and bought a new one, a De`Longhi which was a Which? best buy. It's really fast at boiling and barely gives me time to warm the teapot and then put the tea in before it gets to that just-on-the-point-of-boiling moment when it's time to pour. So, in the time it takes to get there I'm preparing the pot and haven't time for anything else.

rockgran Fri 22-Jan-21 13:14:30

I find I can do several small jobs but like some others my husband just stands there.

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 13:17:02

Anything that occurs to me from tidying, reading the paper, or nothing at all. I do usually fill the minutes with something useful.

farview Fri 22-Jan-21 13:22:19

Watch the sheep and horses in the fields...plan changes to my garden...

May7 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:12:42

Just been in the kitchen to empty the dishwasher.....husband staring out of window into garden watching blackbirds gathering twigs. So I stood with him (Mindfulness) Had a little chuckle to myself though
wink

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:15:57

I try to do a few exercises like stretching or bending to try to make amends for sitting around bent over knitting or whatever. I obviously need to make more effort.

JackyB Fri 22-Jan-21 14:16:04

mollygo: Start emptying the dishwasher. Make tea when the kettle boils then finish unloading and putting away whilst the tea brews.

Quite. I leave the tea brewing for longer than the kettle takes to boil. So do you all stare at the teapot while it brews then? Or do you have other designated jobs for that?

And to go off on another tack - how long do you leave the tea to brew?

Should I start another thread with that question? I sincerely want to know and don't want to hijack this one,as the answers are fun.

Redhead56 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:23:03

Don’t let the tea brew it would be strong just a quick stir is good enough for me.

HAZBEEN Fri 22-Jan-21 14:39:11

Dont have a kettle, we got a hot water dispenser. Because of arthritis in my hands I find lifting the kettle painful so now I just pop a cup under the spout and press the button. By the time I have got the milk out the water is in the cup. I almost miss standing staring out of the kitchen window waiting for the kettle to boil!

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:42:51

I too have a boiling tap - instant drinks, hot water to cook veg etc. I don't know what I did without it.

Knittynatter Fri 22-Jan-21 15:32:29

I have a chat with David the Lodger (guinea pig) who lives in the kitchen ?

cavewoman Fri 22-Jan-21 15:37:08

Chat with Alexa about the weather.

Juliet27 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:44:34

I like strong tea Jacky so I let it brew for quite a while. This morning I washed the kitchen floor during that time but of course I then had to walk on it to get to my tea ?

marpau Fri 22-Jan-21 22:37:00

Squats or push ups against worktop however as I drink it without milk I do a variety of tasks while it cools.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 22:40:45

I've just got a new one as well Missfoodlove
And, like Bluebelle, I shall be watching it tomorrow.

Shinamae Fri 22-Jan-21 22:48:52

Me too....... push-ups against the sink ?‍♀️