Gransnet forums

Chat

Hygeine 1950s - 2020s

(110 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jan-21 16:40:36

Callistemon

I just took it all for granted and feel like giving my Mum a big hug to say thank you.

Aah, that's so lovely.
You've honestly brought a tear to my eye

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Jan-21 16:37:34

Some of us were really lucky.

Always grateful Mum and Dad.
Happy days.

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Jan-21 16:35:50

I had a bath twice a week most weeks as a child. Once would be Sunday and once in-between. We had toothpaste, soap and flannels and each had our "own" towels.

Clean socks and knickers every day too, and school shirt at least every-other day.

Almost everything was ironed. Even cardigans (and most certainly hair ribbons!)

I was very, very, fortunate and was aware of it, even in my primary school... though I hated "lacy" socks had those too in summer months.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:33:37

I just took it all for granted and feel like giving my Mum a big hug to say thank you.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 16:32:12

I had a bath about three or four times a week but hair wash only once a week. I do remember Mum saying that the people next door only changed their knickers and socks once a week which she found shocking; we had clean every day. A school blouse had to last for two days, sometimes I got a clean one again on a Friday but not always. Cardigan was washed once a week. Gymslips and blazers etc had to go to the dry-cleaners so that was only once a term.

I had wyncyette pyjamas (is that spelt correctly?) and cosy flannelette sheets in the winter, goodness knows how they all got dried. The Laundry Fairy must have worked very hard.

kircubbin2000 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:32:04

Until I was six we lived in a house with no facilites. Water came in a bucket from the well down the road, oil lamps, tin bath at the weekend and privy at end of garden. Washing was done in a boiler once a week,wash board and mangle too. Toast could be made at the open fire.

BBbevan Fri 22-Jan-21 16:25:03

We had a bath and hair wash on a Sunday night ready for school. Other nights it was what my Mam called’a strip wash’.
Clean knickers and socks every day, and a nice ironed hair ribbon. ( 1950s)

cornishpatsy Fri 22-Jan-21 16:05:15

We had a bath and hair wash once a week, 1960s, on a Sunday. Clean underwear every day but socks only twice a week! Also had a wash every evening with mum saying which bits had to be washed , I remember not liking it when I was told I had to wash my knees, no idea why I didn't like it.

There were 6 in our family, everyone had their own flannel which were lined up on the bath rack. I used to take great delight in telling on my sisters if I noticed their flannel was still dry after they were supposed to have had a wash.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-Jan-21 15:56:52

I didn't have a daily bath, and still don't have a daily shower. I don't think it is necessary, except if it is hot and I'm sweating a lot, and I am quite capable of keeping myself clean without a daily bath or shower.

grannyactivist Fri 22-Jan-21 15:46:46

Reading the 'How many pairs of knickers' thread has got me thinking.

As a (very poor) child in the 50s we had a bath (4 children in the same water) probably once a week, never more often, but sometimes less, and our morning wash was face and neck only. Hair 'shampoo' was a bar of soap and I never used deodorant until I was in my late teens. Toothpaste was a rarity, but as we didn't have a toothbrush each until I was fourteen it didn't much matter. shock

My sister and I often shared the little clothing and underwear we had so the first up was the best dressed. Mum used to wash once a week on a Monday and we were expected to wear our clothes for the whole week - yes, including our underwear (which was often also worn in bed as we rarely had nightwear).

My sister and I sometimes used to have overnight visits to our Nana's house and they always included a bath, followed by talcum powder and she once bought us two flannelette nighties each for Christmas. Bliss.

I visited my boyfriend's (later husband) family for three days when I was sixteen and I was shocked to discover that every family member had a bath every night! In fact when I was asked on arrival if I wanted a bath I remember proudly saying that I'd had one the night before (and it wasn't even Friday). blush

Fortunately, by the time I had my own children I had educated myself about good hygiene and ensured that my own children grew up to keep themselves and their clothes clean.

Did you have a daily bath, or were your home circumstances, like mine, not conducive to good hygiene?