Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Sat 23-Jan-21 06:13:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but dry , cold and frosty out there in Brackley this morning .
Plans for the day , will have a frying pan fry up for a change to my routine , usually cereal but a change is just as good .
I have started to use stock of food ,and some pre made up meals from the freezer ,as though this lockdown made me create some meals .
The usual Chinese which I normally have , will be down to the weather today , as staying in the warm is more inviting .
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 19:03:56

❤️

Grandmafrench Sat 23-Jan-21 17:44:22

Don't stress, Urms, you're always allowed to say how you feel. Sorry worries about your DD upset you today - you're just being a Mum - she'll pull up her big girl pants and hopefully feel a bit stronger after the weekend. We're going to get through this together, so let's stick together. x

Welcome Ziva - Litterpicker has just joined and she's from West Sussex. East Sussex was my old stomping ground but many years ago now. Hope to see you post in the morning.

Awful news about your friend's GD, Mary. Everyone on here (following your example) will be wishing hard for a happy ending.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 17:35:07

Here & soops both I think.
Thank you. x

Grandmabatty Sat 23-Jan-21 17:31:04

Urmston I seem to have missed your later post but that is what this is for,to share worries. ?

Marydoll Sat 23-Jan-21 17:28:57

Borrheid, it became a lot calmer as I got older.

My ex colleagues were teasing metoday about my hair. It is extremely curly, below the ears. For some reason the top is flat. I got a perm on top to balance it out. Not the best of ideas. My hair was extremely BIG!

Borrheid55 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:57:04

Marydoll I had saved that video from yesterday! Just had a look - you look lovely! Your hair was a lot darker than I remember it.
All quiet here in Kent. DH did the shop on the way back from work this morning. Looks like he’s opted for chicken stir fry tomorrow instead of a roast dinner. That means he’s cooking.
He doesn’t cook often but has mastered a decent stir fry.
Caught up with the Saturday Times - it’s such a hefty read. Now going to tackle the crosswords regular then Jumbo when the footie is on.
Hope all well stay safe!

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 16:56:58

Thank you for being so kind. I popped back to re-read my posts and was then going to request that GNHQ delete them. I’m relieved not to have generated more upset.

You are all so lovely. x

brook2704 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:50:47

Urmston no need for an apology,it gets to us all and it’s no wonder you’re feeling emotional when you hear such sad tragic stories. Sending hugs ❤️

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:33:48

Urmston it is all around us so posting things makes no difference. It was scary watching Boris last night. I am so sorry for your DD - it is very hard I know I would have struggled if I was still teaching.

Thinking about your friend's daughter Mary. It should indeed be a time of celebration not a time of fear.

Scentia Sat 23-Jan-21 16:28:22

Urms. It’s nothing we can’t all hear on the news, you must not apologise. You know, worrying about things won’t help neither, look after yourself and the people you come into contact with, that is all we can do. I hear your concerns about your daughter in the classroom and that is understandable❤️ but worry will not stop things happening.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 16:21:30

My sincere apologies to everyone.
I shouldn’t have posted that.
It doesn’t help anyone and in fact just shares my alarm and anxieties today.

Probably daughter-related. I feel a bit emotional about it all today.

Some days it just IS. xx

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 16:04:41

I’m hearing of so much tragic news Marydoll. A policeman here in Trafford has died from covid at the age of only 37y. No underlying conditions. Fit, not overweight. And on the news just now, a daughter talking about the loss of her teacher father at the age of 55y. Both caught covid in December. She got better, he worsened and sadly died.

It’s all getting frightening - it’s not just old people, the ones with co-morbitities, the frail. It’s fit healthy younger people now that we’re hearing about. That teacher apparently loved the outdoors. He was mountain climbing a few months ago.
It’s scary.

Marydoll Sat 23-Jan-21 15:54:28

Thank you all. All prayers appreciated. I can't stop thinking about that poor girl, alone in hospital. ?

Stilllearning Sat 23-Jan-21 15:39:33

Prayers being said for your friend and her family Marydoll

hulahoop Sat 23-Jan-21 15:35:51

Welcome to gransnet ziva .

hulahoop Sat 23-Jan-21 15:34:39

Good afternoon from a cold w/York's o/h had first jab this morning.
marydoll hope your friend gets some better news soon .

