Gransnet forums

Chat

In your experience, are people who share a house called at the same time for the vaccine.

(64 Posts)
littleflo Sat 23-Jan-21 11:30:07

I am due my vaccine tomorrow following a text message to my phone. My DH is older than me but has heard nothing. I would like to know if this is common among GNetters.

4xGranny Sat 30-Jan-21 11:07:47

Boz What is the point of having rules and being invited for the vaccine if people are just going to turn up when they feel like it?
When I went for mine they have a list and cross off the names when you register. They would not have allowed hangers on to just turn up!

Atqui Fri 29-Jan-21 21:46:22

Grandma11 Please don’t worry. I’m sure it doesn’t work that way.

Boz Thu 28-Jan-21 21:37:52

Dont try to make an appointment for your partner. Just go in, ask and they will say yes. I haven't heard of anyone turned away.
Shropshirelass
Our GP is in Shropshire and their performance has been awful - no vaccines. We went to Birmingham and they were good,
I hear Telford has a centre to-day, so good luck. Just breeze in with your partner and ask for a jab. Be assertive.

4xGranny Thu 28-Jan-21 20:48:49

We were informed by a phone call from the GP surgery. My husband had the Oxford vaccine, I had the Pfizer.

4xGranny Thu 28-Jan-21 20:43:29

My husband is 75 and had his last Thursday. I am 70 and had mine this morning.

Jamaloka Thu 28-Jan-21 19:52:15

My husband and I have received letters with appointments on same day, same time and in same vaccination centre.

Nightsky2 Thu 28-Jan-21 16:54:17

DH has had two appointments. The first one was booked for Monday next and then we both had texts messages from our doctors surgery on Monday morning offering us appointments for tomorrow. We choose to go together, it’s within walking distance whereas the other was a short drive away. The first appointment which was by letter from NHS was then cancelled,

Iam64 Wed 27-Jan-21 21:40:06

Our surgery phoned with my appointment which is this week. My husband is 18 months younger but they offered him the appointment after mine

Cabbie21 Wed 27-Jan-21 21:33:43

I was able to book mine after a couple of days of trying as at first they were still trying to get through the over 80ies. I have booked for next Monday from the options given. It will mean driving about 7 miles each way. Today I got a second letter, similar but not identical. This one had my NHS number encoded. It was transparent in the first.
DH has heard nothing yet, but I am 75, he is 74.

Tangerine Wed 27-Jan-21 21:24:54

I have had to book appointments for elderly people and have not been able to get appointments on the same day even though they live in the same house.

I didn't get the invitations the same day so it wasn't really possible. It didn't really matter as the vaccination centre isn't too far from their home and it is not too much trouble to take them separately.

Callistemon Wed 27-Jan-21 19:50:03

In your experience, are people who share a house called at the same time for the vaccine.

No, and not even in the same location.

SueDonim Wed 27-Jan-21 18:56:14

My mum is 93 and hasn’t heard a cuckoo. sad We’re in Scotland and the roll out seems to be going quite badly wrong here. It’s claimed that they’ve prioritised care home residents but there are only about 35k care home residents, while there are nearly 250k over-80’s.

The Scottish govt has only used about half its allocated doses and surgeries are crying out for it, but aren’t getting it. Only one big centre was working yesterday, others aren’t opening until next week. They’ve had months to plan this, why have they left it so late? It’s really upsetting and distressing for older people and their families.

littleflo Wed 27-Jan-21 15:08:05

I am not sure how ours works really. I had mine after being notified by text and now I have had an appointment letter. I thought, at first it was for second shot, but it is for the first. It says to ignore the letter if you have had it already. DH is still waiting.

Atqui Wed 27-Jan-21 12:31:32

Hurrah! I received a letter with an appointment for the second
Jab.Its the day after my husbands , but that will be two outings instead of one , with a coffee and cake while we wait the prescribed 15 mins in the lounge. Do hope they haven’t changed the venue grin

Granny23 Wed 27-Jan-21 11:31:58

Both couples I know, (who are one over and one under 80) had their Vaccinations together at GP's surgery a fortnight ago. That is in Central Scotland.

Witzend Wed 27-Jan-21 11:18:06

Phone call this morning - I’m booked in for first jab on Friday, exactly a week after dh. I’m nearly 72, he’s 16 months older, so it would seem that as I’d suspected, they’re doing it in age order.

Grandma11 Tue 26-Jan-21 04:30:35

My DH is 80 and had his Vaccination a fortnight ago, I am 63 and in the Sheilding category, yet it may be a few weeks yet until I am offered mine. We are also concerned that now he has Antibodies to Cornona virus, he could potentially infect me.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:53:08

maryrose54

GrannyRose, my husband who is in his early 60s got an appointment for this week on. When he queried why, he was told that they are getting through their list quickly. We are grateful but feel a bit guilty.

Please don't feel guilty!

GrannySomerset Mon 25-Jan-21 15:23:21

We were not only not called together but had our vaccinations in different places. But at least we’ve had them!

maryrose54 Mon 25-Jan-21 15:20:15

We are also in a town which has a designated vaccination centre.

maryrose54 Mon 25-Jan-21 15:18:53

GrannyRose, my husband who is in his early 60s got an appointment for this week on. When he queried why, he was told that they are getting through their list quickly. We are grateful but feel a bit guilty.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 02:51:48

maryrose54

It seems Norfolk is the place to be if you want a vaccine.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 02:45:53

I think it's mad not to call people together, especially when it means a long journey. Problems come when there are big age gaps. My 89 year old BIL has had his first jab but my 74 year old sister hasn't. As she had to take him for the appointment it would have seemed to make more sense for them to have it together.
My biomedical scientist daughter has her first appointment on Tuesday. Not too bothered about myself yet as at 64 I might have to wait a while, but really glad she is having hers as she's the one that has been telling me what I can and can't do for the last 11 months. Maybe she'll let me out once she feels safe.

heath480 Mon 25-Jan-21 02:03:29

My friend and her husband have both had both doses of the vaccine.

She is 76,he is 82.Both done at GP Surgery.

He is in bad health with dementia and my friend is his sole career.

Atqui Sun 24-Jan-21 14:48:01

When I went with my husband (85) to the centre doing the vaccine I actually told them I was not there to have it as I was not 80. ( this was before Christmas) , but they offered it to me and to other younger partners / relatives. Now they say I can’t have my 2nd one 10:weeks hence , (this is when they are doing them ) I wonder what I am supposed to do. We aren’t supposed to ring our GP s understandably, and I presumes one should have the 2nd jab at the same centre as the first.