Gransnet forums

Chat

In your experience, are people who share a house called at the same time for the vaccine.

(63 Posts)
littleflo Sat 23-Jan-21 11:30:07

I am due my vaccine tomorrow following a text message to my phone. My DH is older than me but has heard nothing. I would like to know if this is common among GNetters.

Witzend Sat 23-Jan-21 11:35:32

My dh had his first jab yesterday. I haven’t heard yet. We are both over 70 but he’s only 16 months older.
I’ve assumed that either they’re doing it in age order, or he’s been called first because of a not too serious health issue.

However if I haven’t heard within 2 or 3 weeks I will contact the GP, where I’m thankfully not at all a regular visitor, but where I had the flu jab back in the autumn, so I should definitely be on their books.

Kate1949 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:38:50

We haven't been called yet. We are 71 and 74. Neighbours over the road have been given appointments on different days. We rang our GP but there is a message to say 'Please don't call about the vaccine. This is being rolled out by NHS England.'

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 11:39:38

No, there is a list online of order of priority although it doesn't always seem to be adhered to.

DH has been today, I haven't heard yet.

Are you both in the same age range or do you have an underlying condition?

Esspee Sat 23-Jan-21 11:41:35

No

Jane43 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:51:14

We are both 77, DH is 4 months older than me, and we had our letters on Monday, presumably because we are more or less the same age. We went on line at the same time and picked the same day and time slot. My friend in Bedfordshire is 77 like us and her husband is 80 next month. She had a letter on Monday, her husband didn’t have a letter but she is vulnerable due to health issues. The only vaccination centre available was too far for them to travel to so she called the number on the letter and she was offered an appointment at her GP practice today. She mentioned her husband’s age and that he has to accompany her and he was given an appointment for the same time. These are only two cases but I would conclude that vulnerable people have precedence, then over 70s in age order. I don’t think being in the same household has any sway on when you are called unless one person is a carer for the other.

Witzend Sat 23-Jan-21 11:55:23

My elder sister and her dh (both a little over 75, he has health issues, she doesn’t) both heard the other day that they’re getting their first jabs on Monday.

I dare say it may vary by area. They’re in N Yorks, we’re in SW London.

littleflo Sat 23-Jan-21 12:03:44

Thank you for those replies. Neither of us have health issues but we live in a high infection area.

Kim19 Sat 23-Jan-21 12:05:44

My friend was called by local surgery and given appointment and then they asked to speak to his wife and she was given her adjacent appointment. They are both in similar age bracket but was interested in the individual approach rather than letting him share the message. The more I think about it, sounds totally professional way to proceed.

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Jan-21 12:10:30

No, one couple I know, she is disabled, he isn’t had theirs separately. He had to travel about 15miles to his hub she was visited at home. They are both elderly.??‍♀️

Lucca Sat 23-Jan-21 13:07:39

littleflo

Thank you for those replies. Neither of us have health issues but we live in a high infection area.

If DH accompanies you and is older I’d say there’s a fair chance they’ll jab him too ! Just try.

Teacheranne Sat 23-Jan-21 14:03:02

In my area, they are still getting through the over 80’s so it’s interesting to hear that in some parts those in younger age groups are getting appointments. I do know of couples who were not initially given appointments at the same time querying it and then getting the second appointment. It makes sense to me as long as they are both in the same category.

I’m waiting patiently for my turn, at age 64, I think I’ll have a long wait!

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 14:09:26

Over 80s here too

In another area I know that a friend in her 70s was invited for hers and her husband, in his 80s with health problems, had an appointment the next day, both at a hub some distance from home.

Cabbie21 Sat 23-Jan-21 14:09:51

I got my letter this morning inviting me to log in or ring for an appointment, but actually at the moment, they are still trying to get all the over 80ies done, so I could not get an appointment.
DH who is a year young and in a different age bracket, has not yet had his letter, though his health conditions make him more at risk.

EllanVannin Sat 23-Jan-21 14:10:44

It seems to be the 80's here too, then presumably they'll work downwards. It's going to be a long-haul for the staff---no wonder they'd been pestering me.

timetogo2016 Sat 23-Jan-21 14:21:03

It sounds ridiculous to not vaccinate a household at the same time.

SpringyChicken Sat 23-Jan-21 14:21:37

The 81 year old up the road has had his but not his 71 year old wife.

SpringyChicken Sat 23-Jan-21 14:29:11

timetogo2016

It sounds ridiculous to not vaccinate a household at the same time.

Not really. More lives will be saved by vaccinating the defined priority categories in order. For example, vaccinating 1000 people aged 80+ will save more lives for those 1000 vaccines than if they are given to mixed age households. It’s been carefully calculated

harrigran Sat 23-Jan-21 14:37:40

DH 76 was vaccinated 10 days ago, on the day he was done I got an appointment for 48 hours later. I don't know any couples done together except my immediate neighbours and they got appointments together for yesterday, they are 72 and 70.
My friend and her DH are exactly the same age, 70,one was done this week and the other hasn't heard yet.
There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the appointments.

Shropshirelass Sat 23-Jan-21 14:44:11

We are still waiting and my DH is extremely clinically vulnerable, both under 70. My friend who lives in a different county is 65 and she has just had her first jab, her partner is a bit older with health conditions and he had his about three weeks ago. My friend said she was offered hers because she could go up the stairs at the surgery!

Shropshirelass Sat 23-Jan-21 14:44:55

PS. I am asthmatic so expect to be called soon.

grannysyb Sat 23-Jan-21 14:47:11

DH who is 82 had his on the 14th, I'm 73 had mine on the 20th. There was a notice saying to carers or those bringing people into the hub not to ask for a vaccination as they only had enough for those with appointments.

SueDonim Sat 23-Jan-21 14:49:02

Some of the GP practices where my mum lives are doing the vacc by alphabetical order so if you share a name, I guess you’ll be called at the same time. However, that’s against the JCVI recommendations, so people are quite rightly angry that healthy 70yos are getting their jabs before frail 96yos.

M0nica Sat 23-Jan-21 15:26:42

if you have an appointment and your DH doesn't, why not just ring your surgery now and ask.

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 15:29:38

I think here we're being asked not to phone and to leave the line open for other urgent appointments. DH didn't ask when I would be called when he went today - there seemed to be a very efficient system in operation and he didn't want to interrupt the flow.