Ziva Sat 23-Jan-21 15:15:49

Good afternoon from West Sussex, been a lovely sunny day, rather cold but glorious blue skies.
BTW this is my first post, anyone else living in west sussex??

Marydoll Sat 23-Jan-21 15:00:38

Thank you, Kalu. My friend was exhausted yesterday. She said she had cried all day. She had Covid at the beginning of the Pandemic and then a cancer op. I felt so awful for her.

Kalu Sat 23-Jan-21 14:50:09

I have just read about your friend’s granddaughter Marydoll. I feel so sorry for this young couple, the arrival of their new baby should be such a happy occasion instead of this nightmare they are having to go through. I sincerely hope all turns out well for them and of course that poor girl who must be so frightened. I wish her a speedy recovery and a safe delivery. ?

Jaxjacky Sat 23-Jan-21 13:56:56

Urmstongran my daughter works in a school, from next week they’re getting 2 self test kits, Sun/Wed. Not the same as the vaccine by any means, but better.
Good stuff EllenVannin ??

EllanVannin Sat 23-Jan-21 13:46:49

Urmston I feel for your daughter as I keep saying to mine, they shouldn't be in school. I'm not surprised she's scared of catching it again as her resistance won't be the same for a long time yet.
The teachers should have been second on the list after NHS staff to get their jabs, it's ridiculous. This home schooling a couple of times a week is getting D down too as she doesn't know half the stuff they're doing now to what she did at school-----so both yours and mine sound moth-eaten.

Yes, D will be here in just under an hour and thankfully it's not busy on a Saturday. I bet they'll be glad/ relieved to see me after all the phone-calls I've had. It's been difficult for D to fit the time in with one thing and another.

Hope your daughter can get or even enjoy some rest over the weekend. x

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 12:38:45

Excellent news you’re to get your first jab today EV.

I know what you mean about the news/pandemic. I’ve just had our covid warrior daughter on the phone. Teaching, no PPE to be worn in the classrooms, Early Years so sat doing maths up close to 3 little faces. She’s scared of getting the virus again with the new variant. Teachers won’t get their jabs till April she thinks. 2 colleagues off work so she’s having to take up some of the slack. I could tell she feels like crying.

We chatted for ages. Now she’ll be on her laptop all afternoon as has to lesson plan now for the extra class she’s covering for. She’s running on empty I can tell.

Megs36 Sat 23-Jan-21 12:38:20

Thankyou Scentia, as I said most of mine are miles away so driving to a meet up is I believe not encouraged,and we are both pretty dodgy re ‘active’ although we walked to the end of the road yesterday.???

EllanVannin Sat 23-Jan-21 12:05:53

Good Morning All x
Lightening, thunder, snow and hail at 7am, as good an alarm call as you can get grin
Then the fox yapping outside, which is why old Tom is missing this morning.

D phoned up to say she had a call from the medical centre yesterday to see if she could take me today for my jab today.
She's in between shifts from work so is able to for 3pm this afternoon.
GD has been tested for Covid as she's not well but so far we don't know the results. That'll put the cat among the pigeons as D won't be able to take me shopping. In fact I'm taking a chance seeing her today as it was only yesterday that she saw GD.

Just as well I'm having the jab now I suppose, although it takes a couple of weeks to kick-in.

The dog was sadly put down so obviously she didn't feel like talking which is understandable and she can't believe he's not there.

I purposely didn't watch the update yesterday as knowing that a pandemic doesn't " vanish" for a couple of years and no vaccine will be found because of the virus changeing each year, I didn't see the point in feeling any worse than I did yesterday.

What did brighten my day was Carys's picture of the bluebird. It's so beautiful and deserves framing, I would. I've actually seen a bluebird and they're gorgeous little things.
Speaking of birds, I heard the crows squawking last night which I thought was unusual late on. Quite a menagerie here.

Bed-changeing to do and a shepherds pie to get in the oven, so enough to keep me going .
Hope everyone's well and staying safe as well as keeping warm----(it's getting lighter in the evenings now) hooray.
Take care everyone. xx

Georgesgran Sat 23-Jan-21 11:51:45

Good (only just) morning from Durham. My goodness - 3 glorious but cold days in a row - spoiling us!
Belly button day again for me, but going to lie in a hot bath with tea and a book and a walk later with DH if he feels up to it.
Stay safe everyone. X